Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

22 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

sayan looks soft as well just like vignesh,so pace goes down,i remember chameera used to be very similar to sayan during slpl,ppl like sayan vignesh etc will be left in ranji setup so it is difficult to see them improve .

his pace was consistently good today.

Couple of good articles.

Srinath Pace : Already shared but just linking it.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/111878.html

Blog post on Speed gun rebuttal. Why speed gun readings are not the real pace the batsman feels. Has a few nice links in the post.

http://giffenman-miscellania.blogspot.ca/2014/01/the-speed-gun-myth.html

57 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Couple of good articles.

Blog post on Speed gun rebuttal. Why speed gun readings are not the real pace the batsman feels. Has a few nice links in the post.

Thanks for sharing.   Both articles are excellent reads although I have read them both earlier. 

The 2nd article has said that some bowlers seem faster than their release speeds  ( measured by speed guns )   because they force the batsmen to make late adjustments when the ball in not quite where they expect it to be ......... and  outlined 2 factors that lead to  that.    They are  ( a )   the ball hitting the bat slightly higher than expected  and  ( b )   the bowler having an unusual action that prevents the batsman from sighting the ball earlier

There are other factors as well and they include  ( c )   McGrath was saying in an interview that he used to put top-spin on the ball and got twice the revs than most pacers...which resulted in him getting the extra zip and bounce off the deck. He also outlined that swing bowlers often put underspin on the ball that takes away the zip and bounce off the deck.  Factor a)   could be due to factor c)   too and also due to other factors like height of a pacer or / and   hitting the deck hard    

Edited by express bowling
9 minutes ago, Bleed-Blue said:

I saw Rajpoot hit 141 kph once or twice.

Ok, in which match  ?    ....as I said in that post...these are the speeds that  I have seen....and I have watched most deliveries of the quicker bowlers.  

May have missed that particular delivery by Rajpoot     : )

30 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Ok, in which match  ?    ....as I said in that post...these are the speeds that  I have seen....and I have watched most deliveries of the quicker bowlers.  

May have missed that particular delivery by Rajpoot     : )

Yh no worries i think it was the match against east zone.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Thanks for sharing.   Both articles are excellent reads although I have read them both earlier. 

The 2nd article has said that some bowlers seem faster than their release speeds  ( measured by speed guns )   because they force the batsmen to make late adjustments when the ball in not quite where they expect it to be ......... and  outlined 2 factors that lead to  that.    They are  ( a )   the ball hitting the bat slightly higher than expected  and  ( b )   the bowler having an unusual action that prevents the batsman from sighting the ball earlier

There are other factors as well and they include  ( c )   McGrath was saying in an interview that he used to put top-spin on the ball and got twice the revs than most pacers...which resulted in him getting the extra zip and bounce off the deck. He also outlined that swing bowlers often put underspin on the ball that takes away the zip and bounce off the deck.  Factor a)   could be due to factor c)   too and also due to other factors like height of a pacer or / and   hitting the deck hard    

Pace bowler imparting top spin? Can you link me to the interview if you can. One aspect of top spin is to bowl it without varying the speed(in air) as against your normal under spin. I dont see how pacers can do that. Also interested in complete biomechanics(most importantly grip against normal grip to do that!)involved.

Edited by Pollack

It's good to see apart from our intl seamers like Shami,Umesh,Ishant,BK,Bumrah and Hardik we have some

decent back ups in Aaron,Shardul,Aniket,Sangwan and also some young upcoming bowlers in Thampi,Ankit,

Warrier etc.I'd like to see Shukla,Avesh,Suyal back in actions.All over the pace bowling standard in the country

is coming up.Heartening to see this...

8 hours ago, Vilander said:

Couple of good articles.

The same Eddie Smith I was talking about earlier. I connected to him in late 99, early 2000 and eversince we have been in good terms. When other Indians didnt rate Srinath, this Aussie guy has always maintained that Srinath was one of the fastest in the world.

He officially used to keep record of speeds for Cricket Australia, so his words have mettle.

A great guy!

7 hours ago, Pollack said:

Pace bowler imparting top spin? Can you link me to the interview if you can. One aspect of top spin is to bowl it without varying the speed(in air) as against your normal under spin. I dont see how pacers can do that. Also interested in complete biomechanics(most importantly grip against normal grip to do that!)involved.

It is an interview which comes on TV often in one of the Star Sports channels and McGrath's release is showcased in slow-motion too, where  his ring and little fingers roll over the ball at the time of release from his standard grip.  It became easier for him as he was a very tall bowler with a very high arm-action  and hit the deck at a very steep trajectory. It won't be easy for shorter bowlers or a bowler who has a release point which is not from the top.

33 minutes ago, express bowling said:

It is an interview which comes on TV often in one of the Star Sports channels and McGrath's release is showcased in slow-motion too, where  his ring and little fingers roll over the ball at the time of release from his standard grip.  It became easier for him as he was a very tall bowler with a very high arm-action  and hit the deck at a very steep trajectory. It won't be easy for shorter bowlers or a bowler who does not have a release point which is not from the top.

A tall bowler, but someone with a large palm can do that better I suppose.

3 hours ago, express bowling said:

It is an interview which comes on TV often in one of the Star Sports channels and McGrath's release is showcased in slow-motion too, where  his ring and little fingers roll over the ball at the time of release from his standard grip.  It became easier for him as he was a very tall bowler with a very high arm-action  and hit the deck at a very steep trajectory. It won't be easy for shorter bowlers or a bowler who has a release point which is not from the top.

Yes. His height and high arm release was also the reason for the nip he used to get of the pitch and hurried the batsman.