Wimbledon 2014 - June 23rd to July 6th

zep1706

Would haves don't matter
You are talking as if Federer is unbeatable on grass. He has lost 3 times here in the last 4 years to players against whom he was expected to win and came very close of losing twice (Falla and Benneteau). The way Stan was playing in the first 2 sets, it would have been awfully tougher for him. I don't see why it is so difficult to accept that. No one is saying here that Federer is lucky to win. He is capable of beating anybody on grass, we all know that. But today he did get a lucky break, he would have had to work a lit harder otherwise.

You are talking as if Federer is unbeatable on grass. He has lost 3 times here in the last 4 years to players against whom he was expected to win and came very close of losing twice (Falla and Benneteau). The way Stan was playing in the first 2 sets' date=' it would have been awfully tougher for him. I don't see why it is so difficult to accept that. No one is saying here that Federer is lucky to win. He is capable of beating anybody on grass, we all know that. But today he did get a lucky break, he would have had to work a lit harder otherwise.[/quote'] I have not said that at all,in fact am tipping Djokovic for the title But history ,H2H,playing style,temperament and a sense of occasion made me very confident about Federers ability to beat Stan .

People keep saying Stan has the best backhand. Based on what ? His slightly superior backhand ground stroke speed and range ? That is not all there is to a backhand. Fed has the best ever single handed backhand by a country mile. Reason ? He has the most COMPLETE AND COMPETETIVE SHB ever. Stan does not slice nearly as much or as well as Federer. Can Federer rip winners with his SHB 95% as good as Stan ? yes. Can Federer do backhand drop shot ? Yes. Backhand smash ? Yes. Backhand half volley from the baseline- well only he can with frequencies of once a tournament (everyone else either cant play that shot period or play it once a year!) Therefore, Federer has the best SHb.

I thought I made it clear that I was talking about this Federer vs this Stan. Over the years obviously Federer's backhand has been impeccable (has to be for a bloke to be able to win 17 slams); that is not in question at all. As at this point in time however, Federer's backhanded is possibly his biggest weakness along with his ailing body. An overwhelmingly large proportion of his unforced errors tend to be backhand ones. Even today he started off with 3 backhand errors in a row. I really do not see how you could possibly argue otherwise. His backhand is still good, I am not disputing that; but it is something of a vantage point for his opponents and something that has been exploited time and again by players in recent years (most often by Nadal).

On an unrelated note, just read that Nadal's parents had separated a few years ago. I did not have a clue. To be able to cope with that and still play on and smash all and sundry is incredible. Moreover, he is agnostic. Officially, my second favourite tennis player now :)

So Goran Ivanisevic almost in the same age group is playing senior Tennis where as Paes is still playing competitive doubles :blink: Must be really easy to play doubles comparitively or is the average prize money for doubles less than say an invitational game like the one seniors play every wimbledon? Even a 50 year old Martina made a comeback to competitive doubles a few years back....Anyways good for Paes

So Goran Ivanisevic almost in the same age group is playing senior Tennis where as Paes is still playing competitive doubles :blink: Must be really easy to play doubles comparitively or is the average prize money for doubles less than say an invitational game like the one seniors play every wimbledon? Even a 50 year old Martina made a comeback to competitive doubles a few years back....Anyways good for Paes
Doubles may be easier from a stamina/physical ability standpoint. But, it also takes a specific skill-set - court awareness, understanding and team-work; not all great singles players can be good doubles players. At any rate, there is no singles invitational at Wimbledon. For doubles invitational, the winner's prize money is GBP 21,000 per pair. For regular gentleman's doubles, it is GBP 325000 per pair. I think Goran is just not good enough anymore to play competitive doubles :-)!!

Doubles may be easier from a stamina/physical ability standpoint. But, it also takes a specific skill-set - court awareness, understanding and team-work; not all great singles players can be good doubles players. At any rate, there is no singles invitational at Wimbledon. For doubles invitational, the winner's prize money is GBP 21,000 per pair. For regular gentleman's doubles, it is GBP 325000 per pair. I think Goran is just not good enough anymore to play competitive doubles :-)!!
Doubles need very good hand eye coordination as it involves a lot of net play, often second and third volleys. Leander is a natural volleyer, in fact one of the very best I have seen but it is incredible that he has been able to maintain that high level at this age. Hats off to him. :hatsoff:

What a terrible match, Djokovic somehow found a way to win this with the help of a mot of chokes from Dimitrov. If Federer wins today he would be the clear favorite against Djokovic. Djokovic can't handle variety on grass.