The BJP thread

kabbirann

if you analyse the assembly elections in punjab. Akalis and BJP actually lost a lot of % share of the votes. Yet the akalias managed to win cause they had the right % in the right time Reminds me of the mns and sena in the mumbai region. The problem for Amrinder is that if he loses this, he is buried as the face of congress in punjab. There are a lot of local congress leaders who want him to lose. AAP has the potential to grt 10% across the state and it will be enough for the SAD=BJP to maintain their count from last time and flip one seat.
His career was finished the day BJP-SAD won their 2nd consecutive term. Now he's been brought in simply because of his own stature and not because Cong sees him as their CM candidate for the next elections. He has already said that he won't contest the next Assembly Elections and was very unwilling to contest this one as well.

Pamphlets for Advani as Prime Minister distributed in Chhattisgarh

"Advani ne diya Chhattisgarh raj, ab unhe dein pradhan mantra ka taaj" (Advani declared Chhattisgarh a state, now crown him the Prime Minister), says a leaflet purportedly distributed on behalf of the BJP candidate and sitting MP, Saroj Pandey. Besides the party logo and an appeal for a vote for BJP, the pamphlet carries photographs of Advani, chief minister, Dr Raman Singh, and Pandey.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/lok-sabha-elections-2014/news/Pamphlets-for-Advani-as-Prime-Minister-distributed-in-Chhattisgarh/articleshow/34011479.cms S=G is campaigning in Chhattisgarh. Just kidding! :icflove:

His career was finished the day BJP-SAD won their 2nd consecutive term. Now he's been brought in simply because of his own stature and not because Cong sees him as their CM candidate for the next elections. He has already said that he won't contest the next Assembly Elections and was very unwilling to contest this one as well.
talk is cheap. If he wins he will certainly be the Congress Cm candidate from punjab next time around despite his age

http://orbat.com/
Letter from reader KV on yesterday’s post about Narinder Modi, the next Indian PM I agree that Indian so-called liberal intellectuals wearing denigration of their own culture as badge of pride. I had many personal experience especially a jarring one where a Christian friend asked whether I joined a fanatical Hindu militant organization VHP just by spotting a copy of Bhagavat Gita on my desk. There seems to be some kind of unsaid understanding where Hindus are supposed to be closeted about being Hindus in India. This may be because exposure to standard Indian education system originating from Macaulay. · Editor’s response I think most Indians are proud to be considered secular. But now many Indians are saying that secularism does not mean refusal to take pride in one’s own religion, in this case Hinduism. Secularism means accepting the other fellow too has a right to be proud of his religion. Let us meet peacefully and discuss our religions; let us leave firm in our own belief but with the total conviction that each has the right to practice his belief without interference. · When westerners talk of “Hindu nationalism”, they are confused in part because we Indians have not been too clear. Hindu nationalism is mainly nationalism, plain and simple. Westerners are not used to nationalistic Indians, because their experience of us – correctly – that we can be kicked around by everyone and his dog. No one is calling Russians or Americans “Christian nationalists”, because we all understand nationalism extends beyond religion. It is the same for us Indians. It is true that Modi’s party, the BJP, has long appropriated religious symbols to advance its nationalistic agenda. But all the BJP may be saying is that nationalism does not presuppose atheism. When I write this, I am aiming as much at American intellectuals who denigrate Christianity. Why cannot one be a patriotic AND religious American? It is the same with the BJP. · Ask for a moment why the BJP has, from the start, embraced religious symbols. For nine hundred years Indians – which meant Hindus – were crushed by foreign oppressors. First by Muslims, then by Christians. Bad as the Christian oppression was – and contrary to the Anglo-centered view of Indian history the Christian oppression was neither benign or uplifting – it pales in comparison to the Muslim oppression which ravaged India, its culture, its religion, its history. The Mongols devastated Eastern Europe but they left. Central Asian and Turkish Muslims destroyed India and stayed behind to feast off India’s corpse. · Am I saying Islam is wicked? Of course not. No religion is wicked, it is the way it is practiced. Jesus taught the way of peace and brotherly love, his followers for the better part of two millennia used his name to use violence against anyone who stood in their path. Obviously Christianity was not wicked, its practioners were. It is the same with Islam. Indeed, the Sufi version of Islam is possibly the most enlightened and humane religion in the world. · When Independence came, Indian Muslims created an us-versus-them situation – I acknowledge many Indians leaders made mistakes here, but that did not justify the bloody Partition based on religion that was forced by Muslims. Indians, like the Hebrews, have very long memories. The atrocities committed by Muslims against Indians – including Muslims – are permanently etched in the collective consciousness of Indians. Partition only reinforced those bad memories. And worse, since 1947 Muslims now living in what is called Pakistan, have spent their time trying to hurt India. But even this is not all. The rise of Islamic fundamentalism has hit India badly. And now Islamic fundamentalism has taken root in Bangladesh. For nearly seventy years foreign Muslims have been in a state of war with India. · All that the so-called Hindu nationalists – I prefer the term nationalists with some on the Hinduvata fringe – are saying is: “Leave us alone. You have pushed us too far, too many times. We will not remain passive any more”. This doesn’t make Modi and his party Muslim haters. The BJP has ruled India before. What anti-Muslim actions did it take? None. And it turned out not to be particularly nationalistic either because honestly, us Indians tend to be passive. Nationalism requires asserting ourselves. We Indians would rather just see the day through peacefully, sleep in the assurance we will be alive tomorrow, live and let live. Peace toward all, ill-will toward none. That is real humanism. · Please note I have said “Indians” and not “Hindus”. I believe I articulate what every Indian feels, regardless of his religion. BTW, Editor has a Bible, not the Bhagvad Gita. He finds the Gita far too complex and sophisticated for his comprehension. He has tried and failed many times to understand it. Us Punjabi Americans tend to be on the simple side, intellectually. As far as Editor is concerned, there is nothing religious about the Gita. It is a guide to ethical living, and if one suffers for living ethically and doing one’s duty, so be it, because duty must be done without consideration of reward or praise. The Gita is very true Christian that way. Editor has a Bible from when he was in school: his education till college was in Christian schools. After KV’s letter, Editor is wondering: does his possession of a Bible make him a fundamentalist Christian?

Why do people argue with bjp supporters. Long time ago when as I came across pakistanis,I realized that one does not discuss politics or religion with them.Doing so is then is watching sane sensible humans transform into gibberish spouting weirdos.The paranoia,the delusion,the conspiracy theories,the belief that the world is out to get you. Seriously though ,is that why my Punjab was partitioned,so that I could call a lot of hindutva loving , muslim hating people my fellow countrymen.

Why Sushma Swaraj is in a foul temper http://scroll.in/article/662974/Why-Sushma-Swaraj-is-in-a-foul-temper

“She is in a foul temper,” said Poornima Joshi, political editor of Hindu Business Line and a long-time BJP watcher. “She has been marginalised. Everybody is marginalised in Modi’s scheme of things. If Modi forms the government, I don’t see her sitting on Raisina Hill.” ... “She used to be one of the major people attacking the Congress, this time you wouldn’t have heard anything,” said Kay Benedict, a senior journalist. “Her objective is to win her own election and keep away from controversy, keep away from Delhi and the limelight. She doesn’t trust the national media and knows anything she says might be twisted.” ... “There is a trust deficit between Sushma and Modi, so it would be surprising if he gives her something important,” Benedict said. “She will not take a small portfolio under Modi, and with his emergence she also has a problem with the RSS [Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh]. To get to Raisina Hill, you would at least need the RSS to support you.” ... “If they don’t get that many votes, if Modi isn’t going to be the PM, then she can hope to play an important role… maybe even Deputy PM if they have to cobble something together,” Benedict added. “That’s why she’s quiet now. All she will do is wait and watch, until May 16.”

Secular Rape??? Happened 2 days back & yet not much in the MSM

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1140429/jsp/frontpage/story_18289405.jsp#.U181NKKVMtF A 32-year-old BJP worker, associated with the party’s minority cell, was gang-raped before daybreak today at her Chanho home, 40km from Ranchi, allegedly by over 20 men of her own community apparently targeting her for her political affiliation. According to the FIR with Chanho police station, the woman, her husband and teenaged daughter were woken from sleep when a windowpane at their home in the Masmano area was smashed around 1.30am today. Then, some men took her husband, who had been sleeping near the window, hostage at gunpoint and ordered the petrified lady to open the door. As the woman did so, some 20-22 men took turns in raping her for the next one-and-half hours. Her ordeal came to an end when a neighbour, noticing some commotion, rushed to the nearby mosque, grabbed the loudspeaker and announced, referring to her husband’s name: “…Unke yahan loot ho rahi hai, bahar niklein, bahar niklein (there’s loot underway at his house, come out, come out)”. Before the neighbours could arrive, the rapists fled, taking cash and jewellery worth Rs 2.5 lakh with them. “The rapists left around 3am, right after the public announcement,” spokesperson of state BJP minority cell Kamal Khan said. Superintendent of police (rural) S.K. Jha said an FIR based on the lady’s statement had been registered against seven persons. One was arrested, but later let off on personal bond. The woman was sent to sadar hospital in Ranchi for medical examination and brought back home. “In the FIR, as many as seven men have been named while others are unidentified,” Jha said. But here, the police have hit on a stumbling block. When the first and only person to have been arrested so far in the case, came to the station, he claimed to be 62 years old and “too old” for “this sort of a crime”. The FIR also names two of his sons, to which the man claimed he could not have committed the crime with his own children. Among the others named in the FIR is a repeat offender. “A rape case had been registered against him 12 days ago based on the statement of a minor girl of the same community,” said a Chanho police officer. State BJP leaders have demanded a high-level inquiry. “If police fail to arrest all the accused within 48 hours, the BJP will launch a statewide agitation in protest against the incident,” former chief minister and senior BJP leader Arjun Munda said. State president of BJP minority cell Mohammed Kazim claimed the woman was brutalised only because she worked for the BJP. “We demand a high-level inquiry in this matter,” he said. However, SP Jha said they were proceeding with caution owing to the sensitive nature of the case. “As an allegation of rape has been levelled against father and sons simultaneously, we are yet to reach any conclusion,” he said. He added that everyone named in the FIR turned up voluntarily after the 62-year-old man’s arrest, pleading innocence and saying the lady had framed them due to “political vendetta and land dispute”. According to Jha, all the accused named in the FIR were allowed to go home on “personal bond” but asked not to leave Ranchi and appear at the police station whenever asked. “We have decided to arrest no one before examining all angles. The accused also have points for defence,” SSP Prabhat Kumar said.