Squad for WI series

beetle

Re: Squad for WI series Anil Kumbles 3 matches agst the saffies- 0/24 in 10 ovs, 2/42 and the last match wasnt great 7 ovs for 33 runs...but..more than enough IMHO. Ramesh Powar- hes ok, better fielder and can bat...but I dont see what Kumbles done wrong More importantly- its great that the selectors are making Sehwag pay for some poor atitutde and form. but ONE day after he scores a GOOD ranji century???? Are domestic runs just not counted or something otherwise its a good squad- good to see Joginder there and Robin and GG. Rainas been good for UP. Shame that irfan isnt there but no complainst..hes been rubbish. RPS is a decent ODI bowler. my 11 SRT Ganguly Gambhir Dravid Raina MSD Joginder Powar Aggy Zak Bhajj OR Gambhir MSD Dravid SRT Ganguly Kartik Joginder Powar Aggy Zak Bhajj

Re: Squad for WI series It's a bit stupid to have picked Kumble in the first place for Saffie tour if they didn't want him in the long run :shrug: I don't reckon Kumble did any bad at all in South Africa. In fact Harbhajan was pretty hopeless in South Africa. Raina is back and why is he back I have no clue :eew: I would rather have Sehwag in his place. Lest Sehwag can be a bowling all rounder. Raina has looked clueless since a while. Rest have deserved a place in the team including Robin and Gambhir.

Re: Squad for WI series

Sehwag out, Ganguly picked for ODIs Anand Vasu in Rajkot January 12, 2007 Virender Sehwag and Irfan Pathan have been sent home to 'sort out' their game ? Getty Images Virender Sehwag was left out of the Indian squad of 15 for the first two matches of the four-match home ODI series against West Indies, sent home to Delhi to "sort out his batting." Irfan Pathan was also left out of the squad while Joginder Sharma, the Haryana allrounder, earned a spot. There was no place for Mohammad Kaif or Dinesh Mongia, in a selection that went largely along expected lines. Significantly, in Sehwag's absence Sachin Tendulkar was named the vice-captain. Sourav Ganguly, as expected, returned to the one-day set up. Niranjan Shah, the secretary of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, announced the 15-man squad, and also read out the list of 30 probables for the forthcoming World Cup in West Indies, and then opened floor to Dilip Vengsarkar, the chairman of selectors. "Virender Sehwag has been out of form for quite some time," said Vengsarkar. "He has to go back to the nets and sort out his cricket, his batting basically. He is a fine player and am sure he will come back. I'd like to say that he will have to go to the nets and sort out his batting." When asked about Pathan's exclusion Vengsarkar said, "He has to bowl well, has to get wickets also. He has been out of form and I am sure he will find his way again and has a chance to come back." Vengsarkar also clarified that Anil Kumble was not dropped, but that he was "being given a break and will be there for the third and fourth ODI." Equally, he did not mince words when asked about the absence of Mongia and Kaif - "they have been dropped," he said. The team for the first two ODIs contains four openers - Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Gautam Gambhir and Robin Uthappa - and Vengsarkar said it was for the captain and the coach to decide who would open the innings when the time came. He also clarified that Dinesh Karthik was picked as much as a batsman as a reserve wicketkeeper. Vengsarkar also said that it was unlikely that Yuvraj Singh would regain match fitness in time to play against the West Indies and that he would come into contention for the home series against Sri Lanka if fit. Dinesh Karthik: in the team as much as a batsman as a reserve wicketkeeper ? Getty Images VVS Laxman was once again left out of a one-day squad, something that will irk him, but Vengsarkar only reiterated his early stance when asked about the issue. "His fielding is a problem. As is running between wickets. He is a fine batsman. No question about his ability as a batsman. He is not a good mover in the field and that went against him." Despite having to field a volley of questions from a packed hall of media-persons, Vengsarkar was in his element, explaining things candidly and lucidly. When one reporter asked him why there were no legspinners in the list of 30 World Cup probables (other than Kumble) he replied by asking, "Can you name one?" Similarly, when another reporter put it to Vengsarkar that Ashish Nehra played well in the last World Cup, and wondered why he was not included in the squad, pat came the reply. "The last World Cup was four years ago. This is 2007. Even I played in the World Cup in 1987." The drama began at 11am when the selectors reached the ground, and were whisked away to a room on the second floor, just above the dressing-rooms. There they spent just under two hours deliberating, along with Greg Chappell and Rahul Dravid. At around 11.20am Dravid, who was fielding at first slip, was called in by Shah. At 1.19pm the meeting ended, and Vengsarkar addressed a packed press conference.

More importantly- its great that the selectors are making Sehwag pay for some poor atitutde and form. but ONE day after he scores a GOOD ranji century???? Are domestic runs just not counted or something
Add to that Sehwag has picked up 4 wickets in the game against Haryana. :lol:

Re: Squad for WI series Schwag came home and hit a century but as we have all seen he failed miserably at SA and the whole team suffered because often a good start triggers the team to a good total. He is a good player without any doubt but he has been losing his wicket when India really needed him and I think by dropping him selectors are sending clear message that no one is indispensible in the team! Kaif and Pathan are two other candidates who got ample chance but failed to perform and by dropping them it is clear that you have to perform to play for India. India may not have the best team currently but they have selected the players who are in form and not kept anyone for their status. Tendulkar being names VC is a good move to keep the slot open for youngsters like Yuvaraj and Schwag to dream on grabbing this post ASAP.

Re: Squad for WI series what a weird squad, even though nothing wrong with dropping sehwag or pathan i question selection of Uttapa. He might be having a great run in domestic cricket but answer this honestly are you willing to select uttapa in the 15 for world cup over gambhir,sehwag,VVS ? I would have selected VVS over robin, cause no way robin is going to world cup unless he can score 4, 100s in the next 8 games.

Re: Squad for WI series Need to give all players a decent run before deciding what they are capable of at the international level. That would mean in my opinion atleast 2 full series, consecutively. If you fail in 2 series consecutively early in your career, you are dump worthy.

what a weird squad' date=' even though nothing wrong with dropping sehwag or pathan i question selection of Uttapa. He might be having a great run in domestic cricket but answer this honestly are you willing to select uttapa in the 15 for world cup over gambhir,sehwag,VVS ? I would have selected VVS over robin, cause no way robin is going to world cup unless he can score 4, 100s in the next 8 games.[/quote'] VVS Laxman is a top class batsmen but it doesnt mean that he is a good ODI player. ODIs nowadays have become lot more faster and needs lot of energy and physical strength. Laxman maybe able to provide stability to Indian batting order but he cannot survive in the field when you need to dive at full length to stop a ball or take a catch. The ball he misses or the catch he cannot reach can turn a one day game. We need to find replacement for Laxman in the batting line to take this team forward and that is exactly what the selectors have done. I dont think Laxman/Kumble will be selected for WorldCup just becaue of their inability to perform at the highest level while fielding.

I dont think Laxman/Kumble will be selected for WorldCup just becaue of their inability to perform at the highest level while fielding.
WC super eight match to qualify for semi's India facing one of aus/sa/pak. India needs 250 to win in 50 overs. who would you prefer Uttapa opening the batting or VVS coming at 4 ? Same situation India defending 250 for a place in semi;s whom would you want to bowl 10 overs kumble or Powar/Joginder sharma/Pathan/RP singh ?? I am not denying the fact that kumble and VVS arent best suited for ODIs but my point is WC is way to important to be risking newer players.

some youngster should've been selected as VC. Anyway I don't think SRT will like the burden of captaincy at the moment.
This is probably a good time for SRT to take over captaincy. His batting has deteriorated so much that I dont think the 'pressure' of captaincy can make it any worse. Moreover since the selectors have decided to stick with him as long as he wishes to play, we dont have to worry about the captain being dropped for poor performance. This way it frees up Dravid (who is India's batting mainstay without question) time and mind, and lets him focus on his batting. :wtg:

Re: Squad for WI series Its a very short term thing. If Yuvraj was fit it would have been him and rightly so. SRT is probabaly far more tactically aware...but he isnt going to be in the ODI team for long (we hope) jf1 has a good pt though...hardly a great time to be blooding youngsters is it? A bit more planning would have seen these guys be part of the set up for a while instead of being shunted in and out. It aint like Sehwag, Kaif and Rainas were setting the world alight...

I dont think Laxman/Kumble will be selected for WorldCup just becaue of their inability to perform at the highest level while fielding.
Kumble is unquestionably India's #1 bowler. His position in the team should never be in question (like SRT). I would prefer him to any super athletic player but a less talented/experienced bowler. I always wonder what would have happened if he had played in 2003 WC final - would Punter and Martin still be able to score the way they did? To put things in perspective, Indian batting was firing on all cylinders in those days and anything around 300 was realistically chase-able! So even if he had dented the aussie charge a bit - a couple of wickets - a few tidy overs - what might have been - oh well!!