India's Tour to South Africa, 2013

You beat me to saying that :). Gotta love how people call him a failure after just 1 test and 15-17 ODI's :hysterical:. He has been in and out of the team so far.
You have to grab the opportunity whenever you play and if you do well in that only then you will get long run. Otherwise, it is an excuse for temperamentally timid players.
You have to grab the opportunity whenever you play and if you do well in that only then you will get long run. Otherwise' date=' it is an excuse for temperamentally timid players.[/quote'] That same was said for Dhawan(I still don't call him a longterm success, because he hasnt played overseas yet) when he was in and out of the team. No one expected him to come out of nowhere this year and score runs the way the he did. 17 ODI's. Many of you were calling him a hack prior to this year weren't you? Rahane has played less than 25 matches. You have to remember that it takes time for certain players to build their comfort zones in international cricket. Alastair Cook TRULY didn't become an elite player until after 6 years(although he was still scoring centuries then). Gambhir was proclaimed as the next best Indian opener after Gavaskar after 27 matches. Look at how that worked out in his next 20 matches. He went from a 57 Average to 44. Rohit Sharma was considered a failure UNTIL this year. If Rahane plays close to 35-40 matches and still has a sub average of 20-25, THEN he is a failure. People fail to factor in the possibility that Rahane might have had 1st test match nerves in Delhi. While what you say is partially true, all I'm saying is that it's way too early to even judge him. He could still improve and go on to be a good- great player.
That same was said for Dhawan(I still don't call him a longterm success, because he hasnt played overseas yet) when he was in and out of the team. No one expected him to come out of nowhere this year and score runs the way the he did. 17 ODI's. Many of you were calling him a hack prior to this year weren't you? Rahane has played less than 25 matches. You have to remember that it takes time for certain players to build their comfort zones in international cricket. Alastair Cook TRULY didn't become an elite player until after 6 years(although he was still scoring centuries then). Gambhir was proclaimed as the next best Indian opener after Gavaskar after 27 matches. Look at how that worked for him in his next 20 matches. Rohit Sharma was considered a failure UNTIL this year. If Rahane plays close to 35-40 matches and still has a sub average of 20-25, THEN he is a failure. People fail to factor in the possibility that Rahane might have had 1st test match nerves in Delhi. While what you say is partially true, it is way too early to even judge him. He could still improve and go on to be a good- great player.
Patience is not a virtue that many on ICF have........
Rahane needs to work on his front foot game and footwork. He does not come on to front foot on fuller deliveries and stays in the crease. His back foot game is fine.
How can you call him a 'failure' when he hasn't even had a consistent run? :facepalm:
I'm saying he was a failure because he is very susceptible against tall fast bowlers and his strike rate is pathetic in Odis. Even for RR Ipl team he is not known as a power hitter and his strike rate is kinda 110s which is no good. But I do agree with you that he can't be called as a failure in test matches. But in Odis, he is no good.
That same was said for Dhawan(I still don't call him a longterm success, because he hasnt played overseas yet) when he was in and out of the team. No one expected him to come out of nowhere this year and score runs the way the he did. 17 ODI's. Many of you were calling him a hack prior to this year weren't you? Rahane has played less than 25 matches. You have to remember that it takes time for certain players to build their comfort zones in international cricket. Alastair Cook TRULY didn't become an elite player until after 6 years(although he was still scoring centuries then). Gambhir was proclaimed as the next best Indian opener after Gavaskar after 27 matches. Look at how that worked out in his next 20 matches. He went from a 57 Average to 44. Rohit Sharma was considered a failure UNTIL this year. If Rahane plays close to 35-40 matches and still has a sub average of 20-25, THEN he is a failure. People fail to factor in the possibility that Rahane might have had 1st test match nerves in Delhi. While what you say is partially true, all I'm saying is that it's way too early to even judge him. He could still improve and go on to be a good- great player.
I never called Dhawan Hack. I was his biggest supporter since his U19 WC days. Dhawan did poorly and was dropped but grabbed the opportunities with both hands on his return. Gambhir is still the third best opener we had. Neither I am saying Rahane is a failure. I do not discard players at such young age when they can always improve with exposure but Rahane will have to grab his chances. The way he batted in his debut test at Delhi was embarrassing for someone who once averaged 70 in FC cricket.
I never called Dhawan Hack. I was his biggest supporter since his U19 WC days. Dhawan did poorly and was dropped but grabbed the opportunities with both hands on his return.
I didn't mean you literally. I meant the forum in general. Ive seen how you've supported him from the past threads(Hey, I love memoryl lane) Go back to the pre Mohali test threads. He was deemed a failure before he even played his first test. What changed for him is that he developed a hunger to score runs and changed his entire mindset for the better. So Rahane should be given a reasonable amount of time to express himself. Players need some support from team, captain and management. The only players I hated seeing given chances time and time again were Ishant(because he didn't even try to improve and acted a little obnoxious with that spearhead statement) and Vinay(because he just didn't have the talent and was deprieving another pacer).
I didn't mean you literally. I meant the forum in general. Ive seen how you've supported him from the past threads(Hey' date= I love memoryl lane) Go back to the pre Mohali test threads. He was deemed a failure before he even played his first test. What changed for him is that he developed a hunger to score runs and changed his entire mindset for the better. So Rahane should be given a reasonable amount of time to express himself. Players need some support from team, captain and management. The only players I hated seeing given chances time and time again were Ishant(because he didn't even try to improve and acted a little obnoxious with that spearhead statement) and Vinay(because he just didn't have the talent and was deprieving another pacer).
You might have taken my sarcastic posts seriously.
You have to grab the opportunity whenever you play and if you do well in that only then you will get long run. Otherwise' date=' it is an excuse for temperamentally timid players.[/quote'] Does this rule apply for everyone or is it just Rahane? Rohit failed a hundred times before he 'grabbed' on to his opportunity.
Does this rule apply for everyone or is it just Rahane? Rohit failed a hundred times before he 'grabbed' on to his opportunity.
what rubbish? Rohit played a big in role us winning CB series 2008. He had lean patch after that and was always in and out and also never had a long run. It is just a perception that Rohit has not done anything. He averaged 38 in 2010, 55 in 2011 in ODIs, was poor in 2012 and was rightly dropped from the XI after that for England series and only came back as an opener against England when GG, Viru, and Rahane failed at opening and he grabbed the opportunity. Even in his inconsistent phases, Rohit had shown the spark and match winning abilities with 2 MOS performances home and away on difficult pitches.
what rubbish? Rohit played a big in role us winning CB series 2008. He had lean patch after that and was always in and out and also never had a long run. It is just a perception that Rohit has not done anything. He averaged 38 in 2010, 55 in 2011 in ODIs, was poor in 2012 and was rightly dropped from the XI after that for England series and only came back as an opener against England when GG, Viru, and Rahane failed at opening and he grabbed the opportunity. Even in his inconsistent phases, Rohit had shown the spark and match winning abilities with 2 MOS performances home and away on difficult pitches.
Nailed it..:hatsoff: