'It's my dream to be a regular member of Team India'

Feed

Young Uttar Pradesh batsman Suresh Raina is optimistic about staging a successful comeback to the Indian team. More... Suresh Kumar Raina is one of the few exciting young batsmen in Indian cricket. He is spoken of very highly by most, including Sachin Tendulkar [Images] and Rahul Dravid [Images], simply because of his oodles of talents as a spectacular left-handed batsman, who also rolls his arm over as an off-spinner. The unassuming Uttar Pradesh player is not yet 21, but has impressed in whatever cricket he has played so far. Well, almost. His performance in his first 19 ODIs was quite satisfying, all things considered. However, he failed to hit a single fifty in his last 17 matches and had to be dropped. As if that was not enough, he sustained a knee ligament injury during a Deodhar Trophy match in February which rendered him hors de combat for nearly six months and dashed all his hopes of playing for India again in the immediate future. In all, he has scored 612 runs, inclusive of three half-centuries, in 28 ODI innings (5 times not out) at an average of 26.60. He has a strike rate of 72.68. Raina has fully recovered from the knee injury now and, as he told Haresh Pandya, when he was engaged him in a freewheeling conversation during the recent Irani Cup tie between the Rest of India and the Ranji Trophy champions Mumbai in Rajkot, he is optimistic about staging a successful comeback into Team India. How do you feel now after sustaining the knee injury that kept you out of action for a pretty long time? I feel much better. I've made complete recovery from the injury. I've been batting well, too. I'm quite normal now in terms of fitness. I'm sure I'll start scoring heavily again. You had a good chance to play a big innings against Ranji Trophy champions Mumbai in the Irani Cup match in Rajkot while representing the Rest of India. Don't you think you missed a golden opportunity by getting out cheaply? Yes. But there is no point lamenting about it now. There're plenty of matches to be played this season. I hope to do well in them and stake my claims again. To come back into the Indian team is my prime objective right now. Nothing seemed to go wrong for you in the beginning of your international career, as a string of good scores flowed from your blade. But suddenly you lost touch and with it your form also. Was it sheer bad luck or some technical problem? No, I don't think there was any technical problem. My technique is still the same. I'm perfectly all right in terms of technique and fitness. Maybe you could call it sheer bad luck. Maybe I had set high standards for myself and people began to expect too much of me. But I must admit I had failed and the selectors were right in dropping me. I wanted to come back soon but then the knee injury occurred. I'm fine now and would like to be back in the national side as soon as possible. You are rated very high. Some even call you a prodigy. Others said the next generation superstar has arrived. You are also considered to be another Sachin Tendulkar. Doesn't the press and public adulation affect you? How do you manage to handle it by keeping a level head? It all depends on how you react to it. Obviously, when you're performing well, people are bound to praise you. But they also criticise you when you don't do well and perform very badly. As for me, neither the adulation nor the criticism has affected me unnecessarily. They're part and parcel of a sportsman's life. I've taken the positive points from both the adulation as well as criticism of my cricket. Howsoever talented you're, you can't always play well. I've also spoken to senior players about my game. I'm more tough mentally now than ever before. My game, too, has improved a lot. It feels nice. I'll definitely do well for India whenever I get another chance to represent the country. But how does it feel when the truly greats of the game like Greg Chappell [Images], Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid, among others, appreciate your batting ability? Obviously, it feels very nice. You feel greatly encouraged and motivated when you're praised by the legends of the game. You try to justify your talents and live up to their expectations. When players as well as presspersons like you, who watch a lot of cricketers in action at different places and in different situations, praise a youngster like me, it's always very encouraging. But then you must always keep your feet firmly on the ground. Neither the success nor the adulation should go to your head. There is no doubt about your genius. No one would be surprised when you make a comeback in the national squad. But the fact remains that more and more talented young players are coming up. Robin Uthappa and Rohit Sharma, to name only two, immediately come to mind. Doesn't it put some sort of psychological pressure on you with regard to your bid to make a comeback? Not at all. Cricket is only a sport. And you have to be sporting enough to face a good, healthy competition. It's good that others are also doing well and vying for a place in the Indian team. Healthy competition in any field isn't only good and welcome but very encouraging actually. It keeps you on your toes, even on tenterhooks. Talking about healthy competition, how do you feel about S ubramaniam Badrinath's selection in the Indian team? He has done very well in recent times to fully deserve the honour. I'm sure he'll do even better and justify his selection. Good luck to him. How do you rate Badrinath as a batsman? He is a very fine cricketer to have in the side. He is a very good strokeplayer and a delight to watch when he gets going. As you say, you have spoken to senior players. Obviously, many of them must have given you important advice and tips. Do you follow them and try to put them in practice, too? Yes, I do. I value their advice, guidance, suggestions and whatever tips they give me. At times I try to implement them also, not only on the field but off it as well, including in my personal life. It depends on who gives you those tips and how you take them. I think everybody needs advice and guidance to be a better player and person. Who are the ones you regard as your idols? Actually there're many. Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly [Images] and Yuvraj Singh [Images], for instance. All of them have inspired me a lot. They've helped me improve my game. They've also influenced me. It feels really good that seniors, who are big stars, go out of their ways and help you in your batting, bowling, fielding and fitness. At least I've had this good experience from the beginning of my career itself. It's really inspiring, even motivating, to speak to them, to listen to them, on and off the field whenever I get chances. What do you like the most about your own batting? My essential aggressiveness as a batsman. I'm fond of playing my shots all the time and I particularly relish to play the cover drive and the straight drive. Your fielding has been praised by some of the best fielders in the game today. What is the secret of your electric fielding? Does fielding come as naturally to you as batting? Maybe you could say that. But I must say I've learnt my cricket the hard way. I've studied in Lucknow Sports College for eight years and have undergone the grind of the hostel life. Senior UP players like Mohammad Kaif and others would inspire us by their brilliant fielding. Yuvraj Singh, too, had been looking after us, monitoring our progress, when I was in the Under-19 team. So there was a lot of inspiration and motivation from superb fielders like Mohammad Kaif and Yuvraj Singh. It enabled me to improve my work in the field and develop myself as an allround fielder. Of course, our coaches at Lucknow Sports College also helped us in every aspect of our cricket. Do you ever get nervous or feel disheartened when things do not go your way? No. Even when I get stick from the former players and the media for my batting or fielding, or any other thing for that matter, I take it positively and try to focus on my game. I strongly believe that healthy, constructive criticism is actually good for your improvement. It's necessary sometimes. If everybody keeps on praising you, I don't think you can ever improve your game. Why, there won't be any improvement in your life for that matter. Somebody has to tell you that you've done something wrong. I've remained away from my family for eight long years. And it has been my personal experience that it's necessary for your own good and development that there're a few people around you who just keep saying negative things about you. I've undergone a lot of hardship since the beginning while living in a hostel. I had to get up at 4 am. The principal would scold us if we're late and didn't reach the class in time. So, I've been very disciplined and punctual in my life since I was in Class VI and stayed in the hostel. I used to have spells of homesickness at times. Of course, my parents, sisters and brother have helped me a lot in my development as a person and player. My friends, too, have been very helpful all these years. I've been very devoted to my family. I'm positively independent, too, because of all these reasons. Do you think the hostel life has helped you become mentally tough? Yes, I think so. In fact, I've learnt a lot about life and struggle during my hostel years. You won't believe but it's a fact that I used to wash my clothes when I was in the hostel. I used to cook also. I'm from a middle-class family. I don't belong to a big family. There're no servants in our home. I was very good at studies and I won quite a few scholarships as well. Besides sports, I used to participate in cultural activities also. I've played a lot of hockey, football and basketball. All that helped me overcome the mental block at a very young age. It would help me overcome homesickness as well. While in hostel, I wanted to make the most of whatever opportunities I got in studies, in sports and in cultural activities. So I really learnt a lot about life during my hostel years. Importantly, I haven't changed a bit. I'm still the same Suresh Raina. What kinds of cultural activities you participated in during your hostel life? Well, it was mostly patriotic songs on the Independence Day and the Republic Day. Our principal, Sunny Sir, used to motivate us for patriotic songs. It was really nice. He would also make us perform the paath in the morning. There was totally different atmosphere in our hostel. Can you sing? Can you dance? No, no. Singing and dancing isn't my cup of tea! Which ODI innings of your career have satisfied you the most? Well, the ones against England [Images], Sri Lanka [Images] and Pakistan immediately come to mind. I scored 81 not out against England at Faridabad in March 2006. I was very happy to play that innings. India won by 4 wickets and I was declared the Man of the Match. I enjoyed scoring 39 not out against Sri Lanka at Pune in November 2005. Mahendra Singh Dhoni [Images], who batted magnificently and made 45 not out, and I were involved in a crucial partnership. It was great batting in his inspiring company and eventually see India romp home by 4 wickets. My 35 not out against Pakistan at Multan in February 2006 was also a satisfying knock as it enabled India to win the match by 4 wickets. Both Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid appreciated my innings. Though you are very young and have miles to go, which are the moments of your brief international career that you cherish? Well, it's always a moment to cherish whenever India has won. Rahul Dravid had given me his cap when I made my India debut against Sri Lanka at Dambulla in 2005. I had effected a run-out in an ODI against the West Indies [Images]. Yuvraj Singh was so pleased with my fielding that he gave me a stump as a token of appreciation. Sachin Tendulkar has told me many important, precious things, which mean a lot to me. It's so nice that senior players like them always find their own ways to encourage and motivate youngsters like me. It's my dream to be a regular member of Team India and play alongside these greats once again.

I think Raina was given plenty of opportunities but failed to perform consistently. Raina's technique looked more tighter than Uthappa's or Karthik's but both Uthappa in ODIs and Karthik in test matches whowed it's not the flair but the resolve and positive cricket that makes one a good cricketer for all seasons. Raina still is young and can make a come back in the years to come.