Australian Open 2014 - Stan Wawrinka beats Rafa in the final

Cricketics

Starts on 13th. Qualifying draw is about to come out and the cut has been put at rank no. 285. So Yuki Bhambri should easily make it to Qualifying Draw.:two_thumbs_up: Time to climb big ladders Yuki. Here's hoping a great run for him in the qualifying draw. So many injuries, I feel it's going to be an epic grandslam this year. Should be a cracking start with lots of tough games in this open. Looking forward to one of the best slams.

You should have mentioned that this thread has been opened for only for qualifying rounds. :cantstop:
Lol. No man, it's just my passion for Indian sports keeps me supporting these players and mention about them even if they are playing qualies. This is the tournament thread and my first priority is always supporting Indians before I brag about t any other players or about RF or anyone.

Just checked odds at betfair and bet365. Surprised to see odds for djokovic are significantly shorter than nadal. I was expecting nadal would be clear favourite after last year's performance. If not at the most it would be even. But odds for djokovic is close to 2 while for Nadal 3.5. Djokovic spectular finish for the year end probably influenced these odds.

Just checked odds at betfair and bet365. Surprised to see odds for djokovic are significantly shorter than nadal. I was expecting nadal would be clear favourite after last year's performance. If not at the most it would be even. But odds for djokovic is close to 2 while for Nadal 3.5. Djokovic spectular finish for the year end probably influenced these odds.
Dojokovic is the favorite. These courts favor his games more than any other hard courts. I was watching the highlights of the Nadal Djokovic 2012 final. I then compared it with their US open matches. It is clear to me why the Australian open courts help Novak. it's because the courts there are slow and low bouncy, kind of like the world tour final courts. The slow nature makes it almost impossible to hit through Novak and the low bounce ensures that he's fully balanced while hitting his backhand and not pushed behind the baseline. Hardly any FH from Nadal went over Novaks chest height, he was hitting most of them from the waist height. The US open courts help Nadal's game more than the Aus open courts, because they take his top spin better. Contrary to popular belief I also think that Nadal would have troubled Federer more at the US open than he did in Australia because his top spin FHs would have bounced higher. Federer actually played very well for the most part in the two matches they have played in Australia and his backhand fared quite well against Nadal's FH. In fact he was a little unlucky in 2009 to not win the third set.

Federer's possible opponents: R1: Duckworth R2: Stepanek, Kavcic R3: Verdasco, Stakhovsky R4: Tsonga, Simon, Cilic QF: Murray, Kohscreiber, Isner SF: Nadal, Del Potro F: Djokovic, Ferrer, Berdych Murray's possible opponents: R1: Soeda R2: Qualifier R3: F Lopez, Llodra, Devvarman R4: Kolschreiber, Del Bonis, Isner QF: Tsonga, Federer, Simon SF: Nadal, Del Potro F: Djokovic, Ferrer, Berdych Djokovic's possible opponents: R1: Lacko R2: Montanes, L Mayer R3: Bagdhatis, Tursunov R4: Fognini, Gulbis, Querrey QF: Gasquet, Wawrinka, SF: Berdych, Ferrer, Janowicz F: Nadal, Del Potro, Murray, Federer Rafa's possible opponents: R1:Tomic R2:Kokkinakis/sijsling R3:Monfils, Harrison R4:Seppi, Nishikori QF: Del Potro, Raonic, Dimitrov SF:Federer, Tsonga,Murray Final: Djokovic, Ferrer, Berdych

Nadal (1) - Tomic Kokkinakis - Sijsling Kamke - Sock Harrison - Monfils (25) Seppi (24) - Hewitt Haase - Young Pouille - Q Matosevic - Nishikori (16) Raonic (11) - Gimeno-Traver Q - Hanescu Q - Lu Klahn - Dimitrov (22) Paire (27) - Q Kyrgios - Becker Bautista-Agut - Smyczek Q - Del Potro (5) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Murray (4) - Soeda Q - Q Q - Llodra Devvarman - F. Lopez (26) Kohlschreiber (21) - Bedene Przysiezny - Zeballos Q - Del Bonis Q - Isner (13) Tsonga (10) - Volandri Q - Reister Cilic - Granollers Brands - Simon (18) Verdasco (31) - Q Gabashvili - Stakhovsky Stepanek - Kavcic Duckworth - Federer (6) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Berdych (7) - Nedovyesov Wu - De Schepper Hajek - Q Karlovic - Dodig (32) Anderson (19) - Vesely Q - Sousa Berlocq - Roger-Vasselin Garcia-Lopez - Haas (12) Youzhny (14) - Struff F. Mayer - Q Ramos - Andujar Thompson - Janowicz (20) Chardy (29) - Huta Galung Q - Dolgopolov Johnson - Mannarino A. Gonzalez - Ferrer (3) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Wawrinka (8) - Golubev Falla - Kukushkin Mahut - Ebden Groth - Pospisil (28) Robredo (17) - Rosol Carreno Busta - Benneteau Davydenko - Kubot Q - Gasquet (9) Fognini (15) - Bogomolov Sela - Nieminen Giraldo - Querrey Monaco - Gulbis (23) Tursunov (30) - Russell Baghdatis - Istomin L. Mayer - Montanes Lacko - Djokovic (2)

Agreed, Nadal has a tough tough draw. But do we all remember Murray's draw for Wimbledon last year? All the top guys were falling out like flies and so Murray's tough draw ended up as a cakewalk. Murray is not in optimum form, Federe is a shadow of his former self. So Nadal does have a tough draw but if everyone drops out like flies, then it changes. Djokovic has it easier on paper, but in slams the last two times he's faced Wawrinka he's been pushed to the brink. Before this tournament, I wanted one match badly, Del Potro vs Nadal and we could have it, and not only that I think Delpo will comfortably beat him. But let's see guys, let's see. m I'm so excited TOO TOO EXCITED.

Agreed' date=' Nadal has a tough tough draw. But do we all remember Murray's draw for Wimbledon last year? All the top guys were falling out like flies and so Murray's tough draw ended up as a cakewalk. Murray is not in optimum form, Federe is a shadow of his former self. [/quote'] Nadal's draw is not tough because of Murray or Federer being on his half. You are expected to play someone of that caliber in the semi. His draw is tough because of the early rounds (Tomic+Monfils) and the toughest possible QF match-up (DelPo) for him. How come you are not so discreet whenever you see an easier draw for Nadal? Talk about someone having double standards! :giggle: Wawrinka has to beat Pospisil and then Gasquet to reach QF. He is not a lock. I have a feeling that he may not even reach QF and Novak will be in the final without dropping a set.

How come you are not so discreet whenever you see an easier draw for Nadal? Talk about someone having double standards! :giggle: Wawrinka has to beat Pospisil and then Gasquet to reach QF. He is not a lock. I have a feeling that he may not even reach QF and Novak will be in the final without dropping a set.
I don't like the super easy draw. I'm always one who believes in a balanced draw but rarely works out that way. I've always hated easy draws for opponents and for Djokovic and Delpo. However **** happens doesn't it. I'm pretty sure Wawrinka will get through, Gasquet is a mug and Pospisil isn't the finished article. Apart from a 2 month period last year what has he done. I was also hoping for Fed, because I think he's a sitting duck in QFs and SFs against the top 2. As said before everything can change, players dropping out like flies and some upsets and you could get completely different QFs and SFs. The rumours were the courts are quicker, but havign watched some highlights from yesterday they look to be playing the same.

What a match between Hewitt and Seppi. Absolute brilliant. Enjoyed it. Wanted Heitt to win but brilliant match. Hewitt came out from no where to get a match point and Seppi saved it and broke back and won the next game and the match.
Another one is going on between Daniel Brands and Giles Simon. Fifth set, score line 10-10. Some beast of the matches. Australian for a shock day today. First Hewitt lost and then Tomic going to lose.

I don't like the super easy draw. I'm always one who believes in a balanced draw but rarely works out that way.
That's because it's always a random draw. Maybe you should realize that and stop complaining whenever you see a draw that's not to your liking.