Rohit Sharma is sucking the momentum out of India

G_B_

Agreed with OP. My problem with Rohit is he has a pre-determined batting plan and struggles to adjust his game according to the match conditions. Typical Rohit knock would be 10 runs off 30 balls, 25 runs off 50 balls, 50 off 75 balls and then blast on but the issue is lot of things need to work in Rohit's favour - His own luck, performance of other batsmen, skills of 4th and 5th opposition bowlers, and required run rate if India is fielding first. I wouldn't blame him for Kohli and Rahane's downfall yesterday but his strike-rate has been a major disappointment overseas.

It's BS for players to blame others for their own failures. RS is working on building his innings doesn't mean those opening/playing with him need to throw their wicket away. They are all responsible for their own shots and innings.
somebody has to accelerate. when Kohli was out yesterday with a score of 5 in 3.2 overs. You want a score of 10 overs 10 runs for no wickets? @Rahane More than Rahane being out of his depth. He keeps playing some really dumb shots. Yesterday he played a stupid hook to a ball he should have respected and nudged around for 1. Literally reminds me of DK. Having all the shots in the book but lacking the temperament. The bottom line with Rahane and rohit is that they both still dont know how to pace their innings. Both Rohit and Rahane have strong domestic T20 and First Class records. Both have below par List A records. The issue for both of them is they are still unsure of how to time their innings. In test matches Rahane takes his time and blocks out and simply ducks the short bowling. Thats all he needs to do.
It's BS for players to blame others for their own failures. RS is working on building his innings doesn't mean those opening/playing with him need to throw their wicket away. They are all responsible for their own shots and innings.
I disagree on 2 counts:
  1. Rohit's poor strike rate increases pressure on other batsmen.
  2. Stroke-makers like Dhawan, Kohli etc want as much strike to keep the momentum going. Rohit is a strike hogger.

Sehwag use to provide explosive starts, he use to put pressure on the opposition even before the ball was bowled, and now you tell me, as an opposition opening bowler, do you wanna bowl at sehwag who would shatter your confidence within a span of few deliveres or a Sharma who will take 25 to 30 deliveries to get going ? Zaheer was a leader of the attack, the entire bowling line up used to look up to him when the going would get tough. Less i talk of Yuvraj the better, the guy is in an All time ODI XI of most former cricketers and experts.
How much Sehwag averaged in Aus, SA, England in ODIs?
somebody has to accelerate. when Kohli was out yesterday with a score of 5 in 3.2 overs. You want a score of 10 overs 10 runs for no wickets?
I disagree on 2 counts:
  1. Rohit's poor strike rate increases pressure on other batsmen.
  2. Stroke-makers like Dhawan, Kohli etc want as much strike to keep the momentum going. Rohit is a strike hogger.

When Kohli got out, he himself was 2 off 9 balls, RS was 1 off 9 balls. It is not as if Kohli didn't get enough deliveries to keep the scoring going if he wanted to. I agree rotating strike is critical, but here neither rotated anything, they both got equal number of deliveries.

Making 79 after getting virtually three lives isn't a great effort at all. He was giving so many chances early on inspite of batting very slowly. He is hardly your ideal opener. He does not rotate strike, he revels more in boundaries and plays too many dot balls. While he may make some runs for himself on his day, his style of batting will put every one else in trouble, like Misbah's innings often do to Pakistan. If it is the Rohit we know of, now that he scored a 50, there will be many more tens and twenties before we will see another biggy.

Let him hit or block the ball on merit - but he has to rotate the strike. He takes a very long time to get going if the pitch is not dead' date=' and surely an opener cannot be like this and wasting the power plays.[/quote'] Rotating the strike has always been his problem. Even when he used to bat at 4 or 5 in ODIs, he used to struggle to take singles and then used to play a big shot and get out. That's why his average used to be in low 30s. With more fielders inside the circle in first 10 overs, it will be even more difficult for him as an opener. Only difference is in SC, its much more easier to hit boundaries because of slow pace and low bounce. Here its not that easy to slog and hence he is struggling. If he wants a good career in ODIs, he has to work on rotating the strike. Learn from Kohli and watch how he uses his wrists to nudge the ball for singles and maintains a good strike rate on any pitch and scores the occasional boundary. But I doubt Rohit will look to Kohli for guidance.

Srt used to suck the momentum out of india too.....the other batsmen were overwhelmed to keep up to him and hence careers like debang Gandhi,somasunder were cut short. Not only the midget killed careers, the choker couldn't finish games too :(( Srt the bigger momentum sucker