Tennis: ATP/WTA Tour 2014

Raghav_12

Tennis: ATP/WTA Tour 2014  

1. 1.

• Rafael Nadal
    • Novak Djokovic
    • Andy Murray
    • None of the above

Del Potro will undergo a wrist surgery and will be out for 8-12 months. I think he has taken the right decision and I was expecting this. It's better than playing half fit all the time. But this is a very long break. So it can be really tricky. Hopefully he will be able to regain his form once he comes back.

Zep1706, You will not be surprised that I'm going to disagree with you on this. I think that's Del Potro's career. Delpo is not a Fed or Haas that will play well into his 30s. If Del Po is out for that 12 month time, then that's his career. It took him over a year to get back from his last injury and his fitness has always been appalling. It's a really sad bit of news, really really sad because Del Potro had the most devastating FH on tour and probably the only player outside of the so called big 4 capable and confident enough to beat them.

Zep1706, You will not be surprised that I'm going to disagree with you on this. I think that's Del Potro's career. Delpo is not a Fed or Haas that will play well into his 30s. If Del Po is out for that 12 month time, then that's his career. It took him over a year to get back from his last injury and his fitness has always been appalling. It's a really sad bit of news, really really sad because Del Potro had the most devastating FH on tour and probably the only player outside of the so called big 4 capable and confident enough to beat them.
What was his alternative? To play with an injured wrist for the rest of his career and in the process aggravating it further and at the same time not winning any tournament because he can't hit a proper backhand? At least this gives him a chance now.

Del Potro will undergo a wrist surgery and will be out for 8-12 months. I think he has taken the right decision and I was expecting this. It's better than playing half fit all the time. But this is a very long break. So it can be really tricky. Hopefully he will be able to regain his form once he comes back.
****!!!!! Its really sad to see this happen to DelPo. If I am not mistaken, its his second major wrist-related break from tennis. One of my fav. players, at one point I had him to be as good as Djokovic/if not better. Definitely could've won 2-3 by now if he wasn't injured for so long periods.

Don't write him off yet, the lad's only 24. Yes, its nearing the end and I agree, we probably wont see a 33 year old Delpo on the circuit but assuming he is out till he's 25 and takes another year to find top gear, he can still win 2-3 more if he has no further upsets with his health. PS: Delpo didn't always have apalling fitness. he was fit as a fiddle when he won that slam vs Federer. Ran like a dog in that one.

Murray through comfortably, Djokovic as well. Dolgopolov stun Wawrinka. What makes Dolgopolov's win amazing is that he says he's been playing 7 week non stop and he is running on fumes. Tomorrow we have Novak vs Murray, but of the big 4 match ups, this is by far and away the most boring. You look at the epics and there aren't many between these two. Nadal could win, but it's still too early to say, we don't know what he'll be like when he does face either one of the top guys. Nishikori vs Ferrer, far and away the best match of the tournament, riveting tennis throughout. Nishikori went to sleep in set 2 to save himself for a final push. Very wise.

Good win from Fed there against Gasquet. Very smooth and easy. Looking good' date=' I must say.[/quote'] Yeah, Federer has been really good this year. Better than last 2-3 years. Good thing about tournament is that Nadal has also seems to have put his indifferent form right from the start of the year behind and really pummeling his opponent. Deafeted Fognini 6-2,6-2. and Fognini is no push over.

Yeah, Federer has been really good this year. Better than last 2-3 years. Good thing about tournament is that Nadal has also seems to have put his indifferent form right from the start of the year behind and really pummeling his opponent. Deafeted Fognini 6-2,6-2. and Fognini is no push over.
Actually Fognini is a push over, he's a mental midget, I'm pretty sure Novak beat him in straights at the AO too without breaking sweat. Murray vs Djokovic today. Cracking match on paper, but in reality of all the big 4 matchups, this is the most boring one. I even prefer the beatings Nadal hands to Fed more than this. Very tough to call. Nishikori vs Fed. Well Nishikori looked like he was out of his legs at the end of the Ferrer match, so anything other than a Fed win in comofrtable straights would be a surprise.

Federer lost to nishikori in three sets.
Wow. Did not see that one coming, not even remotely. It was too late for me to watch, but I'm guessing Nishikori had to play unbelievably well to win, given Fed's form. Kei was running on fumes as well.

Wow. Did not see that one coming, not even remotely. It was too late for me to watch, but I'm guessing Nishikori had to play unbelievably well to win, given Fed's form. Kei was running on fumes as well.
It looked like Federer would win it comfortably in the second set. I went to bed and then just checked the score, suddenly it was 6-5. I watched the rest of it on my phone. Federer didn't play well in the third set. Nishikori kept up the pressure and eventually was able to win it. He had beaten Federer in the past so that helped I guess.

Nishikori reminds me of young Novak. Similar style of play.
From start of this year, I am seeing that next generation is eventually standing up. Players like NIshikori, Raonic, Dimitrov and others increasingly making deeper and deeper runs in tournaments. While it would be sometime until top guns Nadal, Djoko and Murray could be dislodged from their pedestals, but support act of consistent group consisting of Ferrer, Berdych, Tsonga ets have started falling.