Sign in to follow this  
King Tendulkar

All time football world 11, from 60s onwards

Based on 442 1 Banks (eng) 2 C Alberto (brz) 3 Breitner (ger) 4 Baresi (ita) 5 Beckenbauer (ger) 6 Matthaus (ger) 7 Garrincha (brz) 8 Messi (arg) 9 Maradona (arg) 10 Pele (brz) 11 Romario (brz) subs Yashin (rus) Passeralla (arg) Maldini (ita) Di Stefano (Arg) Gerson (Brz) Cryuff (holland) Platini (fr) Rivaldo (brz) Ronaldo (brz)

--------------------Oliver Khan-------------------------- Lahm-----Ferdinand---------Nesta----------Roberto Carlos --------------------Roy Keane------------------------------ ------------Zidane-----------------Ronaldinho------------ Messi--------------------------------------------Cristiano Ronaldo ---------------------Fat Ronaldo--------------------- Bench: Xavi Iniesta Courtois Lucio Rivaldo Robben Maradona Gerd Muller Yaya Toure Gareth Bale Vidic Cannavaro That would be my 23 man squad :orderorder:

Gerd Muller has 68 goals in 62 appearances for Germany :hatsoff: Scored 10 goals in 1 world cup, scored 4 in the 2nd which Germany won. 14 goals in 2 world cups :hatsoff: But I have seen and like fat Ronaldo better, had he not been injured for 3 years he would have scored even more in 2002. Xavi, Iniesta in their prime made Spain and Barca unbeatable :hatsoff: But tiki taka is a bit boring, so I have them on the bench ready to come on if change of style is needed.

Ray Clemence (GK) Phil Neal (RB) Alan Hansen (CB) Baresi (CB) Paolo Maldini (LB) Zidane (CM) Graeme Souness (CM & Captain) Steven Gerrard (CM) Messi (RF) Original Ronaldo (ST) Luis Suarez (LF) Billy Liddell (Super Sub)

IMO, while one can argue over Pele or Maradona (and maybe eventually, messi) as being the best attacking footballer ever, one thing is for certain IMO: in terms of a purely goal-scoring and striking capability, there is no one comparable to the El Phenomeno, the one and only, original Ronaldo. He had it all. Explosive speed, crazy good footwork to practically out-dribble anyone and most 2-man markings, excellent header and above all, the best allround shot in soccer. A cannon from outside, as well as high angle finesse like no one else from close range. And even though people remember his fat 2006 version the most, Ronaldo from 95 to 2001 or so was a beast- he was so bloody strong and muscular ( due to his squat frame) that he would simply run through defenders and even pulling like hell on his shirt while he is running doesnt seem to faze him one bit. And to pair him, IMO, is none other than Romario- probably one of the best underrated strikers ever,simply because he was not an amazing dribbler or a cannon shot. But he was the Miroslav Klose with better finish & control: the perfect opportunistic scorer due to his extreme foot speed and foot skill at close range.

IMO' date=' while one can argue over Pele or Maradona (and maybe eventually, messi) as being the best attacking footballer ever, one thing is for certain IMO: in terms of a purely goal-scoring and striking capability, there is no one comparable to the El Phenomeno[b'], the one and only, original Ronaldo.
This Ronaldo :hmmm: ronaldo.jpg

Big LOL at all people excluding Cristiano. Guy has led teams to 2 champions leagues, big time scorer and unlike many other legends (fat ron, ronaldinho etc) has maintained a high level for a long time. Physically the goat, a very exciting player. I think many people just dislike/hate him for things not even related to football :headshake: Haters gonna hate. C Ron is the GOAT. What consistency this champions league, 17 goals, record. :hatsoff:

^Messi over C. Ronaldo any day.
Everyone has their preference, but I love watching Ronaldo play. Alot more exciting especially because of his explosiveness, powerful long shots, knuckle ball free kicks, huge vertical jump comparable to NBA, sprinters speed, quite different to Messi's finesse (he's fast too though). Another thing which makes him exciting is he can score in every way including headers, one of the best free kick taken to goal scored ratio's in recent times and is equally good with both feet. He scores heaps with his left.

Gerd Muller has 68 goals in 62 appearances for Germany :hatsoff: Scored 10 goals in 1 world cup, scored 4 in the 2nd which Germany won. 14 goals in 2 world cups :hatsoff: But I have seen and like fat Ronaldo better, had he not been injured for 3 years he would have scored even more in 2002. Xavi, Iniesta in their prime made Spain and Barca unbeatable :hatsoff: But tiki taka is a bit boring, so I have them on the bench ready to come on if change of style is needed.
muller was unbelivable striker, pure goal machine

Buffon Cafu , Baresi, Beckenbauer, Carlos Matthaus, Cryuff Messi, Maradona, Garrinch Pele
Is it the best world cup x1?or the general best? I'd replace mathaus with iniesta,garrincha with zidane.surely eusobio and fat Ronaldo deserves a mention.I'd also replace buffon with Kahn

Big LOL at all people excluding Cristiano. Guy has led teams to 2 champions leagues, big time scorer and unlike many other legends (fat ron, ronaldinho etc) has maintained a high level for a long time. Physically the goat, a very exciting player. I think many people just dislike/hate him for things not even related to football :headshake: Haters gonna hate. C Ron is the GOAT. What consistency this champions league, 17 goals, record. :hatsoff:
No he is not a GOAT and this is coming from a mufc supporter

Is it the best world cup x1?or the general best? I'd replace mathaus with iniesta,garrincha with zidane.surely eusobio and fat Ronaldo deserves a mention.I'd also replace buffon with Kahn
General best- dont think Messi would get in a World Cup XI... Matheuas there as a 'holding midfielder' of sorts, otherwise the team dosent have one. yeah Zidane in for Garrincha is probably right

IMO, while one can argue over Pele or Maradona (and maybe eventually, messi) as being the best attacking footballer ever, one thing is for certain IMO: in terms of a purely goal-scoring and striking capability, there is no one comparable to the El Phenomeno, the one and only, original Ronaldo. He had it all. Explosive speed, crazy good footwork to practically out-dribble anyone and most 2-man markings, excellent header and above all, the best allround shot in soccer. A cannon from outside, as well as high angle finesse like no one else from close range. And even though people remember his fat 2006 version the most, Ronaldo from 95 to 2001 or so was a beast- he was so bloody strong and muscular ( due to his squat frame) that he would simply run through defenders and even pulling like hell on his shirt while he is running doesnt seem to faze him one bit. And to pair him, IMO, is none other than Romario- probably one of the best underrated strikers ever,simply because he was not an amazing dribbler or a cannon shot. But he was the Miroslav Klose with better finish & control: the perfect opportunistic scorer due to his extreme foot speed and foot skill at close range.
This Ronaldo :hmmm: ronaldo.jpg
Yes. He has to be first pick as striker. Regarded as best ever footballer (not just striker!) by many experts. Here is what Zidane has to say on - who is the greatest in his opinion. (not like, what do you think of Ronaldo) [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tea20qaiYl4[/ame] A short documentary on 'El Fenomeno'. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mplvvNVG-sQ]Football's Greatest - Ronaldo - YouTube[/ame]

The two greatest qualities of Ronaldo was his presence of mind and the fact that he was equally good with both the feet, so he did not have to rely on one side. He could read the game better than most players and therefore could score with ease. Many times he used to shoot way before the goalkeeper had anticipated, he made goal scoring look easy. The best striker I have seen.

In 98 WC' date=' I was a kid but still pretty keen about football as we used to play in school, still remember, I wanted Ronaldo to do well but he fell ill. whole episode was dramatic. Zidane helped France win.[/quote'] I started watching football with the 2002 WC and the two things that stand out from that WC for me are the magical performance of the 4Rs (Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and Roberto Carlos) and the goalkeeping by Kahn.

I started watching football with the 2002 WC and the two things that stand out from that WC for me are the magical performance of the 4Rs (Ronaldo' date=' Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and Roberto Carlos) and the goalkeeping by Kahn.[/quote'] That Ronaldo was not near his previous self, due to coming out of injury. Still managed to be top scorer and then all time highest (WC ) by the end of 2006.

General best- dont think Messi would get in a World Cup XI... Matheuas there as a 'holding midfielder' of sorts, otherwise the team dosent have one. yeah Zidane in for Garrincha is probably right
Garrincha was instrumental in Brazil winning 2 world cup finals. In 62 he was amazing and in 58. In fact best player in 62 world cup. Ziddane never dominated world cups and a final like he has Could swerve past players either way with electric pace, the deformed leg seemed to help him Ask any Brazilian and he would be in there top 2 players ever, many would rank him number 1 over Pele

Love romario! Awesome in 94 world cup, player of the tournament over baggio imo. Low centre of gravity, pace and deadly sublime finisher If zagallo had actually picked him for 98 world cup, instead of picking teachers pet bebeto. Then brazil could have left Ronaldo out of final and not been weakened

I haven't seen many players of yesteryear. Okay there are few obvious cases like Pele' date=' Beckenbaur. How about Maldini as defender.[/quote'] Yes fantastic pro. Solid left back who could also play centre back. Would he offer as much as others going forward though? Defensivley impeccable

m8bZhNBQktQ Also surprised that the insanely talented Ronaldinho doesn't figure on any list 1Arb7XPG-jw

Romario was magnificent. I disagree, fantastic dribbler, sublime player. Zagaloo screwed up in 98 not picking romario, him and Ronaldo in combo like they were leading up to wc would have been amazing. Still remember teary eyed romario when zagallo did not pick him and went for oap over the hill and inferior any way bebeto.

Messi is already the best player ever in my view. Compare his club record with Maradona etc' date=' its shockingly superior. Pele never actually played in Europe with top pros.[/quote'] Club records cannot b compared through the eras. For eg, if messi played in italy circa 95 to 05,he'd struggle to break 15 goals a season. Pele didnt play in europe but very few from south america did at his time, which means samerican clubs were as strong as euro clubs back then. Maradona and pele also got fouled much more brutally frequently than messi as fifa did not have .auto red card for cleats up contact as they do now Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2

Club records cannot b compared through the eras. For eg, if messi played in italy circa 95 to 05,he'd struggle to break 15 goals a season. Pele didnt play in europe but very few from south america did at his time, which means samerican clubs were as strong as euro clubs back then. Maradona and pele also got fouled much more brutally frequently than messi as fifa did not have .auto red card for cleats up contact as they do now Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2
But club records can be compared for specific eras. Many players during Maradona's time were scoring at roughly the same rate as him. Take a look at someone like Platini. Both were classic #10's playing in Serie A at the same time. Platini's stats and record are very comparable to Maradona's. However what Messi is doing today is simply amazing for this era, only CR7 comes close to his accomplishments. So assuming that competition is as fierce today as it was back then Messi is clearly besting Maradona's club career. While you are right about the heavy fouling during Maradona's time, I think player fitness and defensive coaching philosophies are far more advanced today.

But club records can be compared for specific eras. Many players during Maradona's time were scoring at roughly the same rate as him. Take a look at someone like Platini. Both were classic #10's playing in Serie A at the same time. Platini's stats and record are very comparable to Maradona's. However what Messi is doing today is simply amazing for this era, only CR7 comes close to his accomplishments. So assuming that competition is as fierce today as it was back then Messi is clearly besting Maradona's club career. While you are right about the heavy fouling during Maradona's time, I think player fitness and defensive coaching philosophies are far more advanced today.
i dont think player fitness is much more advanced at all. Pele at his fittest played against and was fit enough as any top leaguer today. only difference is, longetivity factor has been increased a bit in soccer, from late 20s to 31 being the retirement age to now its sitting in the mid 30s for many. how good you are compared to your era is also a relative thing that has many variables present. a sachin tendulkar in an era of 2 laras and 2 Sehwgs would not have stood ou as much as a sangakkara in an era of 1 Steve Waugh and 2 Azharuddins. How much competetion you face directly is a hard benchmark to compare to. Maradona grew up in an era of skilled individual football ruling supreme. By his late career, it had evolved into modern team based positional football that minimized individual wizardry. So his era obviously, had a greater number of individual maestros to compete with. In an era where team play is the king, the guy with individual carry potential obviously gets magnified because there are less of him around. its not really harder to play the individual maestro + team player style for the carry players these days, its just rarer due to coaching factors and thus, more eye catching. I also think that football in the earlier eras was of higher quality.( up to the early 2000s before a huge mergers & more creations of inter league soccer happened) These days, there are too many athletes who get gassed or are injured in a soccer tourney. its understandable, they do play 2x more matches these days. but it does lower the quality of the game. Used to be that injury time goals in soccer between two good teams were extremely rare, as players ran like hell to not fall behind or concede the lead with less than 5 minutes to play. now, late goals are increasingly more frequent as players run outta gas. thats a bit disheartening and frankly, compensates a lot more for lower than maradona's figures.

But Platini was magnificicent. At the time Platini and maradona were like Ronaldo and messi. Leading up to 86 world cup they were both seen as best 2 in the world and there was genuine debate as to who was best. After 86 world cup maradona took the plaudits and became best ever. So comparing him to platini is no disgrace. Platini was fantastic player and superior to Ziddane. As again Platini could do something Ziddane never could, score lots of goals

Player fitness is well advanced today than it was even a decade ago, not to mention the 80s when Platini and Maradona played. Players now run way more than they did back then. They getr tired at the end because they are competing against other top professionals not players from the 80s. Also the game is more competitive today than before. More players/countries play soccer seriously today than they ever did before. Clubs are more efficient in moving superior talent up the ranks, players are bigger faster and stronger in general. Coaches use advanced stats, scouting video reports etc in way more detail than they ever had access to 30 years ago. So if you think Platini is comparable to Maradona then why not include him in your best ever consideration instead of limiting it to Pele and maradona?