Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

5 hours ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Some how these speeds dont match what i saw.May be i missed the deliveries.

I watched every ball when we our pacers were bowling. They infact showed some of the speeds twice...once after the ball was bowled and again when all all the speeds of  an over  were being shown.

One interesting titbit is that Shami's second fastest delivery was 144 k....the 149 k delivery was an one off one.

Edited by express bowling
9 hours ago, express bowling said:

First test vs. WI  2nd day

Speed range of most deliveries  ( excluding slower balls )

Ishant   137 k  to 147 k.

Umesh 139 k to 144  k.

Shami  136 k to 149 k.

Ishant got consistent inswing and steep bounce. Bowled some sizzling bouncers but needs to improve his line a bit. Bowled in good areas but also bowled quite a few deliveries down the leg.

Umesh got consistent outswing and bowled most of his deliveries outside off-stump. I was happy to see that he did not bowl those leg-stump deliveries apart from one over. He just needs to bowl a little closer to the off stump and make the batsmen play more.

Shami was getting a lot of zip and bounce off the deck. Got some swing and seam movement. Bowled lots of good deliveries and a few bad ones. Picked up a wicket.  Bowled a few good bouncers.

P.s- It was good to see Shami  bowling quick in a test match after his return from injury and he infact bowled his quickest delivery ever  149 k.

Are the Indian lads bowling faster than the Pakistanis in England? Thats going to be funny, coz Amir isnt really burning the world on fire!

3 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Are the Indian lads bowling faster than the Pakistanis in England? Thats going to be funny, coz Amir isnt really burning the world on fire!

In the few overs we have seen yesterday, we have been distinctly quicker.

I hope our quicks are able to pick up more wickets too.  The Pakistani seamers have not been that penetrative even in England and had to depend on Yasir Shah, the spinner.

I am really disappointed that  Nathu Singh and Ankit Rajpoot have not been chosen for our A team touring Australia.    

Our pacers should have been Aaron, Nathu, Rajpoot and Sran...but only 2 are there.    These 4 and Bumrah should  be groomed specially as they have the potential to do well in international cricket.

Will  Kumble's attempt to create unity of purpose of all stakeholders rectify this from the next A tour  ?

Richards, Bishop and  Dujon can't stop talking about how the bowling style of the 3 Indian fast bowlers in this match has been similar to the West Indian attacks of the '80s.  They are continuously praising the steep bounce, pace and hostility that our quicks are displaying in this match as a bowling unit with special mention about Shami. 

I would like to congratulate Kohli too for including 5 bowlers , which allows the quicks to preserve energy and give it their all and also for encouraging this bowling style. 

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Richards, Bishop and  Dujon can't stop talking about how the bowling style of the 3 Indian fast bowlers in this match has been similar to the West Indian attacks of the '80s.  They are continuously praising the steep bounce, pace and hostility that our quicks are displaying in this match as a bowling unit with special mention about Shami. 

I would like to congratulate Kohli too for including 5 bowlers , which allows the quicks to preserve energy and give it their all and also for encouraging this bowling style. 

A captain makes a huge difference in terms of prioritizing n giving confidence in his bowlers, so they can perform  to potential, clearly Dhoni caused a detrimental effect to our fast bowlers n they didn't perform as well n u see after Kohli took over a different looking seam attack

First test vs. WI  3rd  day

Ishant   132 k  to 145  k.

Umesh  135  k  to 144  k.

Shami   132 k  to 143  k.

Shami was superb today.  Bowled to a plan,  got steep bounce from good length very often,  bowled hostile and accurate bouncers , got seam and swing and ended up picking 4 wickets  in the innings. I liked the fact that he bowled a lot of channel deliveries and most of his wickets were with such deliveries which bounced extra.

Umesh upped his game from the 2nd session. He has been decently accurate the whole day but from the 2nd session he starting to hit the deck harder with some deliveries and picked up 2 wickets using sharp bounce.  Swung the ball both ways and picked up consecutive wickets with an outswinger and inswinger later on.

Ishant was steady throughout the day and generated bounce and inswing. Did not get a wicket in the first innings but picked up the only wicket to fall in the 2nd innings with a beautiful inswinger.

All our pacers maintained decent pace even in the last session and always bowled with effort. Result was WI dismissed for  240 odd.

30 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

1st inngs ishants quickest was 92.4mph or 148.6k

As you are quoting it primarily in mph, you must have got the Hawkeye speeds which are measured using high-speed cameras .....and almost always vary with the ones shown on TV, which are measured using radar guns.

I have stated the fastest speeds shown on TV.

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Shami was superb today.  Bowled to a plan,  got steep bounce from good length very often,  bowled hostile and accurate bouncers , got seam and swing and ended up picking 4 wickets  in the innings. I liked the fact that he bowled a lot of channel deliveries and most of his wickets were with such deliveries which bounced extra.

Umesh upped his game from the 2nd session. He has been decently accurate the whole day but from the 2nd session he starting to hit the deck harder with some deliveries and picked up 2 wickets using sharp bounce.  Swung the ball both ways and picked up consecutive wickets with an outswinger and inswinger later on.

Ishant was steady throughout the day and generated bounce and inswing. Did not get a wicket in the first innings but picked up the only wicket to fall in the 2nd innings with a beautiful inswinger.

All our pacers maintained decent pace even in the last session and always bowled with effort. Result was WI dismissed for  240 odd.

They all will keep getting better as the series progress, Umesh had an injury in latter part of ipl and shami has come after a long lay off so both will keep getting better with more bowling n more wkts. 

Ian bishop mentioned Jamaica would be one very good pitch for fast bowlers thats were ishant to be dangerous specially if it would have bounce. Likewise everyone would come in play at diff stages of series.

Shami n umesh r going to be key at home series with reverse swing, specially eng who till date i feel has no clue how to play it specially when bowled at high pace. Saw umesh n i was impressed how he has started to use the crease which i didnt see earlier in his bowling and his slingy action during 4th test suggest he is trying different things . I feel he is at a lot more piece that is why is he is trying new stuff .

Before these guys go overseas now i feel they would have become far better bowlers as they would have 19-20 test exp under them. Specially spending time with kumble for that long would tweak them mentally more. International cricket is all about mental adjustment and as more test matches go by they will keep getting better and better. 

6 hours ago, express bowling said:

Shami has shortened his strides while running in and this has resulted in much smoother run-up. Bishop was explaining how this has given him a higher point of release which possibly helped him get higher bounce. Great to see him make a comeback with a bang. Pick of the bowlers yesterday.

Umesh bowled really well yesterday and he has that knack of picking wickets which is crucial in tests. One good thing about Umesh's bowling yesterday was his use of crease to vary his angles. Something which we had not seen before. One real improvement in his bowling. That ball to take the wicket of a set Brathwaite was a beauty which he bowled wide of the crease. Very good performance from a bowler who is called a brainless bowler and ridiculed often. Hope we get more such "brainless" bowling performances.

Ishant as always gave his 100% throughout the day. Bending his back and bowling 140K even in the last session. Hope he gets more wickets this innings.

Edited by Mosher

Umesh hit  148 k today.

Fastest deliveries I have seen for the match

Shami     149 k

Umesh    148 k

Ishant     147 k

What was impressive on the 3rd day was that even during their slowest spells later in the day, lots of deliveries were bowled between 135 k and 143 k.  And sufficient bouncers were always bowled.

After getting his first wicket, Umesh started bowling to a plan and in decent areas mostly.   He is such a  confidence dependent bowler.

This tour with 4 test matches is a wonderful chance for our fast bowlers to bowl a lot of deliveries in test match conditions, and practice how to set up batsmen by bowling to a plan and then picking wickets.  in Kumble, they have a great mentor to guide them.

Edited by express bowling