Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

As India prepared for their second Test at Lord's, India's pacers bowled at full tilt in the net sessions. It was clear to see why they have been a constant threat. Umesh Yadav had Virat Kohli clean bowled with a beautiful outswinger, Jasprit Bumrah welcomed R Ashwin by wiping out the stumps off a short run-up, while Ishant Sharma constantly saw India's premier batsmen edge his deliveries. Even Shardul Thakur and Hardik Pandya enjoyed bowling with the Dukes ball.

9 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Having just checked the scorecard i see he picked following wickets:

1st innings - Bairstow

2nd innings- Sam Curran & Rashid.

he was only given ball after 40 overs in second innings when Curran and Rashid had a big partnership.

Edited by rkt.india
2 hours ago, Straight Drive said:

reduce pace for sake of better accuracy, and that's fine.

A pacer is usually most accurate when bowling in full rhythm and normal pace.  In case of Umesh, it is 135 k to 148 k range.  

Have rarely seen a pacer bowl more accurate at less than normal pace.

A pacer bowling slower is often the sign of lack of rhythm, lack of intensity, focus or motivation, carrying some niggle as you said, lack of fitness, issues with ball release or action etc.

32 minutes ago, express bowling said:

A pacer is usually most accurate when bowling in full rhythm and normal pace.  In case of Umesh, it is 135 k to 148 k range.  

A pacer bowling slower is often the sign of lack of rhythm, lack of intensity, focus or motivation, carrying some niggle as you said, lack of fitness, issues with ball release or action etc.

It could be due to multiple reasons. Niggle or intentional (self decision, captain asking him etc). Yes, Rhythm can be affected due to lack of concentration, niggle, lack of motivation etc. From whatever overs i have seen of his bowling in last 4 months, Umesh has been most accurate for consistently longer period of time than before imo.

52 minutes ago, express bowling said:

And that's where speed gun readings has its importance, it act as reality check, gives fair idea about the rhythm of a bowler... Agree with all your points.

16 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

It could be due to multiple reasons. Niggle or intentional (self decision, captain asking him etc). Yes, Rhythm can be affected due to lack of concentration, niggle, lack of motivation etc. From whatever overs i have seen of his bowling in last 4 months, Umesh has been most accurate for consistently longer period of time than before imo.

Umesh was  most accurate in his life  in the 5 tests in early 2017, against Bangladesh and Australia.   He was bowling 135 k to 149 k then.  And this combination of rhythm, pace, accuracy and reverse swing resulted in him picking lots of wickets.

After that, his rhythm, accuracy and pace all  deteriorated, especially from WI 2017 LOI series. He looked poor against SL 2018, both away and at home, and was dropped in SA 2018.

Umesh resurrected himself in the IPL 2018 ... his accuracy was good but so was his rhythm and pace.  He bowled 135 k to 146 k and occasionally up to 149 k.

He looked awful in the first inning of last test.  Again, accuracy was down and so was pace.  Bowled quicker  ( average speed 137 k ) in the 2nd innings and looked more accurate and better.

With him ... accuracy and pace usually come hand in hand  ( although he can or could bowl inaccurately at pace too )

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Umesh was  most accurate in his life  in the 5 tests in early 2017, against Bangladesh and Australia.   He was bowling 135 k to 149 k then.  And this combination of rhythm, pace, accuracy and reverse swing resulted in him picking lots of wickets.

After that, his rhythm, accuracy and pace all  deteriorated, especially from WI 2017 LOI series. He looked poor against SL 2018, both away and at home, and was dropped in SA 2018.

Umesh resurrected himself in the IPL 2018 ... his accuracy was good but so was his rhythm and pace.  He bowled 135 k to 146 k and occasionally up to 149 k.

He looked awful in the first inning of last test.  Again, accuracy was down and so was pace.  Bowled quicker  ( average speed 137 k ) in the 2nd innings and looked more accurate and better.

With him ... accuracy and pace usually come hand in hand  ( although he can or could bowl inaccurately at pace too )

I do not get to watch weekday matches unless and until they are evening stuff. Even i skip watching some sessions or all of weekend sessions due to some or other commitments. So i take your words on this. 

20 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

I do not get to watch weekday matches unless and until they are evening stuff. Even i skip watching some sessions or all of weekend sessions due to some or other commitments. So i take your words on this. 

You can check Umesh's performances, ( both wickets per match and ER ) and bowling speeds for every match that I mentioned from beginning 2017 ... on BCCI.tv and IPLT20.com, either app or website.

You will find this corelation of pace and performance for Umesh most of the time from beginning 2017.  Same with Md. Shami from mid 2016. And Bumrah is looking a really good test pacer at high pace too.  

When I miss day time matches, I try to watch just the fast bowlers' overs late in the evening on apps like Hotstar etc.  It is possible to scroll sideways and choose particular overs from the ball by ball videos.    : )

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

You can check Umesh's performances, ( both wickets per match and ER ) and bowling speeds for every match that I mentioned from beginning 2017 ... on BCCI.tv and IPLT20.com, either app or website.

You will find this corelation of pace and performance for Umesh most of the time from beginning 2017.  Same with Md. Shami from mid 2016. And Bumrah is looking a really good test pacer at high pace too.  

When I miss day time matches, I try to watch just the fast bowlers' overs late in the evening on apps like Hotstar etc.  It is possible to scroll sideways and choose particular overs from the ball by ball videos.    : )

Nah, when i say i take the words it means i am not interested in cross checking. If i wanted to cross check i wouldn't have written that. 

Never watch on laptop or mob. Kpep tab on scorecards though regularly when at work. Windies timing is great.Get to watch at least first two test sessions.Even the IPL- two whole matches. With England at least last two sessions viewing is possible.Indian home tests is the worst time schedule.Should be converted to day/nights.

8 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Amit Kulia looks very sharp in this video... and in whatever other instances I have seen him bowl.

Injury has robbed him of one full year.  Hope he comes back strongly this season.

he was not injured whole season.  They just did not pick even when he was fit and he was playing Bengal U23.