Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

"You don't make fast bowlers. They can either bowl quick or they can't. You can make a bowler bowl little bit quicker but if the kid doesn't bowl super sonic he's never gonna do it." 
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/video_audio/965391.html

Have to say I agree with this. I don't recall many cases where a 135k bowler has got transformed to a 145k bowler especially if the bowler's already 22/23. All we get to see is a medium fast bowler change to a fast medium bowler and that too if he has got an action that has some scope for it. 
Even Starc who consistently hits 145+ now used to  bowl in the lower 140s, at times touching 145 at 22/23. I reckon at the under 19 level he could be a 135+ bowler. Has got such a strong rhythmic action, no wonder his pace increased. Cummins/Brett were quick right from the beginning, with Brett reaching his quickest (relatively) at around 25/26. 

Speed ranges in U19 WC

Khaleel Ahmed   124 k to 138 k

Avesh Khan        126 k to 137 k

Khaleel is a left arm fast-medium bowler. His stock delivery is good length, just outside off stump. Bowls a good bouncer from time to time and gets some bounce too. I liked his run-up and action.

Avesh is a right arm hit the deck fast-medium bowler. Gets a lot of bounce with good carry most of the times. Often brings the ball back to the batsman's body from short of good length at good height, like Srinath.

Speed ranges in U19 WC

Khaleel Ahmed   124 k to 138 k

Avesh Khan        126 k to 137 k

Khaleel is a left arm fast-medium bowler. His stock delivery is good length, just outside off stump. Bowls a good bouncer from time to time and gets some bounce too. I liked his run-up and action.

Avesh is a right arm hit the deck fast-medium bowler. Gets a lot of bounce with good carry most of the times. Often brings the ball back to the batsman's body from short of good length at good height, like Srinath.

Seems to be a big variation in range unless they were slow deliveries. What was the approx range of average speed for these bowlers?

10k is a normal variation even for International bowlers, so 10-14k sounds about right for Under 19 kids.

I'm not implying that the pace range looks dubious. But because the range is quite big, I was wondering if its reliable to say that their average pace was the mean of the range.  

Seems to be a big variation in range unless they were slow deliveries. What was the approx range of average speed for these bowlers?

I always exclude slower deliveries from speed ranges.

Most of the times Avesh was bowling 128 k to 134 k and Khaleel 128 k to 136 k. They were hitting the deck hard often and getting bounce, especially Avesh.   These speeds are not bad for Indian teenagers.   

It is possible that their ball release is not as developed as international pacers and some times the ball is not coming out perfectly, resulting in some slower speeds of normal deliveries.

Edited by express bowling

It is possible that their ball release is not as developed as international pacers and some times the ball is not coming out perfectly, resulting in some slower speeds of normal deliveries.

Yeah..This might be the case.
Was curious about the pace distribution of their deliveries within the range. Anyways, was just the first match. I'll check some videos later. Thnx

first 3 are going to play for India...bumrah has debuted.

I dont think navdeep is international class.

Rajput alalso has to be a lil more fast as he is 130 to 139 with Good yorker only.

NatHu seem to be makin waves in deodhar ..let's see.

Why don't you think Navdeep is international class.

None of them are international class as of now. But Navdeep have the best skill set and can bowl up 140.

Why don't you think Navdeep is international class.

None of them are international class as of now. But Navdeep have the best skill set and can bowl up 140.

One problem I noticed with Navdeep was that he was losing steam in his second and third spells. Bowling 127 k to 135 k....after bowling a 135 k o 140 k first spell.   Never a good sign....as we saw with Pankaj Singh and Barinder Sran recently.

One problem I noticed with Navdeep was that he was losing steam in his second and third spells. Bowling 127 k to 135 k....after bowling a 135 k o 140 k first spell.   Never a good sign....as we saw with Pankaj Singh and Barinder Sran recently.

Stamina can always get better as he plays more. It's not a thing that you born with. It is achieved by working on fitness.

Stamina can always get better as he plays more. It's not a thing that you born with. It is achieved by working on fitness.

True...but till the time he achieves it , it will be difficult to say that he is almost ready for international cricket.

Stamina is something that many Indians pacers have never achieved in their life, even after getting selected for India.