So why do you love cricket?

Lurker

For most of us, if not all, cricket is the greatest sports. In India we live and breath it, even if we come outside India we still hang onto it and try to be involved in any way we can. Why do you love cricket? Lets hear some nice insights. It would be greatly appreciated if you could elaborate your thoughts and not plainly write "I like cos its the best" or something along the lines. One reason why I personally love cricket is the characters it throws out. The people who so human somehow also seem like supermen. On a given day they could battle for their country on their own. Back against the wall, living on borrowed times but still fighting to their last breath. How many times have we grown up hearing, "We thought we had the Aussies down and out but then Steve Waugh showed up!"..stuff like that or as under: For most of newcomers Gilbert Jessop is the name they would not know. For some others he is man who could hit huge sixes but thats about it. For some others though he is the man who was nicknamed Croucher and the person who brought in more crowd to watch him bat than even Don Bradman(as spoken by none other than Jack Hobbs). Like the time he batted like no-one else could. The game was between Aussies and England at Kennigton Oval, London. On a rain affected pitch Aussies were dismissed for 121 leaving England to chase 263 on a breaking wicket. England collpased to 48/5 and in walks Jessop. In those days the number of deliveries were not measured and so we can not say how many balls he faced. What we do know is he blasted a superb century at less than a minute(104 in 77 minutes). His last 50 runs coming in 12 minutes or so. In between his stay England had managed 129 runs of which Jessop scored 104. England would go on to win the game and the innings would be noted as one of the greatest ever(Wisden ranked in as one of the 100 greatest test innings ever, it came at 36). http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1900S/1902/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_ENG_T5_11-13AUG1902.html So why do you love cricket? xxxx

Guest dada_rocks

Re: So why do you love cricket? Well for me it's thrill of anything could happen on next ball and it does happen all the time, people say that for every sport but in cricket it seems to be more true than the rest.

Re: So why do you love cricket? wonderful post. this topic merits some thought. unfortunately i dont have time to sit and pen my thoughts in detail, but i would say it is a spoonful of nationalistic sentiments coupled with the thrill we derive from the spirit of competition, the test of character and the unpredictability that is cricket. in no other sport have i found the need to be such a well rounded personality to succeed. you dont need to just be tall and throw a ball in a hoop. you dont need to be able to hit a ball miles or throw a ball fast. but you do need a bit of stamina, a bit of agility, strong-minded grit, as well as the basic skills that are central to the sport. seeing a little fellow like sachin or a chubby guy like boon or a bespectacled humble bloke like kumble do wonders is what gives me hope.

Re: So why do you love cricket? I am a sport lover in general. The uncertainity of sports excites me. Cricket is no different from most team sports. Not knowing what to expect the next moment, thrills me. I can be in the 7th heaven or in the dog house, depending on how my team performs. Inspite of the numerous disappointing moments, that elusive joyous moment keeps me motivated & interested.

Re: So why do you love cricket? I have played cricket since I was first introduced to it at the age of 8. Naturally I have always loved this sport probably is a big part of my life as I used to spend about 40 hours a week playing cricket till about the time I started my work career. Since then I have been spending roughly about 15-20 hours playing cricket. Naturally this sport is very much a part of my life ala having a breakfast each morning.