Sachin 'not keen' to be Test captain

DesiChap

Guwahati, Nov. 5: Mahendra Singh Dhoni is set to be India’s next Test captain as Sachin Tendulkar, widely seen as the frontrunner, is apparently “not keenâ€on doing the job for a third time. The post has been vacant ever since Rahul Dravid decided not to continue, around seven weeks ago. Sachin had been his deputy during the Test series in Bangladesh and England. “My understanding is that Sachin is not keen and has made that known to some people.… So, Dhoni looks the favourite.… It’s a plus that he’s already the ODI and Twenty20 captain,†a well-placed source told The Telegraph. Speaking on Monday evening, the source added: “It’s not just about continuity, but Dhoni has been doing very well in the ODI and Twenty20 format. He was superb today too (in the opening ODI against Pakistan) and deserved the Man of the Match award.†A confirmation couldn’t be got from Sachin, the sport’s seniormost pro and ambassador No. 1, as calls to his hotel room went unanswered right through the evening. Sachin’s first innings as captain was from August 1996 to December 1997 and, next, from August 1999 to March 2000. While the selectors removed him the first time, and brought back Mohammed Azharuddin, Sachin himself ended innings No. 2. The selectors — chairman Dilip Vengsarkar, Venkatapathi Raju, Bhupinder Singh, Sanjay Jagdale and Ranjib Biswal — are to meet in Mohali on Thursday, during the second ODI, to decide on the Test captain. There’s speculation that the appointment could be till the end of the 2007-08 season, next April. While Dhoni is the new frontrunner, assuming that Sachin actually isn’t keen, there could be some discussion on Anil Kumble’s credentials. Our most successful Test captain, Sourav Ganguly (who isn’t quite the establishment’s blue-eyed boy), may also be talked about.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1071106/asp/frontpage/story_8517047.asp

It's easier to captain a ODI or a Twenty20 side but you need enough international experience to captain a side in test series. I don't quite like to see Dhoni go Lee Germon's way :D I hope it is not either Dhoni or Tendulkar. Anil Kumble would be the best choice and second best is Laxman IMO.

Guest HariSampath
It's easier to captain a ODI or a Twenty20 side but you need enough international experience to captain a side in test series. I don't quite like to see Dhoni go Lee Germon's way :D I hope it is not either Dhoni or Tendulkar. Anil Kumble would be the best choice and second best is Laxman IMO.
I think the pressures of captaincy are greater in ODIs than in tests, obviously due to the enormous public following, media scrutiny , team XI selections etc. But on another note, any captain would first have to be a certainty in the test XI, and we don't have too many now except Dhoni , Dravid , Kumble and Sachin, and so by default it has to be Kumble if one doesn't want to "burden" Dhoni too early. For me a better reason to go with Kumble is that he is a fine thinking cricketer, aggressive and committed , has earned everyone's respect by gracefully retiring from ODIs and to top it all if captaincy of India can ever be an honor to a player who had won so many series for India over 15 years, this is it, Anil Kumble deserves it more than anyone
Guest HariSampath

An additional point in the Kumble way would be that Dhoni can play under him in tests, but doesn't have to play under him in ODIs, a situation that will certainly have been there if Sachin or Ganguly were test captain

I think the pressures of captaincy are greater in ODIs than in tests' date=' obviously due to the enormous public following, media scrutiny , team XI selections etc. But on another note, any captain would first have to be a certainty in the test XI, and we don't have too many now except Dhoni , Dravid , Kumble and Sachin, and so by default it has to be Kumble if one doesn't want to "burden" Dhoni too early. For me a better reason to go with Kumble is that he is a fine thinking cricketer, aggressive and committed , has earned everyone's respect by gracefully retiring from ODIs and to top it all if captaincy of India can ever be an honor to a player who had won so many series for India over 15 years, this is it, Anil Kumble deserves it more than anyone[/quote'] Nice analysis Hari - a question for you Is Kumble a certainty on Australian pitches?
Guest HariSampath
Nice analysis Hari - a question for you Is Kumble a certainty on Australian pitches?
He should be, given that the pitches have bounce that suits him more. More than that We need to look at the full picture. 1. Highly respected cricketer, within India, and certainly a champion bowler in tests over the years. 2. Very highly rated as the bowler to watch and respected for his ability by even Aussies. 3. A player who is playing just tests alone and no pressure of performance from ODI perspective. 4. Someone who will certainly be playing just for a couple of seasons more, ideally suited to slowly ease Dhoni into test captaincy. 5. Very less room for juniors versus seniors controversies, as he would be greatly respected by all seniors as well as junior cricketers ( particularly as there is no scope for clash in playing in ODI etc)
Guest HariSampath
The Aussies will just play him as a medium pace bowler - he hardly spins the ball even on indian pitches and might be rendered ineffective on Aussie pitches. I hope I am wrong but I dont see him winning matches for India in Australia
But he had never been a huge spinner of the ball, and always relied on his extra bounce and accuracy. He doesn't need to perform as a matchwinning bowler now, enough if he can bowl 30 odd overs for a couple of wkts and build pressure for others like Harbhajan, Karthik or Sreeshanth to take enough wkts. The value add as a total cricketer is more particularly in the context of being captain . I also think if he is captain, he would play to prove a point and may win a test or two, being able to inspire all players so much better
But he had never been a huge spinner of the ball' date=' and always relied on his extra bounce and accuracy. He doesn't need to perform as a matchwinning bowler now, enough if he can bowl 30 odd overs for a couple of wkts and build pressure for others like Harbhajan, Karthik or Sreeshanth to take enough wkts. The value add as a total cricketer is more particularly in the context of being captain . I also think if he is captain, he would play to prove a point and may win a test or two, being able to inspire all players so much better[/quote'] The problem with that arises when you can play only one spinner in your team - Perth for instance. If Kumble is captain - you are effectively ruling out Bhajji or Murali Kartik being picked.
Guest HariSampath
The problem with that arises when you can play only one spinner in your team - Perth for instance. If Kumble is captain - you are effectively ruling out Bhajji or Murali Kartik being picked.
Thats correct, and there should be no issues with that. Either Harbhajan or Karthik can play, in fact I would even pick 4 spinners in the squad to Aussie, with Chawla too, and 2 can play , or if necessary 3 spinners. After all, Kumble and Harbhajan have bowled well in tandem, with Karthik and Chawla not yet first choice test spinners

Online, Please rule out Bhajji for Tests in Aus. (with or without Kumble, you can rule Bhajji out). Bhajji has become a containing bowler, and esp in Aus (away tours) he is not going to get you anything. Really the competition will be between Kumble and Murali Kartik. That is a good competition.