express bowling

Speed and performance of pacers and spinners in important matches

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

We will bowl with more intensity in tests. I will be very surprised if we don't.

Let's hope so. 

But letting the last match slip from 197/8 and failing to get wickets again in this match is really disappointing. I really doubt if Saini will get a break in the test matches even if Ishant stays injured. It will be Bumrah, Shami and Umesh with either Jadeja or Ashwin.

Prasidh starts the 2nd innings with an impressive 1st over.

Speed is up.  He is hurrying batsmen and ball is  flying through to the keeper.

Getting bounce and hitting the bat hard and high.

Was bowling good length channel balls right from ball one.

Finished the over with a well directed quick bouncer.

23 minutes ago, Vickydev said:

Great spell from Prasidh here, tremendous bounce he is generating of a length.

Prasidh is a special bowler ... very international type pacer.

He will be a great addition to the national side.

Edited by express bowling

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Prasidh took 2 wickets for just 7 runs from 6 overs in the first innings ... as Karnataka dismissed Baroda for just 85.

Bowled with pace, bounce, accuracy, outswing and seam movement both ways.

It was a good start after his comeback.

good stuff from prasidh, I can only watch highlights.

but it will be really difficult to break into national team. It's not 90's/00's that anyone with some promise can get in. The team already has some of the best indian pace bowlers of all time playing for it.

13 minutes ago, bhakum20 said:

but it will be really difficult to break into national team. It's not 90's/00's that anyone with some promise can get in. The team already has some of the best indian pace bowlers of all time playing for it.

Prasidh can and should debut via ODIs. This is his strongest format   ... and the easiest format for any young pacer to debut in.

We have 3 ODIs vs SA coming up after the test series vs NZ.

Rest Bumrah for this series. He needs it after this gruelling tour.

Play Prasidh, Shami and Saini as the 3 quicks.

21 hours ago, bhakum20 said:

If I may add to my earlier post ... most of our LOI bowlers are skiddy ones, apart from Bumrah who gets natural bounce along with skid off the pitch.

Someone like Prasidh, with his height and steep bounce at high pace, would add a different dimension to our attack. 

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

If I may add to my earlier post ... most of our LOI bowlers are skiddy ones, apart from Bumrah who gets natural bounce along with slid off the pitch.

Someone like Prasidh, with his height and steep bounce at high pace, would add a different dimension to our attack. 

i feel we need a left armer, will give much needed variety. After four away series with all right handed bowlers other teams are figuring BSI out. Too bad khaleel turned out to be a dud. Fast track mishra?

5 minutes ago, bhakum20 said:

i feel we need a left armer, will give much needed variety. After four away series with all right handed bowlers other teams are figuring BSI out. Too bad khaleel turned out to be a dud. Fast track mishra?

We don't have a quality left arm pacer.

I think we should focus on picking the best pacers ... and pick a left armer only if he is a quality pacer too.

15 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Looking at the bowling order and batting chances ... our bowlers will probably be Bumrah, Shami, Umesh and Ashwin 

The most conservative one based on seniority ... and as expected by many posters here 

But they can't drop Hanuma now, he will bat at 6.
7 batsmen+ 4 bowlers?

11 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Saini 2 for 46 at tea.

Bumrah and Shami get 2 wickets each too ... as we reduce NZ to 180 for 7.

Bro, live score on NZ cricket site is showing 3 wickets for Shami, 2 for Bumrah and 1 each for Umesh and Saini

https://scoring.nzc.nz/#m3cf20ecc-91e2-49f9-a60a-15d4ff957728

1 hour ago, SinNombre said:

Saini did take a wicket, but going at 4 rpo. 

What is he missing in red ball cricket?

2 wickets now.

Saini has a lot of pluses ... but has 1 major weakness which makes him expensive from time to time.

His good length balls, yorkers, just short of a length balls and proper short balls ... are all quick and dangerous.

But his full ball is very floaty and not sharp at all. Saini is a good seam bowler and reverse swing bowler. But when he pitches the ball up for conventional swing, he keeps bowling floaty half volleys. Someone should tell him not to do this 

Look at the length he is bowling in the video below. Almost all are good length seaming balls where he hits the deck.  And almost all his wickets are via this ball in FC, along with some surprise bouncers.

He should stop floating the ball up gently and bowl like he does above.

11 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Bro, live score on NZ cricket site is showing 3 wickets for Shami, 2 for Bumrah and 1 each for Umesh and Saini

https://scoring.nzc.nz/#m3cf20ecc-91e2-49f9-a60a-15d4ff957728

Bro, I got this from Cricbuzz.

Don't know which is right.

46 minutes ago, express bowling said:

2 wickets now.

Saini has a lot of pluses ... but has 1 major weakness which makes him expensive from time to time.

His good length balls, yorkers, just short of a length balls and proper short balls ... are all quick and dangerous.

But his full ball is very floaty and not sharp at all. Saini is a good seam bowler and reverse swing bowler. But when he pitches the ball up for conventional swing, he keeps bowling floaty half volleys. Someone should tell him not to do this 

Look at the length he is bowling in the video below. Almost all are good length seaming balls where he hits the deck.  And almost all his wickets are via this ball in FC, along with some surprise bouncers.

He should stop floating the ball up gently and bowl like he does above.

He does that to get the inswing. He can bowl big inswingers but when ball isn't swinging, it looks floaty. 

56 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

He does that to get the inswing. He can bowl big inswingers but when ball isn't swinging, it looks floaty. 

Good bowlers don't persist with attempts to swing when ball is not swinging.

They test out in the beginning and decide about their course of action accordingly. 

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Good bowlers don't persist with attempts to swing when ball is not swinging.

They test out in the beginning and decide about their course of action accordingly. 

I don't mind him going for wickets,if he develops a reputation of being a wicket taker then batsmen will be more cautious against him and even playout  some of those loose balls ,on the contrary he could become impatient if he doesn't pick wickets over a period of time.

He needs to develop two wicket taking "stock" balls, one against left and the other against right handers and try to replicate them  over and over again,till he gains more experience and find other ways to set up various batsmen.

8 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

I don't mind him going for wickets,if he develops a reputation of being a wicket taker then batsmen will be more cautious against him and even playout  some of those loose balls ,on the contrary he could become impatient if he doesn't pick wickets over a period of time.

He needs to develop two wicket taking "stock" balls, one against left and the other against right handers and try to replicate them  over and over again,till he gains more experience and find other ways to set up various batsmen.

Saini's floaty full ball is not a wicket taking one.

Which is why I posted the video above which showcases almost all his wickets in important matches in the last 30 months.

10 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Saini's floaty full ball is not a wicket taking one.

Which is why I posted the video above which showcases almost all his wickets in important matches in the last 30 months.

In Indian conditions it's easier to bowl back of a length and still hit the stumps or get lbws,outside Asia such lengths become too defensive unless you get the batsman to edge the ball.

24 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

In Indian conditions it's easier to bowl back of a length and still hit the stumps or get lbws,outside Asia such lengths become too defensive unless you get the batsman to edge the ball.

That's just a perception. Half volley will go for runs everywhere.

1 hour ago, MultiB48 said:

Not talking about back of a length but proper good length.

In Asian conditions, a pacer may have to bowl on the shorter side of good length to hit the stumps ... but outside Asia he may have to bowl on the fuller side of good length to hit the stumps. Maybe some balls on the shorter side of full length.

Saini sometimes starts bowling fuller side of full length in Asia too.

15 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Full length is half volley. It's the good length that works everywhere in tests even in India.

Full length ain't halfvolley,you have to bowl around 4-5 meter mark  but the margin of error is small.Back of a length works if you are relentless, otherwise you are neither here nor there.

10 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Not talking about back of a length but proper good length.

In Asian conditions, a pacer may have to bowl on the shorter side of good length to hit the stumps ... but outside Asia he may have to bowl on the fuller side of good length to hit the stumps. Maybe some balls on the shorter side of full length.

Saini sometimes starts bowling fuller side of full length in Asia too.

I  prefer  agressive length pacers if he is young,most young pacers aren't patient nor accurate.They are better off trying wicket taking balls ,if they don't get wickets they will struggle to maintain discipline and bowl like experienced pacers.

Edited by MultiB48

1 minute ago, MultiB48 said:

I  prefer  agressive length pacers if he is young,most young pacers aren't patient nor accurate.They are better of trying wicket taking ball ,if they don't get wickets they will struggle to maintain discipline and bowl like experienced pacers.

If a pacer is hitting the top of off stump then it is the perfect aggressive length.

Moreover, a good pacer cannot have a floaty full ball. Both Bumrah and Shami can bowl full without being floaty.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

If a pacer is hitting the top of off stump then it is the perfect aggressive length.

Moreover, a good pacer cannot have a floaty full ball. Both Bumrah and Shami can bowl full without being floaty.

That's too high a bar .If you are bowling full then every ball can hit the stumps if you aren't straying in line,if he has pace and can just straighten the odd ball then that's good enough. Though if you keep bowling full you will be picked for runs specially on flat wickets,but a couple of wickets can change everything.Difference between s/r of 100 and 50 is only 1 wicket taking ball.

Edited by MultiB48

2 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

That's too high a bar .If you are bowling full then every ball can hit the stumps if you aren't straying in line,if he has pace and can just straighten the odd ball then that's good enough. Though if you keep bowling full you will be picked for runs specially on flat wickets,but a couple of wickets can change everything.Difference between s/r of 100 and 50 is only 1 wicket taking ball.

Outside of matches in England OR when the ball is reversing, show me a pacer who keeps bowling full and keeps picking lots of wickets.

Without consistent swing, almost all full deliveries get driven.  (  Only the wide and full sucker ball, after a series of shorter deliveries work as a part of a setup on occasions  )

And Saini has the worst full delivery among all top Indian pacers when he is going for conventional swing. Not talking about yorkers.

P.s -- Hitting the top of off stump, or somewhere close, is not that difficult for professional bowlers. Which is why it has been benchmarked as the target ball.

8 hours ago, express bowling said:

Outside of matches in England OR when the ball is reversing, show me a pacer who keeps bowling full and keeps picking lots of wickets.

Without consistent swing, almost all full deliveries get driven.  (  Only the wide and full sucker ball, after a series of shorter deliveries work as a part of a setup on occasions  )

And Saini has the worst full delivery among all top Indian pacers when he is going for conventional swing. Not talking about yorkers.

P.s -- Hitting the top of off stump, or somewhere close, is not that difficult for professional bowlers. Which is why it has been benchmarked as the target ball.

I have already mentioned that this is regarding young pace bowlers and the reasons have been explained as well.Most pacers bowl good length but they don't all succeed do they.

Edited by MultiB48