Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

32 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Naah, I dont agree with you about the shorter stuff. Maybe you mean the good length is a bit shorter abroad. ANyway, why dont you switch on ur tv and watch this Fergusson kid from NZ.

you bowl full where ball swings. ball does not swing in SA.  in SA, it is all seam movement and to achieve that, you will have to hit the deck and if you ball full you float the ball especially our bowlers who are shorter than likes of Rabada and Morkel. Even Philander when pitched up got driven easily by Dhawan. Both Shami and Bumrah made the same mistake.

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

you bowl full where ball swings. ball does not swing in SA.  in SA, it is all seam movement and to achieve that, you will have to hit the deck and if you ball full you float the ball especially our bowlers who are shorter than likes of Rabada and Morkel. Even Philander when pitched up got driven easily by Dhawan. Both Shami and Bumrah made the same mistake.

Thanks... But that's something I have been knowing for years. Read the whole comment. I meant Srinath used to bowl shorter throughout his career, including away matches and he suffered. I didnt specifically say SA.

Btw, even while bowling in bouncier pitches or not swinging conditions, you still need to bowl fuller and not shorter. Bowling shorter will ensure reducing your wickets!

57 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Thanks... But that's something I have been knowing for years. Read the whole comment. I meant Srinath used to bowl shorter throughout his career, including away matches and he suffered. I didnt specifically say SA.

Btw, even while bowling in bouncier pitches or not swinging conditions, you still need to bowl fuller and not shorter. Bowling shorter will ensure reducing your wickets!

but SA do not have bouncy conditions.  SA have seaming conditions with a bit of bounce, not like Australia where you can bowl bit fuller on some pitches, but still not half volley. Even Hazlewood does not bowl full in Aus. He stays in good length and just short of good length area.  Do you remember Adelaide test on our last tour, our bowlers bowled full and Warner made merry.  Both Shami and Bumrah served half volleys .  if you want to bowl full in SA then bowl wide outside off like Pandya did some times to tempt the batsmen to drive and get the edge. if you  bowl half volleys straight, you are bound to get driven for boundaries. 

Srinath's problem was he did not have an outswinger.  Predominant inswing bowlers will always struggle in test cricket. 

Edited by rkt.india
1 hour ago, Rightarmfast said:

Which is why Srinath averaged so good in South Africa but sucked in England. Just like batsmen need to adjust to different pitches, so do bowlers. On bouncier pitches even good length balls will go over the stumps. There cannot be one ball fuller, vs stay behind. 

3 hours ago, New guy said:

Which is why Srinath averaged so good in South Africa but sucked in England. Just like batsmen need to adjust to different pitches, so do bowlers. On bouncier pitches even good length balls will go over the stumps. There cannot be one ball fuller, vs stay behind. 

Not really. Srinath performed against South Africa in India too. South Africa was like Srinath's bunny team. The point is, you cant be bowling short, if you do you get hammered no matter where. Or you will be no balled. There's a difference better bowling fuller and bowling a half volley. As long as you don't bowl a half volley, you will do good. Thats what my knowledge over the years tells me.

31 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Not really. Srinath performed against South Africa in India too. South Africa was like Srinath's bunny team. The point is, you cant be bowling short, if you do you get hammered no matter where. Or you will be no balled. There's a difference better bowling fuller and bowling a half volley. As long as you don't bowl a half volley, you will do good. Thats what my knowledge over the years tells me.

For me full means half volley.  Good length is nether full nor short. it is in between length caller corridor of uncertainty.

30 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

For me full means half volley.  Good length is nether full nor short. it is in between length caller corridor of uncertainty.

I agrrr with you wrt good length. However corridor of uncertainty refers to the line of the ball and not length

11 minutes ago, New guy said:

I agrrr with you wrt good length. However corridor of uncertainty refers to the line of the ball and not length

No, it refers more to length, not line. The length where batsman isn't sure whether to play back or forward is called corridor of uncertainty. Line can be outside off or on off stump, but it is the length that is more important. McGrath was a great exponent of it.  His lines varied from wide outside to off stump, but he kept attack that length called corridor of uncertainty.  by consistently bowling on off stump, he would suddenly lull batsmen into playing wider delivery of the same length and would get him caught behind. In Indian team, BK does hit that corridor of uncertainly the best. That Elgar and Amla wickets were result of that.

Edited by rkt.india

Steyn showing what ideal line and length is on any surface

Targeting the top of off stump ball after ball ..... good length is automatically found on any surface ..... won't be too full or too short.

Batsman misses .... bowled or LBW ..... batsman edges and chance of catch

Punctuate this with bouncers

Our pacers need to do the same

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Steyn showing what ideal line and length is on any surface

Targeting the top of off stump ball after ball ..... good length is automatically found on any surface ..... won't be too full or too short.

Batsman misses .... bowled or LBW ..... batsman edges and chance of catch

Punctuate this with bouncers

Our pacers need to do the same

They will... With time. This set of bowlers have it in them. But we should understand that yesterday they were playing on roads against srilanka, and today its South Africa. They are not even prepared properly. Give them time, and they will.