Modi sarkar economic reforms/governance performance thread

FischerTal

Not happy with deregulating prices of essential drugs.
Prices of generic medicines are still under the control... Take the anti-cancer drugs for example nolvadex: generic names Tamoxifen/ Istubal/Valodex/Genox https://www.healthkartplus.com/detai...moxifen-100-mg costs about 38 for 100mg tablets Gleevec: generic names Imatib Alpha https://www.healthkartplus.com/detai...b-alpha-100-mg Rs. 850 for 1 Strip(s) (10 Capsules each) Geftinate:generic names Iressa/Gefitinib https://www.healthkartplus.com/detai...eftinat-250-mg MRP:Rs. 3400 for 1 Pack(s) (30 Tablets each)

That was a total bizarre move,. First, add the, to the list. Next, remove them. Later say, they were removed but under price control. I mean complete confusion. Currently, essential drug prices have increased and their availability is running very low. HIV patients might not have access to an essential drug for 1-month.
check what number and diva posted. i think its not as bad as what i thought of it before.

check what number and diva posted. i think its not as bad as what i thought of it before.
I have seen those numbers. I want to make two points - (1) The govt has stripped the regulatory body to control prices of non-essential drugs in the future. In other words, pharma companies are free to increase prices (2) My previous post was with the confused state of the govt. First, add then remove then say under control -then say not under control. Bhai kehna kya chahte ho? Businesses don't like uncertainty and that too one which crops up one every month.

PSUs like Coal India and NTPC to construct 50,000 toilets across the country Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/44008861.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst more important than constructing toilet is also maintenance. what steps will govt take for that?
Wrong news. It's 100,000 by Enery PSUs :) One Lakh Toilets in Schools to be constructed by Energy PSUs within a Year : Piyush Goyal http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=110246

Swachh Bharat is an excellent and much needed campaign :nice: In his speech today, Modi invited Goa governor Mridula Sinha, Bharat Ratna Sachin Tendulkar, yoga guru Baba Ramdev, actor Kamal Haasan, Congress leader Shashi Tharoor, actress Priyanka Chopra, actor Salman Khan, business honcho Anil Ambani and the team of Tarak Mehta Ka Oolta Chashma to take up the campaign. Again, excellent choices in terms of their reach and popularity.

Swachh Bharat is an excellent and much needed campaign :nice: In his speech today, Modi invited Goa governor Mridula Sinha, Bharat Ratna Sachin Tendulkar, yoga guru Baba Ramdev, actor Kamal Haasan, Congress leader Shashi Tharoor, actress Priyanka Chopra, actor Salman Khan, business honcho Anil Ambani and the team of Tarak Mehta Ka Oolta Chashma to take up the campaign. Again, excellent choices in terms of their reach and popularity.
this is all cosmetic. where are the concrete measures? instead of an all-India campaign, i would like it if they start with one or two states where you can implement measures more effectively and make it serve as a role-model. also pick states where there are a lot of migrants from other states so word can spread into other states about the good work done by government. this is one of reasons modi became popular outside of gujarat during his tenure as CM because migrants made him popular in their respective home states.

this is all cosmetic. where are the concrete measures? instead of an all-India campaign' date=' i would like it if they start with one or two states where you can implement measures more effectively and make it serve as a role-model. also pick states where there are a lot of migrants from other states so word can spread into other states about the good work done by government. this is one of reasons modi became popular outside of gujarat during his tenure as CM because migrants made him popular in their respective home states.[/quote'] The concrete measure would be to design a system such that people don't litter. We talk so much about design in electronic equipments but urban design is as much important. I never knew of this aspect until very recently a colleague of mine from Ecuador introduced me to the area of "Urban Computing". It takes extreme foresight to design such systems but we have years, years of knowledge (all over the world including India itself) to design efficient littering and urban spaces. I might do some work in this space too - lets see how this goes. Here's a nice publication on what factors (personal and environmental) promote littering Littering in Context: Personal and Environmental Predictors of Littering Behavior http://eab.sagepub.com/content/45/1/35.full.pdf+html

this is all cosmetic. where are the concrete measures? instead of an all-India campaign' date=' i would like it if they start with one or two states where you can implement measures more effectively and make it serve as a role-model. also pick states where there are a lot of migrants from other states so word can spread into other states about the good work done by government. this is one of reasons modi became popular outside of gujarat during his tenure as CM because migrants made him popular in their respective home states.[/quote'] That's not PM's job.. he created awareness and initiated a campaing.. now it is upto states, local govt, and individuals to come up with the design..

This clean campaign is all political drama Need stricter laws to punish offenders of littering, too many times I have seen the hypocrisy of pilgrims all across India, chucking away plastic containers, bottles, nappies on to road, on their way to temples. Need to introduce strict laws and penalty Singapore style to change attitudes w.r.t to littering

The concrete measure would be to design a system such that people don't litter. We talk so much about design in electronic equipments but urban design is as much important. I never knew of this aspect until very recently a colleague of mine from Ecuador introduced me to the area of "Urban Computing". It takes extreme foresight to design such systems but we have years, years of knowledge (all over the world including India itself) to design efficient littering and urban spaces. I might do some work in this space too - lets see how this goes. Here's a nice publication on what factors (personal and environmental) promote littering Littering in Context: Personal and Environmental Predictors of Littering Behavior http://eab.sagepub.com/content/45/1/35.full.pdf+html
:nice:

The Swacch Bharat program is even worse than the Nirmal Bharat program. The politicians and beaurecrats don't simply understand that the underlying problem is not one of infrastructure - for which enough support is already available. It is about a Sasur to go into the same loo as his bahu, about a thakur to take a dump where a Dalit did, about cleaning toilets where neighbors took a dump etc. I am not even getting into the environmental issues and problems.

I still think it is a very good initiative. The problem, as with many other good campaigns in India, is the (lack of) proper implementation. What happened yesterday was just a media stunt. If this campaign can be properly implemented then it can being about a lot of positive change.

The Swacch Bharat program is even worse than the Nirmal Bharat program. The politicians and beaurecrats don't simply understand that the underlying problem is not one of infrastructure - for which enough support is already available. It is about a Sasur to go into the same loo as his bahu, about a thakur to take a dump where a Dalit did, about cleaning toilets where neighbors took a dump etc. I am not even getting into the environmental issues and problems.
Dont know in which world you live. Lets talk about my village in UP, most number of houses there have toilets and every family member uses the same toilet whether a sasur or a bahu. Most of the dump is collected at one place in villages and cow dung is used as natural fertilizer for agricultural purposes.