Wimbledon 2014 - June 23rd to July 6th

zep1706

I am surprised that people are suggesting that huge serve essentially means "serve and volley" game. Where were Volley game in yesterday's match? We saw how good Kyrgios was putting away in 2 of the easiest of the volleys. I like nuances of Grass Court tennis, but sadly sometime grass court tennis gets converted in "see how fast I can serve". That's where I have issues.

so far it's been toughest for Novak and easiest for Federer. Nada had it quite tough' date=' Murray is another with an easy draw.[/quote'] Djokovic has had a tough draw but he has played players that he knows everything about and he has upper hand over all of them. Stepanek, Simon, Tsonga are tough R2, R3, R4 draws but those are guys that he has beaten many times in the past, so he knows exactly how to beat them and has upper hand over mentally. That is a huge advantage, especially on grass where things happpen fast. I would say that Nadal's draw was tougher, especially for his style of play. He would have liked to swap it with Novak's draw any day. Because he knows exactly what to expect from them and how to beat them. Kyrigos was a different story all together. For example Nadal would have loved to see Gasquet or Monfils instead of Kyrigos in the last match even though they are top players.

Variety is okay. But what happens on grass, things become one-dimensional like yesterdays match. You want a tennis game to be a competition between 2 players, not what one person alone can do. You get gun server, put him on a grass court and ask him to target T point or corner point on wide side. You don't need a second player. You can win game after game without involvement of other player. I am just wondering, how and why this rule of allowing 2 chances to do a proper serve was introduced? Why should there be a second chance if you failed to complete a serve in one chance. This rule and Wimbledon like surfaces through away balance from the game.
That way even clay court matches can become boring with the constant long rallies. The fact that most of the clay courtiers haven't really been able to win anything outside clay shows that it's pretty one dimensional. It's an art of scraping through. Similarly grass court is another kind of test for a tennis player. This is where serve and volleying is most useful I guess but sadly you don't get it often enough now. And what you are talking about serves, doesn't happen that way. How many guys do you see doing this set after set, match after match right through the whole torunament?

I am surprised that people are suggesting that huge serve essentially means "serve and volley" game. Where were Volley game in yesterday's match? We saw how good Kyrgios was putting away in 2 of the easiest of the volleys. I like nuances of Grass Court tennis, but sadly sometime grass court tennis gets converted in "see how fast I can serve". That's where I have issues.
Huge serve doesn't mean serve and volley. But on surfaces where the ball doesn't bounce much, you would want to meet it as early as possible and that's where volleying as an art comes through.

It was not all serve in the Nadal game. Kyrgios was playing sweet ground strokes as well including the crazy between the legs with back to the net for a winner. Aces are always part of the game at Wimbledon. For example Sampras used to ace his way out of trouble. However you never win with just firing aces. Regarding volleying, it seems to be a dying art. Gone are the days of Edberg and Becker where you would see Serve-and-Volley more often that not.

It was not all serve in the Nadal game. Kyrgios was playing sweet ground strokes as well including the crazy between the legs with back to the net for a winner. Aces are always part of the game at Wimbledon. For example Sampras used to ace his way out of trouble. However you never win with just firing aces.
I agree,he was matching Nadal on the ground game as well

Djokovic all about strong defense nowadays' date='rarely goes all attack like he used to couple of seasons back.pretty boring I must say[/quote'] He has always been so. Sometimes he plays offense sometimes pure defense. Last match against Tsonga he was playing really offensive tennis. Cilic will serve for the 3rd set.

Are Federer and Nadal fans trying to outdo when one another in terms of being biased? Federer's draw was definitely easier than a lot of other draws. I don't know how anyone can possibly deny that. As far as the whining about the grass courts is concerned, it still is the premier surface in all tennis. It doesn't matter how much someone whinges because their favourite players lost to teenagers on the surface, but it is what it is. Calling it one dimensional is utter stupidity; some people would call rallies after rallies with grunts on slow courts- where the ball bounces like it is on sponge-one dimensional, but hey to each his own eh. It is a rather disturbing trend with both Nadal and Federer fans(aside from a few exceptions of course). They seem to be giving the Afridi fans a run for their money and that makes me cringe! On a side note, Federer is not a certainty to win this at all still. Long, long way to go. As mentioned earlier, no one knows when 'FedError' will turn up. Still, the shock results like Nadal and Murray losing just goes to show how insane that consecutive QF/SF/Final appearances record that Fed holds across all Grand Slams is! Going to be an exciting final few days this. Most open tournament we have seen in a while with 2 of the big 4 out before the quarters.