Line and Length in fashion..

why is it that there is a lot of hype around line and length bowlers...Macgraa has been bowling this since a decade....but its only since last 3-4 years that we hear a lot about line and length bowlers.. now tear away fast bowlers..145+ are not in fashion.. even lee has adopted this line and length thing.. is it because the pitches around the world are now flatter...with no assistance to fast bowlers ..except OZ land... in test cricket..its a good contest between short pitch stuffs and pulls and hooks...

Re: Line and Length in fashion.. It is because there are too many erratic fast bowlers. Lee and Actor are examples of that. When you have someone hurling at 150 kph and still getting wacked all over the park, the question of line and length and control comes into picture.

Re: Line and Length in fashion.. There is just too much cricket and people simply can't bowl at 150+ everyday with out being injured every otherday. It's a shame because for me a fast bowler charging in and bowling those deadly yorkers at 150+ KPH is the most beautiful sight in cricket. I remember going to a PAK match in 1994/95 and saw Waqar Younis hurling in with that rhythmical run up of his...ah what a sight that was. I swear this 2 dimensional TV coverage can never capture how graceful the art of genuine quick bowling really is!

Re: Line and Length in fashion.. We still have tear aways but a lot of them are nipped in the bud due to injuries. Shoaib, Bond, Malinga, Edwards, Lawson, Taylor, Lee are all tear aways. Just that many of them don't play often enough due to injuries. It is not like in the olden days we had too many tear aways. I can't quite think of too many tear aways in the 90s. Waqar, Srinath, Donald probably could be termed tear aways. Akram could produce absolute beauties but he relied more on swing than pace to trouble the batters. Ambrose, Walshy were back of length bowlers and were not the tear aways either.

Re: Line and Length in fashion.. Ravi ... Ambrose could be seriously quick when he wanted to ... he rarely needed to given the trampoline bounce he used to get. For those interested in watching quicks ... I reckon Malinga is possibly the best bowler to watch right now .... Bond too but then again Bond might be out injured by the time you read this.

Re: Line and Length in fashion..

During the 1990/91 series D Haynes went on to say that Waqar is bowling as fast as a human being can possibly bowl. Ravi, I don't understand how you can compare Srinath to Donald and Waqar!
Don't know how much you have followed Srinath MP but he used to consistently bowl at speed that Bond bowls right now. If you can term Bond as a tear away then Srinath is in similar bracket. I'm not saying this because Srinath's my friend but I have enough evidence to back my comments. BTW I have not compared them MP, I have included Srinath in the tear away fast bowlers of 90s. I'm not comparing their speed or their wicket taking abilities. Clearly Srinath was one of the faster bowlers in 90s.

Ravi.... Amby till 1995 or so was arguably the quickest bowler of the 90s.... Steve waugh has said in one of his interviews.... his test match spells were plain lethal....
He was lethal not because he bowled at 150 or more Gator, he was lethal because he extracted plenty of bounce and was sharp enough to cause fair bit of concern for the batter. I don't reckon Amby bowled at 140+ or 150+ consistently.

a fast bowler charging in and bowling those deadly yorkers at 150+ KPH is the most beautiful sight in cricket.
100% with you. I hate akhtar but when he runs in to bowl at a batsman on a bowler friendly pitch , it creates an excitement which better bowlers like pollock or vaas cant. Just to look at the speed or batsmans expression after he has been beaten for pace are moments of cricket you enjoy. (ofcourse if its an Indian batsman i expect a scoring shot every ball)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ioWz_hsHs34 This is the kind of delieveries i am talking about..Jf1 you will really enjoy it.
yup this is the kind i am talking about. would have enjoyed it more had it been bowled to ricky ponting or better barry richards. But one of the best balls i have seen is one bowled by waqar to some english batsman slower ball, dips n swings late turns into a yorker, batsman plays 2 shots yet gets bowled.