Who can stop Australia from winning 4th world cup ?

jf1gp_1

The question isnt who is favorite to win the world cup, question is can anyone stop them from winning and its likely they will do so without losing a game again. If Australia reach final they will win cant see anyone stopping them in final. Can other teams stop them from reaching final 4 alright lets not even go there .. so for me the only place they can be stopped is semi's. Now the question, is there a team that can stop them? England, New Zealand, India, Sri Lanka simply dont have it in them to win against aussies. lets not get into sachin or murli or jaya or bond or fleming is great debate. They just dont have it in them and thats it. South africa are on a sort of high but is beating India and maybe even Pak at home enough to consider them a worthy opposition to Aus ? If every player has a good night sleep and none are fighting among themselves and no more drugs and no wild allegations then Pak has a team which can challenge aussies on a slow WI pitch. Will there be prem in camp is something no-one can answer till a day before the game. Finally the home team, the only team which has had a good run against aussies of late, playing at home is another advantage n if cris gayle goes crazy there is no stopping them. So for me if its Aus vs Pak or Aus vs WI semi final, then we MIGHT see an upset but if not, then its a 3rd straight WC for aussies. Closing thought, wasn?t it India who stopped WI from winning there 3rd straight world cup, will we see them stop aussies this time ? Cant stop supporting my team.

Re: Who can stop Australia from winning 4th world cup ? Strange things happen in cricket mate and I won't put it past West Indies, Pakistan, India, New Zealand, South Africa to beat Australia. It is not like Australia has not been beaten in the ODIs in the last year or two. West Indies have beaten them consistently. Even England beat them few times in 2004-05. NZ have beaten Australia at home too. India had fair chances of beating Australia but ended up making a mess of the chances. South Africa have beaten Australia 3-2 at home and have beaten Australia in Australia in the triseries a year or two ago involving also Sri Lanka. It may not be possible to beat the Aussies consistently but on a one off day in say a semi finals or finals it is possible. The pitches in West Indies may not be to the liking of the Aussie batters. They still show signs of struggle against spin and slow tracks. The batter particularly like the ball to come on to the bat and when it does not they seem to get out playing far too many shots.

Re: Who can stop Australia from winning 4th world cup ? WI has beaten them twice recently. NZ always runs them close in key encounters. As for the rest of the teams, fuggedaboutit. India, Pak, SA are all expert chokers in the big stage. With Eng the contest does not even begin. SL is a wildcard, but cant match the explosive power of the Aussies. If any of the teams are likely to beat them, its the WI or NZ.

Re: Who can stop Australia from winning 4th world cup ? I would probably put my money on the Saffies. They have got the bowling attack to stop the Aussies and they bat deep. Our team has a gigantic mental block against the Aussies and I just do not see us beating them. Saffies are the only team to have beaten the Aussies in an ODI series in the last 5-6 years.

Re: Who can stop Australia from winning 4th world cup ?

If every player has a good night sleep and none are fighting among themselves and no more drugs and no wild allegations then Pak has a team which can challenge aussies on a slow WI pitch. Will there be prem in camp is something no-one can answer till a day before the game.
You are asking for a bit too much there. :wink: Having said that i think under Inzi there has been a lot less controversies and the team has shown a bit of character so yea we are probably the 2nd favorites to win the title.

Re: Who can stop Australia from winning 4th world cup ? well to beat aus this time, a team would need a strong batting line, not just by name, but for real which can score runz and put some huge numbers ont he board. this time aus bowling line isnt that experienced.. they have some good bowlers, clarke and all, and not to forget brett and mcgraw, but still some new ppz coming in definately makes some diff. atleast oppositions would be able to score more against them then before what they were not able to score in 03 wc. if u are able to put a big heavy total against then, then there are chances of ur team winning,...

Now the question, is there a team that can stop them?
The easy answer to that is Of course there is a team that can stop them. In fact I would say there are many teams that can stop them and not merely one. Here is Australia's bowling attack in the very last game they played: Bracken Hilfenhaus Mitchell Johnson Stuart Clarke Symonds Cameron White. I say what kind of a crap bowling attack is that? Certainly not the attack befitting a tournament favorite. Sure the potential is there but which International team worth its salt would be scared by White and Symonds dolling out spins in middle overs? And which International team would lose sleep facing Nathan Bracken and Hilfenhaus as opening attack? Even if you bring in Lee that doesnt make this a world beating bowling attack. Bowling is Australia's weak point. If a team has the mentality to go after them surely they can be beaten. The question is do the other team have that faith? xxxx

Re: Who can stop Australia from winning 4th world cup ? Lurker you forgot McGrath and Lee will be playing every game in the WC unless of course they suffer an injury. Also don't underestimate the new look bowling line up. Each bowler is capable and more often than not they have shown the newer players outpeform the old ones. I suggest don't go by the names on the paper it just doesn't work like that in the middle. Look at India for example, the batting lineup on paper is probably the best in the world but when did they bat with confidence? Aussies bowling and batting is as strong or even stronger than what they had in the Natwest series they drew against England couple of years ago.

Re: Who can stop Australia from winning 4th world cup ? only team that can beat the aussies. aussies themselves. They ust have to slip up and the others play up to their best. nopes that is not a weak bowling attack. Clark, mrgrath , lee and braken. Thats quality 4 bowlers for you.

Re: Who can stop Australia from winning 4th world cup ? yea, there are no guarantees in a world cup. this aussie team can be beaten by SA or WI or IND (if we get our act together and get back to the winning streak form) or even PAK. their batting is pretty solid and can easily chase modest scores. between gilly/ponting/clarke/hussey/symonds/hayden, a 250 target is almost next to undefendable. but given that the WI pitches did help spinners the last time we toured, there is hope.

Re: Who can stop Australia from winning 4th world cup ? Australia will be in semis, there is no way 4 teams can beat them in super 8. So as i see it the only place they can be stopped is semi's n final. With as many as 6 players from last WC and 3-4 from 99 WC , they have players who have been in finals and crushed opposition and out of the 5 new players 2 are hussey n clarke. Whoever reached final will be under so much pressure that i just cant see aussies losing to any team in finals. So for me semi's is the only place where they can be stopped i just hope they play WI in semi's home crowd might just do it for them.

Re: Who can stop Australia from winning 4th world cup ? Even if the aussies reach the finals (which they prolly will), they can be beaten if the other team plays it's best. There is good talent in several teams, just that the aussies play the most responsible cricket. In world cup, all teams raise their level of play as the stakes are higher.

they can be beaten if the other team plays it's best. There is good talent in several teams' date=' [/quote'] As i said before there are a couple of teams which can beat australia (in my opinion India is not one of then given the current form, i hope they can turn it around in the next 2 months) but my point is whoever is the opposition if its someone like WI who will be at home or SA there first WC final there will be so much pressure to perform that i cant see how they will be able to deliver there best.