Vijay Hazare Trophy 2014

rkt.india

IPL Is My Battefield by Aninda Das IPL Is My Battefield If it was not cricket, Pawan Suyal would have handled a gun, and bullets on the borders of India. But cricket happened and he looked to the 22 yards and not a career with the Indian Army. He was thrilled when he was picked up by Mumbai Indians at this year's IPL auction for Rs. 10 lakh. The reason - he will get an opportunity to learn from his idol Zaheer Khan. SEE ALSO: I Remember That Last Over "It is a privilege to be playing with such a big bowler. I am excited and nervous at the same time," Suyal told tadpoles in an iThe 24-year old has been a part of the MI squad since IPL-3 but was never in the starting XI. Much like his idol, Suyal too is a left arm fast bowler with a high-arm action. With a modest first-class record of 55 wickets in 15 games for Delhi, it is fair to say that he is on the right track to becoming his team’s go-to bowler in the future after the likes of Ashish Nehra and Rajit Bhatia retire. Suyal comes from Pauri, a hill station in Uttaranchal famous for skiing and other adventure sports. He started his cricket in the farmlands owned by his family. "There were no proper playing grounds in my village so I had to play in farmlands. I had no coaches and trainers. All I cared about was bowling and taking wickets for any team I played," said Suyal. In 2008, the southpaw moved to Delhi with a hope of securing a job in the army. SEE ALSO: From Nalanda to 22 Yards to Freedom "I had no idea that I would end up playing cricket at such a big level. I was physically fit so I wanted to enrol in the army or police. Cricket was a mere time pass in parks," said Suyal who was then living with his sister and brother-in-law. His cricketing journey in Delhi started in the DDCA league when he played for Telifunkan Club. One season he picked up 26 wickets for his team and earned a Delhi U-22 call. There he proved his worth and took 11 wickets in 2 matches. In his debut Ranji match against Karnataka, 2009, Suyal took 6 wickets in the match. This season though, the 23-year old featured in just two games. Currently he is Delhi’s only left-arm fast bowler after Pradeep Sangwan was banned for 18 months for consuming a banned alcoholic steroid. 1 Unlike most domestic bowlers, Suyal averages a bowling speed of 137 and has hit the 145 mark several times in his first-class career. In swinging deliveries is his strength as he likes bowling with the new ball. Suyal can also reverse the ball in death overs. SEE ALSO: A Teacher’s Cricketer He also attributes his skills and technique to Ashish Nehra who helped him a lot with his bowling. "Ashish would come to me after every over and tell me where I am going wrong. He has always been a good senior and guide," said Suyal. Now Suyal has just one wish – Opening the bowling for MI with Zaheer Khan. Hopefully the day is not too far away.