Modi sarkar economic reforms/governance performance thread

FischerTal

A glorious pilgrimage of Dear Leader's birthplace.

" Prime Minister Narendra Modi's birthplace Vadnagar and a visit to the railway station where he used to sell tea as a boy are now part of a tour package started by Gujarat Government's tourism agency. Tourism Corporation of Gujarat Ltd (TCGL), through its official partner, is offering a day-long tour, costing Rs 600 per head, to Vadnagar in Mehsana district and the local railway station where the PM used to sell tea as a boy at a stall owned by his father, among other spots. The package, 'A Rise From Modi's Village', is being offered by a city-based tour company which is a TCGL partner. State-run TCGL is promoting the tour on its website."
They also get a chance to see the Vadnagar-based high school where he performed various roles in dramas, it said. "For those wanting to know more about Modiji, we have arranged meetings with his school classmates, who provide unheard tales about Modiji when he was a student. We then take tourists to the Hatkeshwar Temple, where our PM used to play drums during prayers,"
I hope the fortunate pilgrims also get to see the sickular crocodiles that Dear Leader vanquished with his bare hands during his childhood. LINK

He is in SNU - that's Shiv Nadar University (he's the owner of HCL computers.... not related to Cong from what I know). And as for rajya Sabha tv - I'm not sure about that but I don't think he worked there. Might have done some interviews for them...
Siddharth Varadarajan and Kumar Ketkar are Members of the Advisory Council of the Haridev Joshi University of Journalism and Mass Communication, Jaipur. They were both nominated by the Congress govt, and I doubt it was entirely for their impartial (lol!) journalistic skills. http://www.hjuj.ac.in/advisory-council.htm Sid-V also has an interviewing gig on the Rajya Sabha TV. I don't know if its like a permanent position, but he has a fairly regular slot.

A glorious pilgrimage of Dear Leader's birthplace.

I hope the fortunate pilgrims also get to see the sickular crocodiles that Dear Leader vanquished with his bare hands during his childhood. LINK

They got reincarnated and one of them is also on this forum, a mod I believe, easily identifiable by his reptilian avatar.

Anyone who saw the election coverage with their eyes open could see that the coverage modi got was extraordinary (small example - I have been reading newspapers, especially political coverage in papers, for at least 10 years but I have NEVER EVER seen the kind of of coverage Modi's rallies got - every big rally in UP got 3 pages in local editions (if it was in Agra then ALL Hindi papers in Agra had it on at least half the front page and then around 2 or 2.5 pages more) and at least 1 page across ALL other editions in UP). And that is my biggest problem till now with Modi Sarkar - everytime the Govt does something questionable, its just said that Cong also did it. Cong gave it to Rajdeep Sardesai so why cant BJP give it to Rajat Sharma....Cong had HUGE full page ads with pics of Sonia/Rahul for every big and and small achievement (which cost crores and crores every week) so whats wrong with Modi Sarkar doing it with pics of Modi......Cong had Digvijay Singh/Mani Shankar Aiyar/Satyavrat Chaturvedia making despicable statements but they were not controlled so whats the problem if Giriraj Singh or "sadhvi" jyoti say a few words and are not controlled or punished for that etc etc etc.
That's laughable. Modi never got any support from the media in LS 2014. It's not that he needs support but the media could at least be fair or neutral. But the media were blatantly anti-Modi. Showing the live coverage of Modi is normal work but it was done to other parties as well. The whole Kejriwal phenomenon that he will beat Modi in Varanasi was created by the same media. What was ridiculous, they broadcast the rallies followed by the next whole day debating on why Modi should not be voted. They called all sorts of people, bollywood stars, international scholars who had nothing in politics on why Modi should not be voted. The media till the last day of results were praying that opinion polls are wrong, Kejriwal beats Modi and Congress wins back. I have said it before this LS 2014 coverage done by our media deserves a documentary as for the whole one year, they kept on saying Modi will lose. And the outrage by our media today on some controversies statements made by BJP people is very selective. Where was the outrage when Sonia called Modi "maut ka saudagar" or when their other leaders called him all sort of nasty and abusive names. This selective outrage is what's the problem said for our paid media.

Anyone who saw the election coverage with their eyes open could see that the coverage modi got was extraordinarys.
Kejriwal and AAP also got extraordinary coverage leading to IAC movement and then Delhi election for first time. Did they throw money too? Same AAj Tak channels were making special episodes about Kejriwal, entering his home, showing his lifestyle, his upbringing, his ideologies. Did they get money from Kejriwal too? Media made a hero out of Kejriwal too. Dont think people even knew who Kejriwal was before that Anna Hazare dharna in Delhi. People knew about Anna Hazare, but Kejriwal took center stage only from there.

lapsed tenders hurt make-in-india defence industry push

almost a year into his "Make in India" campaign, which aims to turn the country into a manufacturing powerhouse, not one large domestic weapons project has been awarded. Tenders for anything from air defence guns to surface-to-air missiles to transport planes have lapsed, defence ministry officials told Reuters. The tenders total around $15 billion according to a Reuters compilation of offers since early 2013. Executives cited unrealistic quality demands from a military short of planes, tanks and guns as a key reason for their reluctance to bid for projects. Complicating things further, the military doesn't want weapons from Indian firms with no track record in defence manufacturing, experts said.
Experts said one problem is that some military officers eye technology only available in the west, without understanding what Indian firms can produce. "The armed forces are reluctant to accept hardware that doesn't have a record in operational conditions. Indian companies have no track record," said Bharat Karnad at the Centre for Policy Research in New Delhi. Retired vice admiral Premvir Das added that to expect Indian companies to manufacture major defence platforms in the forseeable future is to "live in a dreamland".
LINK

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/in-new-scheme-rich-temples-may-open-gold-vaults-for-pm-modi-report-753890?utm_source=ndtv&utm_medium=top-stories-widget&utm_campaign=story-3-http%3a%2f%2fwww.ndtv.com%2findia-news%2fin-new-scheme-rich-temples-may-open-gold-vaults-for-pm-modi-report-753890 In New Scheme, Rich Temples May Open Gold Vaults for PM Modi: Report
Mumbai/New Delhi: The two-century-old Shree Siddhivinayak temple in Mumbai devoted to Lord Ganesha bristles with close circuit cameras and is guarded by 65 security officers. It is one of India's richest temples, having amassed 158 kg of gold offerings, worth some $67 million or over Rs. 417 crore, and its heavily guarded vaults are strictly off limits. India is the world's biggest consumer of gold and ancient temples have collected billions of dollars in jewellery, bars and coins over the centuries. A few years ago, a treasure of gold worth an estimated $20 billion or over Rs. 1,24,750 crore was discovered in secret subterranean vaults in the Sree Padmanabha Swamy temple in Kerala. RelatedWill Defend Right and Liberty of Every Citizen, Says Prime Minister Narendra Modi in France 'Will Defend Right and Liberty of Every Citizen', Says PM Modi in France: Highlights 26/11 Mastermind Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi Has Left Jail, at Undisclosed Location To help tackle India's chronic trade imbalance, PM Modi's government is reportedly planning to launch a scheme next month that would encourage temples to deposit their gold with banks in return for interest payments. The government would melt the gold and loan it to jewellers to meet the seemingly insatiable consumer appetite for gold and reduce economically-crippling gold imports, which accounted for 28 per cent of India's trade deficit in the year ending March 2013. India's annual gold imports of 800 to 1,000 tonnes could be cut by a quarter if temples decided to participate in the scheme, say government and industry sources. "We would be happy to deposit our gold to nationalised banks if the policy is beneficial, safe and earns good interest," said Narendra Murari Rane, chairman of the trust for the Siddhivinayak temple, portions of which are gold-plated. But a Mumbai-based gold merchant, who said he and his father had donated around 200 kg of gold to Siddhivinayak and other temples over the years, said it would be a sin for the temples to earn interest on the gold offered to the gods. "I make donations to God; not to any temple trust," the 52-year-old merchant said. Key to the government's plan will be the interest rates offered for gold deposits. A similar gold monetization plan launched in 1999 proved ineffective, in part because the interest rates offered on gold deposits were regarded by temple officials as too low. Under that scheme India's top lender the State Bank of India offers 0.75 per cent to 1 per cent, and only 15 tonnes of gold has been deposited so far. India raised the import duty on gold, the country's biggest non-essential import, and imposed other restrictions in 2013 after the current account deficit hit a record $190 billion. If India can cut imports, that would pressure gold prices that fell to a four-month low last month before recovering. Lower gold prices will help India cut its import bill. However, a successful gold monetization scheme could also expose the government to potential risks, if gold prices were to take off and depositors decided to withdraw at the same time. "There is going to be a lock-in period under the new gold monetizing scheme," said Sudheesh Nambiath, an analyst at precious metals consultancy GFMS. "Banks will have to replenish the stocks with imports later (if temples withdraw gold)."
Not sure people will agree.

^fantastic idea. HUGE amounts is gold is just sitting there in temples even as we have to import so much of it every year. Use the gold from the temples and on top of that, make sure that the interest received by temples is used by them in public service (running charitable hospitals etc) rather than just depositing the amount back in banks. This way I guess people who donated gold to temples will also be satisfied.

Gold deposit schemes already exist , but they have not been popular because of low interest rates and minimum lock in period of 3 years. Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams (TTD) has deposited 4,335 kg of pure gold under deposit with SBI, Corporation Bank and Indian Overseas Bank and deposited another 1800 Kilos last year. Industry analysts have been asking the Govt to eliminate the lock-in period so that depositors can trade their Gold bonds when liquidity is needed.

And while they are at it' date=' open the vaults of the Padmanabhswamy Temple now. There is obviously lots of gold and other valuable stuff in there - sell all of it and use the money to build public utilities.[/quote'] Extend this scheme to the other religious boards and places too. Sell or securitize properties or wealth owned by Christian missionary organizations and the Waqf board.

Extend this scheme to the other religious boards and places too. Sell or securitize properties or wealth owned by Christian missionary organizations and the Waqf board.
I'm not asking for Temple properties to be sold. And yes, if Churches/Waqf Board have gold etc which is just sitting there for decades then it should be sold. I really don't give a damn for religious sentiments in this case.

Subramanian Swamy warns PM Modi about Rafael deal. April 10, 2015.

STATEMENT OF DR. SUBRAMANIAN SWAMY, PRESIDENT OF VIRAT HINDUSTAN SANGAM MADE IN NEW DELHI. I urge the Prime Minister not to finalize the Rafale Aircraft Deal with France. The deal originally was negotiated by the previous UPA Government. There are two major issues with the Rafale Aircraft Deal which if clinched would embarrass the BJP Government at the Centre. The first is that Rafale is a less fuel efficient aircraft and lacking in essential performance characteristics because of which no country in the world has agreed to buy these aircrafts. Some countries have cancelled contracts after signing an MoU with Dasault, the manufacturers, after carrying out a trial of the plane, for example, Switzerland. The Rafale performance of Libya and Egypt turned out to be worst of all the aircrafts which were deployed by the allies liberating the countries from tyranny. The second issue is that the present Rafael Deal negotiated was de-facto a privately negotiated deal between the wife of the former French President Ms Carla Bruni, who is an Italian with two Italian sisters of Ms Sonia Gandhi, namely Ms Anushka and Ms Nadia, and is a corrupt deal to the core. Dasault will go bankrupt if no country buys the Rafale and therefore if we want to oblige the French it is better to buy Dasault company itself rather than their planes, as it will be more beneficial and cost effective. If the Prime Minister for some other compulsion anyway decides to go ahead with the deal, then I will have no option but to approach the Court in a PIL to get it set aside. (SUBRAMANIAN SWAMY)
LINK