Wimbledon 2014 - June 23rd to July 6th

zep1706

Wimbledon-2013-schedule-of-play-and-live-scores-via-apps.jpgbritain-olympics-2012-wimbledon-tennis-2010-8-13-11-0-9.jpg The most prestigious tournament in the tennis calendar, the Wimbledon Championships 2014 starts in a week. The top 8 seeds for the gentlemen's competition would be -- 1. Djokovic 2. Nadal 3. Murray 4. Federer 5. Wawrinka 6. Berdych 7. Ferrer 8. Rionic The draws will be out on Friday, June 20th. PS: Mods, please make this thread sticky. :icflove:

The favorites: 1. Andy Murray: Defending champion, has been excellent on grass in the last few years. He has played really well on clay and although he lost early at Queens it is safe to assume that he is back in form. 2. Roger Federer: He will always be one of the top favorites at Wimbledon as long as he continues to play the game. He is also in good grass court form after playing well in Halle again. He would be confident to regain his crown with a grass title in bag already. 3. Novak Djokovic: Grass is not his favorite surface but he is the most consistent of the top guys at slams these days. If there is one guy that you can bet on to reach semis it is him. He has lost quite a few slam finals in the last couple of years, would love to correct that to some extent. Dark Horses: Rafael Nadal: Has been in terrible form on grass court for the last couple of years, but don't count him out until he is actually out. Lost early at Halle to an inspired opponent but he has a point to prove at Wimbledon-- that he is still good on grass. His main challenge would be to get past the first week and if he does that he would automatically be one of the top contenders. Grigor Dimitrov: Has an excellent game for grass court tennis and has proved somewhat that he can live up to people's expectations by winning Queens. In form and hungry. I am sure none of the top guys would want to face him early. Could this be his breakthrough slam? We shall see. Milos Rionic: Does not have good grass court success but with a serve like that he can be a dangerous opponent against anybody. Gulbis: can beat anybody on his day and with the experience he gained from the French Open he can cause some real destruction. Wawrinka, Berdych: Can run deep but I don't see them winning the whole thing.

Wimbledon early odds: Novak 7/4 Murray 3/1 Nadal 9/2 Federer 6/1 Dimitrov and Wawrinka 20/1 Guys like Raonic, Nishikori, Gulbis, Berdych and Tsonga are between 33 and 66. Here is why I think this is the case. Firstly Nadal is down on the list, 2 years early exit in Wimbledon, he really can't handle the low bounce. The pace is ok for him, but the low bounce means unlike clay, he gets bossed and not vice versa. If he gets to the 2nd week, I think he becomes joint favourite. Murray, would be clear favourite if not for the injury and the recent mauling from Nadal. If he ends up in Nadal's half and faces him in the QF or Semis, he's already have way to a defeat. However take out Nadal and if he gets to anywhere near peak form, I'd make him clear favourite. Federer, old but this is the easiest surface for him, his skills with the racquet and at the net are second to none but difficult to see him go all the way without a lot of things going his way. In RG he had a joke of a draw, as easy as they come and the first decent player he came across he was beaten. To win here, needs luck, has to avoid Nadal and Murray as well. I can see him winning this with luck, but not without. Novak, what can you say about this man. Probably the most complete player the game has seen since peak Fed but is a mental midget. Should have beaten Nadal in last year's RG and USO, should have won the RG final if he was prepared to fight. Gets to semis and finals easily enough but going to sleep halfway through a match for 45 mins is costing him too much. You could say that he's due but you could also say he's mentally a broken man. Can he win? Of course, but it's all mental when it comes to Novak. The others, Wawrinka is a joke really, not in the calibre of the top 4 and laughed off the miserable RG loss in 1R. He may surprise a few, but his inability to dig deep means once he's behind it's difficult to see him win. Gulbis, poor on grass but can only improve. Should be trouble for any of the top guys, but the top guys should be able to pick him off by barraging his forehand. Berdych is 28, his best days are behind him. Tsonga is a shadow of his former self. The young guns promise much, but have shown so far this year, in a best of 5, they haven't got the toughness or the fitness to take on the top guys. Of them, Dimitrov is the one most equipped to trouble on grass because of his light footwork, but poor fitness means he's not ready yet. He barely got passed Feliciano Lopez last week, so I doubt he'll get past Federer or Murray. The odds put Novak on top, purely because he's the most consistent in slams and has been for 4 years. But I would put it as follows: Murray 40% - Drops if he could face Nadal. Fed 25% Nadal 10% - Goes up to 30% if he gets to week 2. Djokovic 10% - A mentally broken man. 15% - Split between the rest with Gulbis and Dimitrov having the best chances.

I watched the Queens final between Dimitrov and Lopez. I was highly impressed by Dimitrov's performance. Until then I was under the impression that he was not a serious contender for slams but now it seems to be that he can really do some damage on grass. He is 23, so he is not a kid anymore. I do think that this Wimbledon could be the opportunity to establish himself.

Official seeds are out: Gentlemen’s Singles DJOKOVIC, Novak (SRB) [1] NADAL, Rafael (ESP) [2] MURRAY, Andy (GBR) [3] FEDERER, Roger (SUI) [4] WAWRINKA, Stan (SUI) [5] BERDYCH, Tomas (CZE) [6] FERRER, David (ESP) [7] RAONIC, Milos (CAN) [8] ISNER, John (USA) [9] NISHIKORI, Kei (JPN) [10] DIMITROV, Grigor (BUL) [11] GULBIS, Ernests (LAT) [12] GASQUET, Richard (FRA) [13] TSONGA, Jo-Wilfried (FRA) [14] JANOWICZ, Jerzy (POL) [15] FOGNINI, Fabio (ITA) [16] YOUZHNY, Mikhail (RUS) [17] VERDASCO, Fernando (ESP) [18] LOPEZ, Feliciano (ESP) [19] ANDERSON, Kevin (RSA) [20] DOLGOPOLOV, Alexandr (UKR) [21] KOHLSCHREIBER, Philipp (GER) [22] ROBREDO, Tommy (ESP) [23] MONFILS, Gael (FRA) [24] ALMAGRO, Nicolas (ESP) [25] SEPPI, Andreas (ITA) [26] CILIC, Marin (CRO) [27] BAUTISTA AGUT, Roberto (ESP) [28] GARCIA-LOPEZ, Guillermo (ESP) [29] KARLOVIC, Ivo (CRO) [30] GRANOLLERS, Marcel (ESP) [31] TURSUNOV, Dmitry (RUS) [32] http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2014-06-18/seeds_announced_for_the_championships_2014.html

Rafa to win #15. Suck on it' date=' haters.[/quote'] There are only two lowlife haters here. Everyone else is just fine. But it will be very difficult for Nadal to win this. He hasn't played on grass properly for 2 years. If you include 2012 when he only played 3-4 matches it's actually 3 years. It's not easy to start playing well on grass without any match practice. He is in real danger of going out early again, so it depends a lot on his early draws. He could really use an easy one here.

There are only two lowlife haters here. Everyone else is just fine. But it will be very difficult for Nadal to win this. He hasn't played on grass properly for 2 years. If you include 2012 when he only played 3-4 matches it's actually 3 years. It's not easy to start playing well on grass without any match practice. He is in real danger of going out early again' date=' so it depends a lot on his early draws. He could really use an easy one here.[/quote'] If he can avoid the big servers over the first week, he'll win. Last 2 times, he ran into players who happened to play the match of their lives. It looked worse because it happened in the first round.

Draw is out: [1]Djokovic v Golubev Stepanek v Cuevas Kravchuk v Simon Haase v [31]Pospisil [17]Youzhny v Ward Wang v Gonzalez Klahn v Querrey Melzer v [14]Tsonga --------------------- [12]Gulbis v Zopp Stakhovsky v Berlocq Chardy v Cox Matosevic v [18]Verdasco [26]Cilic v Mathieu Haider-Maurer v Edmund Tomic v Donskoy Hanescu v [6]Berdych ============= [3]Murray v Goffin Andujar v Rola Kamke v Hernych Johnson v [27]Bautista-Agut [20]Anderson v Bedene Volandri v Roger-Vasselin Gabashvili v Puetz Kuznetsov v [16]Fognini --------------------- [11]Dimitrov v Harrison Saville v Thiem Young v Becker Groth v [21]Dolgopolov [25]Seppi v Mayer Brown v Baghdatis An.Kuznetsov v Evans Carreno-Busta v [7]Ferrer ============= [5]Wawrinka v Sousa Lu v Nedovyesov Russell v Reister Istomin v [32]Tursunov [19]Lopez v Sugita Falla v Pavic Nieminen v Delbonis Smethurst v [9]Isner --------------------- [15]Janowicz v Devvarman Hewitt v Przysiezny Riba v Mannarino Lacko v [23]Robredo [30]Granollers v Mahut Gimeno-Traver v Giraldo Muller v Benneteau Lorenzi v [4]Federer ============= [8]Raonic v Ebden Herbert v Sock Kubot v Struff Lajovic v [29]Garcia-Lopez [22]Kohlschreiber v Sijsling Ito v Bolelli Ilhan v Kudla De Schepper v [10]Nishikori --------------------- [13]Gasquet v Duckworth Kyrgios v Robert Vesely v Estrella Burgos Jaziri v [24]Monfils [29]Karlovic v Dancevic Sela v Kukushkin Paire v Rosol Klizan v [2]Nadal

On paper Novak has a tough draw, very tough if you ask me. Murray and Fed have easy draws in comparison and Nadal has a ify one. I don't think Rosol will beat Paire so, that rules out a Rosol vs Nadal rematch. But Nadal could have Klizan - Paire - Monfils - Raonic/Nishikori and that's not easy. Djokovic's section is tough to call that there could be any number of scenarios. The draw has worked out very nicely for Murray. Murray if fit should be the only top guy guaranteed a SF spot.

Extremely tough draw for Nadal. Klizan --- Rosol/Paire---Karlovic in the first three rounds, each of them has big serves and could be dangerous for him in the first week. For a change Djokovic has a tough one too. Stepanek in the second round could be really tricky. Federer has a relatively easy draw. Murray has a cakewalk till QF.

Extremely tough draw for Nadal. Klizan --- Rosol/Paire---Karlovic in the first three rounds, each of them has big serves and could be dangerous for him in the first week. For a change Djokovic has a tough one too. Stepanek in the second round could be really tricky. Federer has a relatively easy draw. Murray has a cakewalk till QF.
the fact that Nadal is hugely suspect in first week makes it doubly tough for Nadal. My guess is if Nadal survives first week then he would be playing final in Wimbledon.

Nadal's draw is not tricky because of the opponents. FFS use some common sense. Nadal's draw would be difficult if he was playing a 40 yr old Sampras and a 50 yr old Lendl. The reason why Nadal's draw seems tough is because he's been crap on grass for 2 years. Let's be honest, if Nadal had Golubev instead of Rosol and Stepanek instead of Klizan, you would say the same things. Novak's draw is actually a tough draw because of the quality of players and not his own performances on grass.

the fact that Nadal is hugely suspect in first week makes it doubly tough for Nadal. My guess is if Nadal survives first week then he would be playing final in Wimbledon.
His draw has some positives too. It is a very tough draw for him to get out from, in fact I am sure this is exactly the kind of draw he did not want, but if he manages to survive the first week he would be ready to face anyone.