FischerTal

Modi sarkar economic reforms/governance performance thread

See, this is the problem I have. I am not sure what to believe and what not to. Once I post links, you will make fun of me that I am using Internet and what not. Sep 2, 2013 : Railways adds more bio-toilets for clean and hygienic journey http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/allahabad/Railways-adds-more-bio-toilets-for-clean-and-hygienic-journey/articleshow/22219241.cms
Ok my Bad. I have not heard this thing before therefore I was under the impresion that it is something being implemented now. Thanks for that link man, it helped.

Some statistics regarding open defecation in India. This is just one part of "sanitation". BsxJT9SIcAI0g2v.png20140719_ASM951.png
Just going by the graphic, if gov just focuses on north-central India it would go a long way reducing India's open defecation shame.

Modi had invited Goddy (and 8 other people) to take part in the SwachBharat campaign...here's what happened next :nice: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=857228950967972&set=vb.344128252278047&type=2&theater&notif_t=video_processed
Sachin, pfffft, what does he know. Unemployed lizards sitting in New Jersey know best.

One Week, Many Reforms: PM Modi Burnishes Economic Credentials

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has unleashed a slew of reforms in the past week, scrapping fuel subsidies, simplifying labour rules and pledging to open coal mining to private players in a bid to kickstart the economy. The reforms are seen as some of the most significant since Mr Modi and his BJP swept the national election in May. But analysts say the reforms so far represent the low-hanging fruit. They point out that because the government and its allies are still in a minority in the Upper House or Rajya Sabha, they will find it tough to push through more politically sensitive changes that are key to getting growth back on track. In a week, Mr Modi has reduced paperwork and inspections of factories to ease the burden of manufacturing in India, which is currently at an unenviable 134th on a World Bank ease-of-doing business chart. Over the weekend, his government released diesel pricing from state control, ending one of India's costliest subsidies. It also cleared a delayed increase in domestic gas prices, hiking by one-third the amount the government pays natural gas producers to encourage exploration which will in turn make India less dependent on imports. Economists have long argued India's potential will only be unleashed when it curbs subsidies, relaxes suffocating regulation and rigid labour laws and eases complex rules governing industrial land acquisition. On Monday the government announced measures to pave the way for private companies to sell coal, which will eventually help break the monopoly of one of the world's biggest mining giants, Coal India, which is state-run. The government is also readying to sell a five-percent stake in state-run heavyweight Oil and Natural Gas Corp. in the hope of raising $3 billion or Rs. 18,300 Crores, which would help trim this year's fiscal deficit. The stock market has already reached near record heights as the PM tries to jumpstart growth that fell below five percent last year -- half the rate of just a few years ago. The government plans in the next parliamentary session to scrap nearly 300 outdated laws, many of which were enacted under British colonial rule and contribute to a notoriously cumbersome legal system. The reforms enacted so far, economists say, will reduce red tape and help draw foreign investors. Mr Modi has already appealed to the world to "make in India" as the country seeks jobs for its army of young people. However, the big-bang reforms, such as amending the industrial disputes act to make it easier to lay off workers, are untouched. Economists say they expect more progress on resolving labour issues and bringing in a national goods-and-services tax that will end the patchwork of levies making doing business in India costlier
http://profit.ndtv.com/news/economy/article-one-week-many-reforms-pm-modi-burnishes-economic-credentials-682897?pfrom=home-lateststories

^Yes this in particular is heartening - despite what people might say researchers should not be motivated by money your subject matter hi apna dhyeya and yada yada - aur khaaye kya mitti patthar? Hope the day isn't far when they do something similar for faculty salaries too - though the argument of cart before the bullock/egg-chicken will continue to hold as ever. If we do nothing about it we will never know.

50 percent hike in pay for science research fellowships by Modi sarkar
Great step! - by any chance do you have a link to the circular? I would like to see who exactly it affects. I checked with some of the colleagues and they haven't receiving any hike. I am sure there would be hike - just need to identify the quantum.
^Yes this in particular is heartening - despite what people might say researchers should not be motivated by money your subject matter hi apna dhyeya and yada yada - aur khaaye kya mitti patthar? Hope the day isn't far when they do something similar for faculty salaries too - though the argument of cart before the bullock/egg-chicken will continue to hold as ever. If we do nothing about it we will never know.
That's a pretty rubbish argument. Motivation could come from any source - the problem is when conflict happens.

Modi @ Reliance hospital opening: 'Plastic surgeon may have fixed elephant's head on Ganesha' :wall: http://m.rediff.com/news/report/modi--reliance-hospital-opening-plastic-surgeon-may-have-fixed-elephants-head-on-ganesha/20141025.htm

"Mahabharata says Karna was not born out of his mother's womb. This means people then were aware of genetic science. There must have been a plastic surgeon who fixed an elephant's head on Ganesha," he said, adding what mathematician Aryabhata said centuries ago, world has accepted now.

PM rededicates Sir H.N. Reliance Foundation Hospital and Research Centre in Mumbai http://pib.nic.in/newsite/mbErel.aspx?relid=110800

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, today said India will undergo a renewal through the combined efforts of 125 crore Indians. He was speaking at the inauguration of the Sir H.N. Reliance Foundation Hospital and Research Centre in Mumbai. He said, just as this 90 year old hospital has undergone kayakalp (renewal), India too, can undergo a kayakalp. The Prime Minister expressed concern over India's health indicators such as infant mortality and maternal mortality. He said even if one child fell in a borewell, the entire country was worried, but we need to generate more awareness about the hundreds of children who are unable to survive due to lack of primary healthcare facilities. He said society and Government should together give priority to the poorest of poor and make whatever efforts we can to provide affordable health services. He said the Reliance Foundation Hospital was a step in that direction. The Prime Minister said medical equipment was gaining increasing importance in the field of healthcare, and the need of the hour is for India to manufacture such equipment, as part of the 'Make in India' programme, so that it became available to the poorest of people even in remote corners of India. Referring to the Digital India programme of the Union Government, he said one of the primary aims of this programme was to ensure advanced healthcare in remote areas through telemedicine, and access to the best education for poor. The Prime Minister called for a renewed thrust on preventive healthcare, saying that treatment is expensive, while prevention is economical. He said clean drinking water for all would be the biggest source of preventive healthcare. He congratulated the Government of Madhya Pradesh for its initiative of washing hands. The Prime Minister spoke of his suggestion at the United Nations for an International Yoga Day. He said holistic healthcare was a subject of interest across the world, and India could contribute a lot to this cause, through its rich heritage. He said India had a heritage where people desired the good of everyone. "A true leader works with the intention of wiping the tears of the poor," the Prime Minister said, reciting two shlokas. He congratulated the Reliance Foundation for its health outreach efforts in the neighbourhood communities. Smt. Kokilaben Ambani presented a memento to the Prime Minister. The Chairperson of Reliance Foundation Smt. Nita Ambani delivered the welcome address, and talked about the facilities available in the hospital. Shri Mukesh Ambani delivered a vote of thanks. The Governor of Maharashtra Shri C. Vidyasagar Rao, Shri Amitabh Bachchan, Shri Sachin Tendulkar, Rajya Sabha MP Shri Parimal Nathwani and many other distinguished guests and members of the Ambani family were also present on the occasion.
The regular OPD consultation charges is 1100/- and subsequent follow ups are 750/-. How the hell is the Reliance Hospital a step towards affordable health care services for the poor? Even I would find this steep. Wockhardt charged me 600/- during my previous visit. http://rfhospital.org/billing_payments.html

PM rededicates Sir H.N. Reliance Foundation Hospital and Research Centre in Mumbai http://pib.nic.in/newsite/mbErel.aspx?relid=110800 The regular OPD consultation charges is 1100/- and subsequent follow ups are 750/-. How the hell is the Reliance Hospital a step towards affordable health care services for the poor? Even I would find this steep. Wockhardt charged me 600/- during my previous visit. http://rfhospital.org/billing_payments.html
I believe the figure on the website you quoted is the charge for regular (non-subsidized) patients.
.... The hospital will reserve a fifth of its capacity for the underprivileged and provide 10 per cent beds for free to the needy and another 10 per cent at subsidised rates. Doctors have also been asked to conduct free surgeries and hold free weekly OPDs for the poor as well. ...... http://ibnlive.in.com/news/mumbai-sir-hn-reliance-foundation-hospital-to-be-inaugurated-by-pm-modi-today/508395-3-237.html

I believe the figure on the website you quoted is the charge for regular (non-subsidized) patients.
Cool. But, I believe this is mandatory according to a SC order because RHF is built on subsidized land Anyways, I hope that things materialize on the ground for the sake of the poor.

Great step! - by any chance do you have a link to the circular? I would like to see who exactly it affects. I checked with some of the colleagues and they haven't receiving any hike. I am sure there would be hike - just need to identify the quantum. That's a pretty rubbish argument. Motivation could come from any source - the problem is when conflict happens.
can't find link to circular. this is the article i read http://www.business-standard.com/article/government-press-release/dr-jitendra-singh-announces-hike-in-fellowship-amount-to-research-scientists-114102101127_1.html

Genetic sciences and cross species organ transplant during Mahabharata times - you must be kidding me.
Archaeologists made the discovery that the people of Indus Valley Civilization, even from the early Harappan periods (c. 3300 BCE), had knowledge of medicine and dentistry. The physical anthropologist that carried out the examinations, Professor Andrea Cucina from the University of Missouri-Columbia, made the discovery when he was cleaning the teeth from one of the men. Later research in the same area found evidence of teeth having been drilled, dating back 9,000 years to 7000 BCE.[20] Sushruta (c. 600 BCE other dates range from 1000 BCE to 900 CE)[21] was an early innovator of plastic surgery who taught and practiced surgery on the banks of the Ganges in the area that corresponds to the present day city of Benares in Northern India. Much of what is known about Sushruta is in Sanskrit contained in a series of volumes he authored, which are collectively known as the Sushrutha Samhita. It is the oldest known surgical text and it describes in detail the examination, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of numerous ailments, as well as procedures on performing various forms of cosmetic surgery, plastic surgery and rhinoplasty.[22] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_surgery#India

Genetic sciences and cross species organ transplant during Mahabharata times - you must be kidding me.
The thing is that people than had knowledge of these things.They knew these things could be possibly done.They may not have done it because of technological limitations but to think along those lines is very admirable.Ancient Hindu texts talk about flying vehicles their design resemble modern aircrafts.They talk about voice commands and auto pilots.Then the writings of devastating weapons similar to our nukes.The Indian texts said Sun was the center long before Copernicus or Galileo. Btw next time you have free time do look up Indus Valley civilization and how it has surprised people with its technological advancements.Earl8er it was thought that it was limited to near Indus and hence the name now its sites are found as far as Iran Afghanistan Northern India even central India.Practically nothing is known about how such a huge civilization died off suddenly.How people died on streets holding hands.Lots of amazing things to know about that civilization.

Modi @ Reliance hospital opening: 'Plastic surgeon may have fixed elephant's head on Ganesha' :wall: http://m.rediff.com/news/report/modi--reliance-hospital-opening-plastic-surgeon-may-have-fixed-elephants-head-on-ganesha/20141025.htm
I read about that. It is an embarrassment to hear PM speaking like this :wall: I used to hear these kind of stories from baba's in village but here goes our Modi Baba.

The thing is that people than had knowledge of these things.They knew these things could be possibly done.They may not have done it because of technological limitations but to think along those lines is very admirable.Ancient Hindu texts talk about flying vehicles their design resemble modern aircrafts.They talk about voice commands and auto pilots.Then the writings of devastating weapons similar to our nukes.The Indian texts said Sun was the center long before Copernicus or Galileo. Btw next time you have free time do look up Indus Valley civilization and how it has surprised people with its technological advancements.Earl8er it was thought that it was limited to near Indus and hence the name now its sites are found as far as Iran Afghanistan Northern India even central India.Practically nothing is known about how such a huge civilization died off suddenly.How people died on streets holding hands.Lots of amazing things to know about that civilization.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: There is a different between knowledge and fantasies.

So Aeroplanes/AutoPilots on them/Voice Commands/Nukes are fantasies? You need to read up.
They were fantasies at one point of time. Now they are realities. You can read up Super Commando Dhruv's comics to read how fantasies are different from realities. Claims of ancient Indians knowing aircrafts or plastic surgery (as spoken by Baba Modi) based on Mahabhrat or Ramayan are as laughable as claiming that humans were capable of intergalactic travel based on Star wars movies. You decide Star Wars movies are fantasy or reality? Even to defend such ludicrous claims of super-advancement of those older civilizations is an insult to intellect. Kids love to create these drawing where a human has dog's or cat's head. Are they plastic surgeons by birth? :hysterical::hysterical: I believe you are a doctor and hope you don't recommend Sanjeevani Booti to your patients.

Archaeologists made the discovery that the people of Indus Valley Civilization' date=' even from the early Harappan periods (c. 3300 BCE), had knowledge of medicine and dentistry. The physical anthropologist that carried out the examinations, Professor Andrea Cucina from the University of Missouri-Columbia, made the discovery when he was cleaning the teeth from one of the men. Later research in the same area found evidence of teeth having been drilled, dating back 9,000 years to 7000 BCE.[20'] Sushruta (c. 600 BCE other dates range from 1000 BCE to 900 CE)[21] was an early innovator of plastic surgery who taught and practiced surgery on the banks of the Ganges in the area that corresponds to the present day city of Benares in Northern India. Much of what is known about Sushruta is in Sanskrit contained in a series of volumes he authored, which are collectively known as the Sushrutha Samhita. It is the oldest known surgical text and it describes in detail the examination, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of numerous ailments, as well as procedures on performing various forms of cosmetic surgery, plastic surgery and rhinoplasty.[22] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_surgery#India
:confused: None of it says that there was knowledge of genetic sciences or cross species organ transplants. Please look into what plastic surgery we are talking about
He has very succinctly described the reconstruction of the nose by cheek flap, repair of cut earlobe, piercing of earlobe, repair of cut lip, skin grafting, classification of burns, wound care and wound healing.
http://www.jpgmonline.com/article.asp?issn=0022-3859;year=2002;volume=48;issue=1;spage=76;epage=8;aulast=Rana Control yaar! I know about Sushruta and that would have been an excellent example.

All said and done - prove that they had knowledge of genetic sciences OR cross species organ transplant. You are a doctor - please do not add fuel to raita.

They were fantasies at one point of time. Now they are realities. You can read up Super Commando Dhruv's comics to read how fantasies are different from realities. Claims of ancient Indians knowing aircrafts or plastic surgery (as spoken by Baba Modi) based on Mahabhrat or Ramayan are as laughable as claiming that humans were capable of intergalactic travel based on Star wars movies. You decide Star Wars movies are fantasy or reality? Even to defend such ludicrous claims of super-advancement of those older civilizations is an insult to intellect. Kids love to create these drawing where a human has dog's or cat's head. Are they plastic surgeons by birth? :hysterical::hysterical: I believe you are a doctor and hope you don't recommend Sanjeevani Booti to your patients.
this hurts religious sentiments. this person should be be banned for hurting a religion

In logic' date=' you have to prove something exists and not the other way round.[/quote']I don't think that applies to religious beliefs. Narendra Modi was clearly talking of his religious beliefs. The statements about Ganesha and Karna were aimed at those who believe the religious Hindu mythology in the first place.

Stop using quran/bible logic on mahabharata and ramayana. You should be allowed to comment on them without fear of repercussion.
Let me get this, You are saying that You (Hindus) are better than Muslims/Christians because you have the freedom to critique? Mods, we have a Hindu supremacist among us. I think a suspension of a suitable duration is in order to give this individual some time for self examination as well as to maintain harmony and secular fabric of ICF.

Let me get this, You are saying that You (Hindus) are better than Muslims/Christians because you have the freedom to critique? Mods, we have a Hindu supremacist among us. I think a suspension of a suitable duration is in order to give this individual some time for self examination as well as to maintain harmony and secular fabric of ICF.
hindus have the freedom to comment and critique the two epics. That is why there are so many interpretations of ramayana and mahabharatha. But bhakts and chaddis seem to have a secret love for primitive practices in Islam and Christianity. So you should reflect on who needs self examination. :icflove:

hindus have the freedom to comment and critique the two epics. That is why there are so many interpretations of ramayana and mahabharatha. But bhakts and chaddis seem to have a secret love for primitive practices in Islam and Christianity. So you should reflect on who needs self examination. :icflove:
So "bhakts" and "chaddis" are more secular than pseculars? :two_thumbs_up: