Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

17 hours ago, rkt.india said:

that is the problem of Indian cricket these days, not just with Aaron. We prepare rank turners at home, play 2 seamers, at times only 1, others only warm the benches and then expect they will become great bowlers and start winning us matches abroad.

This is what is making me nervous. As we have the next ~19 tests in Asia, we are going to play at most 1 or 2 pacers, and they are for sure going to be Shami and Ishant. Over the next few seasons our other pacers, barring injury, Yadav, Bhuvi, Aaron, and the assorted youngsters may not even get games and then one of them will be thrown into the fire on our next away tour while lacking recent international exposure. 

Edited by Tibarn

2nd test vs WI --- day 4

Speeds were similar to  the 2nd day.

Today was all about Bhuvi's excellent performance which culminated in a 5-fer.   After quite some time, he was swinging the ball both ways and getting some deliveries to swing in a lot with the 2nd new ball. When there is swing available, he is one of the most pleasing bowlers to watch.  The huge inswinger to get Samuels out was the best ball IMO.

The pitch had some bounce today and Bhuvi got quite a few deliveries to bounce a little extra from good length or just short of that.  2 wickets and one dropped catch were as a result of that delivery.   I really wanted him to try this tactic and today he succeeded.  His spell resulted in the match coming alive.

Shami bowled decently. Bowled in good areas most of the time and got a lot of bounce. Bowled a couple of sizzling bouncers and bowled to a plan.

Ishant was ok. He picked up a wicket with a bouncer and was bowling with effort. 

Edited by express bowling
11 hours ago, express bowling said:

2nd test vs WI --- day 4

Speeds were similar to  the 2nd day.

Today was all about Bhuvi's excellent performance which culminated in a 5-fer.   After quite some time, he was swinging the ball both ways and getting some deliveries to swing in a lot with the 2nd new ball. When there is swing available, he is one of the most pleasing bowlers to watch.  The huge inswinger to get Samuels out was the best ball IMO.

The pitch had some bounce today and Bhuvi got quite a few deliveries to bounce a little extra from good length or just short of that.  2 wickets and one dropped catch were as a result of that delivery.   I really wanted him to try this tactic and today he succeeded.  His spell resulted in the match coming alive.

Shami bowled decently. Bowled in good areas most of the time and got a lot of bounce. Bowled a couple of sizzling bouncers and bowled to a plan.

Ishant was ok. He picked up a wicket with a bouncer and was bowling with effort. 

I am a little late in saying this, and believe me I have been meaning to say this for a while, but the new Bhuvi is really refreshing. He is the only Indian bowler ever who has increased his pace from 120's to more towards late 130's and early 140's. 

I am just wondering shouldnt a thread be opened and a comparison be made as to who is better, Amir or Bhuvi? My votes might go to Bhuvi!

25 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

@express bowling did you see kapil dev bowl ? can you tell why his bowling record is better in aus than in eng in tests

Yes I have, but  I missed some of his best years from 1978 to mid-1983.   When I first saw him, he was much quicker than his later years and had a sharp bouncer.  His outswing was outstanding.   He had the ability to swing a ball out and then seam it in after pitching, with some deliveries.  But, above all, he knew how to set-up batsmen.

I saw Kapil tour England and Australia twice each.  Most of the Australian pitches during the 1985/86  and 1991/92 tours were very lively , bouncy and offered seam movement, not flat ones like nowadays.  They were ideal for a skilled pacer like Kapil to do well.   

I was very young during our 1986 tour to England, and , as far as I remember, Kapil was having problems with his knees during that trip and did not do well.  In the 1990 trip to England, most pitches were very flat, Kapil had lost pace and  the combination was not ideal for him to do well.

If  Kapil had laid off for a year and come back after healing or improving his knees, he would have been a far better bowler during the 2nd half of his career but  Kapil never opted out of a test match voluntarily.   Medical procedures to heal injuries in sports was not as good as it was nowadays and that contributed a lot too.

30 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Yes I have, but  I missed some of his best years from 1978 to mid-1983.   When I first saw him, he was much quicker than his later years and had a sharp bouncer.  His outswing was outstanding.   He had the ability to swing a ball out and then seam it in after pitching, with some deliveries.  But, above all, he knew how to set-up batsmen.

I saw Kapil tour England and Australia twice each.  Most of the Australian pitches during the 1985/86  and 1991/92 tours were very lively , bouncy and offered seam movement, not flat ones like nowadays.  They were ideal for a skilled pacer like Kapil to do well.   

I was very young during our 1986 tour to England, and , as far as I remember, Kapil was having problems with his knees during that trip and did not do well.  In the 1990 trip to England, most pitches were very flat, Kapil had lost pace and  the combination was not ideal for him to do well.

If  Kapil had laid off for a year and come back after healing or improving his knees, he would have been a far better bowler during the 2nd half of his career but  Kapil never opted out of a test match voluntarily.   Medical procedures to heal injuries in sports was not as good as it was nowadays and that contributed a lot too.

Even Jadeja was talking about Kapil yesterday and how quick he was in his younger days. Do you think he was bowling 140K in his younger days? I saw Kapil when he a bit older and he had reduced his pace by then. 

32 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Even Jadeja was talking about Kapil yesterday and how quick he was in his younger days. Do you think he was bowling 140K in his younger days? I saw Kapil when he a bit older and he had reduced his pace by then. 

Very difficult to say bro...as I was very young then. All I remember is that he hurried batsmen regularly and bowled quite a few good bouncers. If I  saw such bowling nowadays, I would have said 135 k to 143 k...but that is just a guess.

Kapil was quite lively for his first 7 years or so when he took the majority of his test wickets.

4 hours ago, Mosher said:

Another possibility, apart from what Express Bowling has said, is Kapil could just have been medium fast to fast medium. Imagine a situation if Shoaib, Brett Lee, Shane Bond were bowling together, after an initial spell of 10-12 overs, the batters would get used to the pace. But if Shoaib would bowl alongside Praveen Kumar, Robin Singh and the likes, Shoaib would be a huge psychological and technical change for the batsmen.

In the same mould, Kapil was bowling mostly with Binny, Madan lal and spinners who were pretty slow. So even a speed of 130-135ish would seem quicker to batsmen, after facing Madan lal and gang. Not to forget the prodigious swing and quality of bowling Kapil had in his initial years. 

5 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Another possibility, apart from what Express Bowling has said, is Kapil could just have been medium fast to fast medium. Imagine a situation if Shoaib, Brett Lee, Shane Bond were bowling together, after an initial spell of 10-12 overs, the batters would get used to the pace. But if Shoaib would bowl alongside Praveen Kumar, Robin Singh and the likes, Shoaib would be a huge psychological and technical change for the batsmen.

In the same mould, Kapil was bowling mostly with Binny, Madan lal and spinners who were pretty slow. So even a speed of 130-135ish would seem quicker to batsmen, after facing Madan lal and gang. Not to forget the prodigious swing and quality of bowling Kapil had in his initial years. 

That is a possibility for sure. The same logic may even apply to other fast bowlers of that era from other countries. We have no idea about the actual pace of average pacers or even quick pacers of that era. We only know that some were quicker than others. 

Duleep Trophy , Red vs. Green, Day 1

Nathu Singh, Ankit Rajpoot, Sandeep Sharma and Kuldeep Yadav were the impressive bowlers today.  Good to see the ICF favourites doing well.

There were no speed guns.

Nathu  Singh  bowled with good pace in his first spell and was getting inswing regularly.  He was  attacking the stumps consistently and this resulted in him getting 3 wickets of top order batsmen so far. He did spray a few deliveries both on the leg and on the off-side though.  he came back in the second spell and looked a little slower but was more accurate( although Tiwary hit him ).  He needs to work on his stamina a bit.

His potential was there for all to see but he is still a work-in-progress and needs to bowl more and more to improve his stamina and accuracy. He did not bowl a single bouncer today and I would like to see him try that more often.  

He has a very athletic run-up and accelerates towards the end, has a steady head while bowling and bends his back a lot.  All these are big pluses.

Ankit Rajpoot looks more ready than  Nathu.  He bowled with good pace and got some deliveries to bounce from length. One such delivery got him a wicket.  He bowled some good bouncers and generally bowled good areas apart from his first 2 overs.  Ended up with 2 wickets from only 8 overs.  Impressive performance overall.

Sandeep Sharma picked up 4 wickets and was accurate as usual.  He did not get much swing though but made up with line and length.

Kuldeep Yadav was really impressive. He got zip off the deck , got good turn with some of his chinamen deliveries and bowled some googlies too. He bowled to a plan and has picked up 3 wickets so far.

Nathu Singh  came up with a superb spell of  fast bowling in the first session.  He bowled to a plan and with purpose and honed in on the stumps.  Bowled with good pace , accuracy and was getting late inswing. He bowled good yorkers at will and mixed them up with good bouncers.  

Picked up 3 wickets as a result, all from yorkers, and ended up with 6 for the innings.

I am very happy to see Nathu perform on a bigger stage and show that he has something extra.

This bowler will go far if he can remain fit and focused.  It is so good to see another fast bowler from India, after Shami, who is combining pace with brains.

Ankit Rajpoot had an average day today.  It did not help  that he was bowled in very short spells of 1 to 3 overs. He bowled 11 overs in 5 spells and that is a joke...this is not a T20 game.   He picked up a wicket though but his accuracy was not as good as yesterday and he was expensive. His pace and bounce were good though and he was hitting the bat hard. I hope he is given spells of 4 to 6 overs in the future.

Shreyas Gopal has impressed a lot in this innings. He has got good turn with his leg-spinners and bowled the googly with panache. His most impressive quality is the zip and bounce he was getting off the deck. he was setting up batsmen today with a sequence of well thought out deliveries and  all these resulted in him getting 5 wickets in the 2nd innings on a pitch which had flattened out a lot.

He is a good batsman too and is a player to keep a serious  eye on.

Nathu Singh bowled a beautiful  spell this morning  on a flat track in the Duleep Trophy  final.   He bowled channel deliveries consistently with some inswing and small seam movements  both ways.  Got a  bit of bounce too and nicely punctuated his channel deliveries with bouncers.  

He bowled speeds of 137 k to 143 k consistently.   The ball was really hitting the bat and wicket-keeper's gloves hard. As speed-guns in domestic matches show lower readings....it is possible that he will be able to bowl 140 k to 145 k spells in test matches and a bit higher in LOIs.

I really liked the way he bowled in good areas ball after ball at full pace although he was not getting results.  He did not try that many variations which is the way to go.   There was one dropped catch and another one went flying through 2nd slip after it was removed the previous ball.

He needs to improve his stamina though...as his speed dropped in the 3rd session on day 1.

But I liked the way he bowled to a plan.  Another solid domestic season and this guy should be ready for international cricket in the second half  of  2017.

Mustafizur Rahman hit 146 kph in England recently before he got injured playing for sussex.

How does he do that? I mean he is slim and not so strong. Only turned 21.

Can he reach the 150kph mark? if he puts on bit more muscle?

Umesh and Aaron have good pace for India, but their accuracy and consistent performance lacking.

I think if they improve on those issues, they might serve India well in England... Champions Trophy.

Edited by Shamim.Miah
5 minutes ago, Shamim.Miah said:

Mustafizur Rahman hit 146 kph in England recently before he got injured playing for sussex.

How does he do that? I mean he is slim and not so strong. Only turned 21.

Can he reach the 150kph mark? if he puts on bit more muscle?

Umesh and Aaron have good pace for India, but their accuracy and consistent performance lacking.

I think if they improve on those issues, they might serve India well in England... Champions Trophy.

Pace alone doesn't matter. It is the ability to win matches for your team that does. Umesh has a CT winning trophy under his belt, Mustafizur doesn't. In fact, Akhtar also doesn't have a World Trophy in his cabinet, but is he a horrible bowler.

Edited by Adi_91