Indian deputy consul general arrested in US on visa fraud charges

maniac

By the way, couple of years ago an Indian diplomat in Britain was accused of brutally assaulting his wife. Even though a lot of hue and cry was raised (esp. by the airhead feminists in India and Britain) the Indian govt refused permission for his prosecution in UK and did not waive his immunity. Then the UK govt exercised the only option available to them and declared the diplomat persona-non-grata and he left his post in UK.
Right and you're talking about Anil Verma but he was part of the "High Commission office". I am not sure if the Consulate staff fall under the same category.

Right and you're talking about Anil Verma but he was part of the "High Commission office". I am not sure if the Consulate staff fall under the same category.
Yes' date=' I think she is a Consul-general and is entitled to consular immunity and not diplomatic immunity. You posted the wrong link, this is the Vienna Convention on consular relations : [url']http://cil.nus.edu.sg/rp/il/pdf/1963%20Vienna%20Convention%20on%20Consular%20Relations-pdf.pdf . In any case, she should not have been arrested like that. She certainly did not commit a grave crime like murder or was a flight risk. By the way Prabhu Dayal was never arrested like this, and eventually the charges were dropped I believe.

Yes' date=' I think she is a Consul-general and is entitled to consular immunity and not diplomatic immunity. You posted the wrong link, this is the Vienna Convention on consular relations : [url']http://cil.nus.edu.sg/rp/il/pdf/1963%20Vienna%20Convention%20on%20Consular%20Relations-pdf.pdf . In any case, she should not have been arrested like that. She certainly did not commit a grave crime like murder or was a flight risk. By the way Prabhu Dayal was never arrested like this, and eventually the charges were dropped I believe.
Thanks for the correction! Can you post the relevant section for diplomatic immunity? What does it read according you? The bold part is where I agree. Prabhu Dayal was left free but not after a lot of controversy.

Thanks for the correction! Can you post the relevant section for diplomatic immunity? What does it read according you? The bold part is where I agree. Prabhu Dayal was left free but not after a lot of controversy.
Article 41 Personal Inviolability Of Consular Officers 1. Consular officers shall not be liable to arrest or detention pending trial, except in the case of a grave crime and pursuant to a decision by the competent judicial authority. 2. Except in the case specified in paragraph 1 of this article, consular officers shall not be committed to prison or be liable to any other form of restriction on their personal freedom save in execution of a judicial decision of final effect. 3. If criminal proceedings are instituted against a consular officer, he must appear before the competent authorities. Nevertheless, the proceedings shall be conducted with the respect due to him by reason of his official position and, except in the case specified in paragraph 1 of this article, in a manner which will hamper the exercise of consular functions as little as possible. When, in the circumstances mentioned in paragraph 1 of this article, it has become necessary to detain a consular officer, the proceedings against him shall be instituted with the minimum of delay.
Clearly, paragraph 1 says that a consular officer should not be arrested unless it is a grave crime. Now this lady was the acting Consul General and was arrested publicly while she was dropping off her children to school. Really, really disgusting behavior by the US authorities.

I thought the difference b/w having an embassy and having a consulate was the common-wealth? i.e' date=' UK has an embassies in India, while US has consulates?[/quote']No. For Commonwealth nations we have High Commissions and otherwise Embassies. The Consulates-General are secondary bodies located at other important cities to facilitate trade/business/social ties and for visas. For Commonwealth nations these are called Deputy High Commissions.

No. For Commonwealth nations we have High Commissions and otherwise Embassies. The Consulates-General are secondary bodies located at other important cities to facilitate trade/business/social ties and for visas. For Commonwealth nations these are called Deputy High Commissions.
Gotcha!

Apparently, Ms Khobragade was strip searched by the US police after her arrest and made to sit with hardened criminals like drug dealers !!!! This is unreal and beyond belief that an Indian Consul general and a mother of two children would be subject to such degradation.

Apparently' date=' Ms Khobragade was [b']strip searched by the US police after her arrest and made to sit with hardened criminals like drug dealers !!!! This is unreal and beyond belief that an Indian Consul general and a mother of two children would be subject to such degradation.
Sure but why this news is coming out now. This is like I need some sympathy to get out of this mess. Dont know if this is real after her father says his daughter is innocent BS. He actually told she made the maid sign a new contract for 3.35. Idiot doesn't know US laws apparently.

Turning into full fledged diplomatic row now. Sonia Gandhi Meira Kumar Rahul Gandhi Narendra Modi The NSA all snub the US congressial delegation. India asks all US consulates and embassies to return ID cards that gave them diplomatic immunity and allegedly have cancelled their airport passes. A review is ongoing whether each and every Indian law is followed by the US consulars including article 377. :popcorn: Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2

Diplomatic row? I don't think I have witnessed anything like this before! Read the below

PTI_News: Government to remove all traffic barricades near the US Embassy on Nyaya Marg in Delhi except the picket. PTI_News: Government stops all import clearances for the US embassy including liquor. PTI_News: Government also seeks visa and other details of all teachers at US schools and pay and bank accounts of those of Indians in these schools. PTI_News: India calls for details including salaries paid to all Indian staff employed at the US consulates, including by Consulate officers and famil PTI_News: India withdraws all airport passes for US diplomats -both from Embassy and Consulates. PTI_News: The move may be a precursor to reviewing immunity and benefits enjoyed by US consular officers in India: Sources. PTI_News: India asks US to return all ID cards issued to their consular officers posted in the country: Govt sources.
India might as well unfriend the US on Facebook and stop Following them on Twitter.