India's Tour to South Africa, 2013

India scared of losing to South Africa - Fanie De Villers Fanie de Villiers was never known for his great public oratory but since the India-South Africa fracas started, the former South Africa pacer has been very vocal on the topic. He thinks the crux of the whole matter is that India are afraid of playing a longer series against his country. "Indian cricket is scared of playing four Tests against us," he tells Mirror in an exclusive conversation. "You would probably lose all the four matches in a row. You've used politics to shorten the tour." He doesn't stop there. "We're the world No 1 team and the BCCI is aware of our prowess at home. It is using the Haroon Lorgat issue as an excuse. The truth is India are afraid that South Africa are going to beat them hands down." A commentator and television pundit, de Villiers says the shortened tour, decided by the two boards after protracted deliberations, will hamper the development programme undertaken by Cricket South Africa (CSA). He blames India for that. "South Africa is not benefiting from the truncated tour because we've embarked upon a development programme among the majority community of our country. We don't have much money for it. Our government is not funding the programme. India are not aware that a lot of people will be losing their jobs. You guys have taken cricket away from thousands and thousands of black children who would have been encouraged to play cricket. That is the ripple effect of the shortened tour." However, the 49-year-old former pacer does not expect a hostile reception for the Indian team as has been largely anticipated. "I don't expect that to happen. We're a fun-loving country. The normal average person in the public does not care the problems between the two boards," he declares. The former cricketer thinks the BCCI's demand vis-a-vis Haroon Lorgat is a blot in CSA sovereignty. "It is our country. And you are telling us not to pick the best man for the job. It does not matter that Haroon had problems with the India when he was in the ICC. But he was the best man for us. How can you tell us who to select and who not to. It is ridiculous. In principle India should not have interfered in the matter. Can anyone tell you who your daughter must marry to? In the long term, Haroon's appointment could ruin our relations with the BCCI but in South Africa, he was the right choice." However, de Villiers says CSA could have avoided messing up with the BCCI's sentiments. "Your country is South Africa's biggest account. Your sentiment regarding Haroon could have been accommodated. I come from a business world and I know the intricacies. You are a fool if you are appointing somebody who can jeopardise your biggest account. South Africa is wrong in appointing that person but then South African cricket management has been poor in the last 15 years anyway." The South African thinks the lessons from the whole controversy is that one should listen to the big dog. "I know that is the way the big dogs and big rhinos conduct. You do listen to your biggest account that is India. I must salute you guys for the way you have marked the game in your country. You would be treated better if you have sympathy for smaller countries." http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/series-tournament/india-in-south-africa-2013-14/top-stories/India-is-not-playing-longer-series-because-of-fear-of-losing-Fanie-de-Villiers/articleshow/25037183.cms

oh please so we are scared of SA that is why we went on and made the england series 5 tests instead of 4. A place were we were blanked 4-0. This populist mind numbing journalist has to stop. I am reading some south african poster comments and they keep saying Sahara (owned by the Guptas) is the sponcor of the Indian cricket team. When in reality they are not even the same company of Subhrata Roy. Maybe Fannie needs to be asked. Why are India touring SA again when SA have not toured India since 2010. Its like two back to back trips. Are south africa "scared" of touring India