Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Most Indian pacers have.

I wonder why Shardul is bowling at his original pace even after spending so much time with Team India.

I felt Shardul has some potential but was trying a lot. This is also because he has been in an out of Indian side a lot and is trying too many things. Yesterday he tried too many slow bals, you could see his speed jumping from 127 to 137 a lot and then dropping back again to lower 120s

Slow ones should be surprise deliveries and not every third delivery. He needs to find more different deliveries to bowl instead of just relying on his slow one.

I think he has time to succeed in ODI’s not sure about the test matches actually.

3 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I felt Shardul has some potential but was trying a lot. This is also because he has been in an out of Indian side a lot and is trying too many things. Yesterday he tried too many slow bals, you could see his speed jumping from 127 to 137 a lot and then dropping back again to lower 120s

Slow ones should be surprise deliveries and not every third delivery. He needs to find more different deliveries to bowl instead of just relying on his slow one.

I think he has time to succeed in ODI’s not sure about the test matches actually.

Shardul is more of a test bowler as he can bowl channel stuff with a beautiful outswingers but even there his stamina to sustain pace is a huge question mark.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Shardul is more of a test bowler as he can bowl channel stuff with a beautiful outswingers but even there his stamina to sustain pace is a huge question mark.

Doesn’t matter if he can bowl channel stuff, he has stamina for now as an ODI bowler more than test bowler.

Channel stuff can work perfect with his variations in ODI’s. He has variation like the slow ball but just does too much. Need to be more accurate and that he can only get if he plays few games consecutively for India instead of sitting out.

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Yes ... Khejroliya is around 6'2", bowls a heavy ball, has a good yorker and slower ball and is picking wickets for fun in the shorter formats.  Would be a tough bowler to negotiate.

Waiting for the time when Saini and Khaleel will be tried.

Most amazing this is how the pool has been generated in just 2 years.  Barinder Sran was picked for Australia odi tour in early 2016 and now he is probably not even in the top 5 backup choices. What has been the reason? Manju was saying yesterday that the decision to have fast bowling pitches in Ranjis few years back is the reason.

7 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

Most amazing this is how the pool has been generated in just 2 years.  Barinder Sran was picked for Australia odi tour in early 2016 and now he is probably not even in the top 5 backup choices. What has been the reason? Manju was saying yesterday that the decision to have fast bowling pitches in Ranjis few years back is the reason.

Sran was injured and had a fracture in his right foot and hence was sidelined. He was on tour to Australia for the A side and  had to return home because of his injury then.

3 hours ago, Vk1 said:

There are many many reasons, most of which we had been discussing in another thread.

...  India's tremendous economic development  

...  much improved cricketing infrastructure and personal confidence as a result

...  gym and fitness culture setting in

...  NCA and top quality support staff

...  Kohli's love for quick bowling as a captain

...  picking players from all over India, as opposed to a few places

...  regular usage of speed-guns have given a quantifiable target to be achieved, bowling 140 k + 

...  Srinath, Umesh, Aaron, Shami etc. making young Indian pacers beleive that Indians too can bowl quick for many years.

...  better domestic pitches

...  young pacers learning from international coaches and players in the IPL

...  IPL making cricket  a viable career to a much larger number of people.

All these have lead to fast bowling culture setting in in India, which is bearing more and more fruits as the days go by.  All young Indian pacers want to bowl 140 k+ and hit the deck hard these days.

Edited by express bowling
11 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

Remember the days when Venky was partnering Srinath with his 120k thunderbolts. And god forbid if either of them were unavailable, we had Dodda G and David J (and Kuruvilla and Mohanty and Avishkar Salvi...) running in with comical aggression. It's a miracle we could still provide a semblance of competition overseas.

And we had trundler-kings  Madan, Binny, Sandhu, Chetan partnering Kapil in the early and mid-'80s.    I remember that people were excited to see Kuruvilla and co. bowl after the Madan, Binny experience.  :phehe:   Indeed, we have come a long way from those days.

Edited by express bowling
4 hours ago, rkt.india said:

And Khejroliya too. He has really been doing well in VH trophy. I would first try Saini and Khaleel. I am inclined more towards Khaleel. He has all variations for LOI cricket and good temperament too.

khaleel seems international material as he has genuine Pace ...khejroliya seems Priority 2 , even sanghwan is good but Khaleel was even better than aniket chowdhary and sanghwan as khaleel bowled few balls in 146 to 148k range on indian flat tracks and had the slow ball variations which even unadkat will feel proud of but the variation was 147k to 118K with similiar actions....i think khaleel is very good , whether he is ready or not , we will come to know in this IPL. khaleel's physique is kinda similiar to bumrah, slim and flexible.

avesh khan is serious talent but whether is ready for international cricket or not ..not sure.

Saini has got into notice as he was flown along with shardul specially , i was wondering if saini may be included ahead of injured Shammi in odi team but shammi was declared fit ans saini flown back. it seems saini may get a chance to fly to england- lets see.

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Shardul has been with Team India for almost 20 months now.

Has played just 3 ODIs in this period.

Looks like the Team management has not been that impressed by him ... if they were then he would have played much more.

But, he is still the backup,  new backups haven't been introduced  in tests and ODIs.

He was injured in between.

3 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Sran was injured and had a fracture in his right foot and hence was sidelined. He was on tour to Australia for the A side and  had to return home because of his injury then.

Maybe but there are quite a few options now even for left arm fast variety. Amazing how things have changed in just two years.  

3 hours ago, sarchasm said:

I remember the hype when Kuruvilla was selected for West Indies tour. His physique was described as similar to West Indians themselves. Tinu Yohannan was another such.

Tinu yohannan . Just shows how crap our seamers were . First time I saw him play was so exited thinking might have someone Bowl 84 mph . Literally we were like thirsty man in a desert seeing a puddle 

this is why we admired pak pacers and they laughed at us . No wonder they mentally cant cope with us having faster and better bowlers now , not just one or 2 but in many numbers 

Edited by King Tendulkar
16 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Tinu yohannan . Just shows how crap our seamers were . First time I saw him play was so exited thinking might have someone Bowl 84 mph . Literally we were like thirsty man in a desert seeing a puddle 

this is why we admired pak pacers and they laughed at us . No wonder they mentally cant cope with us having faster and better bowlers now , not just one or 2 but in many numbers 

yes, yohannan had a great physique and looked like he should be bowling in high 80s (mph) and not a trundler. instead, he came along and trundled away merrily.

4 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Where did you see that exactly?

Isn't it visible. It is a widely known fact. I am following shardul since his Ranji debut. He used be quite bulkier than now, bowl 127-133, was found in a Pace hunt. He then later worked on losing weight. He did lose 10 plus kilo but still was not up to the mark visibly. Not lean enough to be a fast bowler. He has the kind of body where he gains weight quickly like Robin Uthappa also had same issue or like me if i stray from diet, too gain quickly even if i am working out.

Edited by rkt.india
36 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Isn't it visible. It is a widely known fact. I am following shardul since his Ranji debut. He used be quite bulkier than now, bowl 127-133, was found in a Pace hunt. He then later worked on losing weight. He did lose 10 plus kilo but still was not up to the mark visibly. Not lean enough to be a fast bowler. He has the kind of body where he gains weight quickly like Robin Uthappa also had same issue or like me if i stray from diet, too gain quickly even if i am working out.

Read somewhere Robin mentioning it's a rare metabolic disease and you have to be on treadmill everyday