Wimbledon 2014 - June 23rd to July 6th

zep1706

Had full confidence Fed will win this
There was nothing that Fed did which bothered Stan really. I was expecting Stan to struggle against slices but he did not. Stan's first serve speeds were 95-110 mph in the set 3 and 4, whereas usually it is 120-135 mph. That tells you the story.

There was nothing that Fed did which bothered Stan really. Stan's first serve speeds were 95-110 mph in the set 2 and 3' date=' whereas usually it is 120-135 mph. That tells you the story.[/quote'] Federer was listless and took the first set very casually,Stan is a bit like Gonzo,you need to let him tide over Eventually he will cook his shots. There's a reason Stan has hardly won anything at Wimbledon and there's also a reason for the H2H.Sure Wawrinka has improved and Fed deteriorated,but Feds grass game us still superior because of his serve,slice and ability to keep moving forward

Federer was listless and took the first set very casually,Stan is a bit like Gonzo,you need to let him tide over Eventually he will cook his shots. There's a reason Stan has hardly won anything at Wimbledon and there's also a reason for the H2H.Sure Wawrinka has improved and Fed deteriorated,but Feds grass game us still superior because of his serve,slice and ability to keep moving forward
That's the thing. Federer's game did not make Stan uncomfortable at any point which I was expecting before the match. He handled all those tricky slices and drop shots quite well. His main enemy in set 3 and 4 was his physical condition. The guy was just sluggish and rolling the serve in. There is nothing wrong in accepting the truth. Federer is a superior grass court player but he got a lucky break here, without any doubt. I am not saying Stan would have won but he would have made life really difficult for Federer.

That's the thing. Federer's game did not make Stan uncomfortable at any point which I was expecting before the match. He handled all those tricky slices and drop shots quite well. His main enemy in set 3 and 4 was his physical condition. The guy was just sluggish and rolling the serve in. There is nothing wrong in accepting the truth. Federer is a superior grass court player but he got a lucky break here' date=' without any doubt. I am not saying Stan would have won but he would have made life really difficult for Federer.[/quote'] Would haves don't matter

Waw certainly had the worst of the scheduling fiasco. Gotta feel for him. I see him overtaking Murray pretty soon...say a year or two. That said, Federer did not have it easy either. He had to play 2 games in 2 days and while we talk about how easy a draw he has had vis a vis say Djoker, we should also factor the scheduling into the equation. As regards the discussion, I think the better player won. Simple as. Could haves and would haves matter not. Not in tennis, not in sport and not in life in general. As aforementioned Federer also had it pretty tough in terms of scheduling and as Yoda mentioned, you can't be using fitness as a reason against a 33 year old who had to play 2 games in 2 days. I think Stan was a bit lazy yesterday, should have finished off that match earlier keeping the schedule in mind. Federer seemed to be thinking about the schedule for sure during his match yesterday. As players, Stan version 2 and this version of Federer are probably evenly matched everywhere. Federer the better tactician and Stan has a better backhand and more ground coverage perhaps (Father Time a factor no doubt). Wimbledon should take a look into this scheduling business, not fair on players who have to play 2-3 days in a row. Tradition should not prevail over common sense and fair play.

For a while today it seemed Djokovich and Federer would also be exiting and I was wondering when the last time was that none of the 4 were in the semis of a GS! Raonic vs Federer is looking more and more likely. Should be a tough game that. Djokovich should brush aside Dmitrov in 4 but you never know; he hasn't been his usual self this Wimby....or maybe his opponents have not let him be. Odds on a Raonic vs Dmitrov final? :p

For a while today it seemed Djokovich and Federer would also be exiting and I was wondering when the last time was that none of the 4 were in the semis of a GS! Raonic vs Federer is looking more and more likely. Should be a tough game that. Djokovich should brush aside Dmitrov in 4 but you never know; he hasn't been his usual self this Wimby....or maybe his opponents have not let him be. Odds on a Raonic vs Dmitrov final? :p
2004 French Open for a GS and 2002 for Wimbledon - saw on twitter.