Watson: Best all-rounder after Kallis?

JourneyMan

Watson is atleast 2 grades below Kallis in batting. In bowling Kallis is slightly above Watson though he didn't bowl match in the end of his career. Watson is also 5th bowling option for his side. He is an average all rounder. Will continue to be one as long as he tries to play everything on the frontfoot.

Ashwin needs to work on his bowling. Jadeja has improved bowling a lot' date=' but needs to work on his batting. It's not international standard by any stretch of the imagination. Broad and Johnson both have unfulfilled potential with the bat. Stokes is headed for a bright future.[/quote'] Broad is clueless against fast bouncers, Johnson is clueless on spinning tracks. Did have issues against Ashwin. Stokes looks a good bat. But bowlingwise no special skills. May be will end up like Dwayne Bravo?
Broad is clueless against fast bouncers' date=' Johnson is clueless on spinning tracks. Did have issues against Ashwin. Stokes looks a good bat. But bowlingwise no special skills. May be will end up like Dwayne Bravo?[/quote'] Johnson and Broad definitely have their limitations but i've also seen them play some beautiful knocks. I'm sure their limitations can be worked on. For Stokes, i think he'll start off like Anderson when he first started bowling (good at home, hopeless abroad, especially in the sub continent) and I'm sure he'll improve steadily if given the proper support. Another couple of mentions - Starc and Pattinson.... lot's of potential there.
most of ash's wicket's are at home against the likes of nz and windies... i'll wait a while to put any sort of label on him... For me it has to be Shakib and Watson. Ashwin, Jadeja, Stokes, Broad and Johnson all have potential to be good and potentially great all rounders as well.
Career summary GroupingAscending Span Mat Inns Overs Mdns Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 5 10 v Australia 2011-2013.......... 7 13 409.2 94 1148 38 7/103 12/198 30.21 2.80 64.6 4 1 v Australia(in India...................)4 8 241.2 74 583 29 7/103 12/198 20.10 2.41 49.9 4 1

It has to be Shakib beyond a doubt - his batting is somewhat erratic, despite being much improved. But, as a bowler, he is probably the finest slow left armer in the world even if his stats don't look as good as Vettori or Jaddu. The best all-rounder in the world is ABdV: can bat, can keep wicket, field and captain well.

In ODIs, I'd place Watson even slightly ahead. His batting record is slightly lesser than Kallis but his bowling avg and record are slightly better. And he's won many a game with the bat unlike Kallis who has been more of a force in Tests than in ODIs despite his super-impressive stats. Watto is almost two cricketers in one during T20s and ODIs.

Yup' date=' him, Shakib and Hafeez are best all rounders after Kallis.[/quote'] Hafeez? In ODIs perhaps. But certainly not in Tests - he doesn't have enough penetration to be a wicket-taking bowler and certainly isn't an international-class batsman. A bat avg of 33 in Tests and 1 wicket per Test match constitutes poor returns.
Hafeez? In ODIs perhaps. But certainly not in Tests - he doesn't have enough penetration to be a wicket-taking bowler and certainly isn't an international-class batsman. A bat avg of 33 in Tests and 1 wicket per Test match constitutes poor returns.
Yes, in ODIs only, but he isn't that bad a batsman, h can bat.

To me Flintoff was the best bowler in the group and haven't seen a bowler rattle batters on a slow deck like him, his batting was aggressive but no doubt about his talent, Watson is handicapped by his weak body, his bowling at one time was as good if not better then Kallis and batting he has talent but needs to develop his back foot game a bit, overall Kallis is the most complete cricketer of this generation easily, Tendulkar to me also could be in that list but did not want to work on his bowling, he had very good skills for a leg spinner.