Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

2 minutes ago, Adi_91 said:

Pace alone doesn't matter. It is the ability to win matches for your team that does. 

If you are talking about Indian pacers, than except Shami, I haven't seen pacers win too many matches for India.

As most often its Kohli or some master class batting performance from the batsman.

Both Umesh and Aaron has good pace, perhaps if they work on consistency they can win matches when it matters.

Especially in England, they might thrive with their pace, and if they have swing that's a lethal addition.

24 minutes ago, Shamim.Miah said:

Mustafizur Rahman hit 146 kph in England recently before he got injured playing for sussex.

How does he do that? I mean he is slim and not so strong. Only turned 21.

Can he reach the 150kph mark? if he puts on bit more muscle?

This is one of the big myths in cricket, that you need to be muscular to bowl fast, at least in terms of upper body. Pace is generated mostly by the run-up and then the action, therefore leg muscles are generally more important. Most fast bowlers train by running long distances daily, thus helping both their leg development and their stamina to bowl long spells.

Fizz can probably reach 150, if he trains for that, but the goal should be to reach a good pace and maintain it throughout a test match, while also retaining the ability to make the ball talk, rather than a high peak speed. If you look at Mohammad Aamir, you can rewatch highlights from the last Asia Cup in Bangladesh, he could bowl high 140s and low 150s regularly, particularly his yorkers, and he is of similar physique as Fizz. However, in tests he usually bowls spells in the mid 130s.     

Edited by Tibarn
3 minutes ago, Shamim.Miah said:

If you are talking about Indian pacers, than except Shami, I haven't seen pacers win too many matches for India.

As most often its Kohli or some master class batting performance from the batsman.

Both Umesh and Aaron has good pace, perhaps if they work on consistency they can win matches when it matters.

Especially in England, they might thrive with their pace, and if they have swing that's a lethal addition.

Read my updated comment above.

15 minutes ago, Adi_91 said:

Pace alone doesn't matter. It is the ability to win matches for your team that does. Umesh has a CT winning trophy under his belt, Mustafizur doesn't. In fact, Akhtar also doesn't have a World Trophy in his cabinet, but is he a horrible bowler.

I think Dale Steyn & some other quality players don't have a CT and World cup trophy under their belt. :)

Mustafizur at such a young age has won many matches for Bangladesh. India, South Africa, Pakistan.. etc..his only 21.

13 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

this is not sky ,it is just the county's camera .which they use for all matches ,they dont have speedometer unlike sky.

it wasn't broadcasted live. might have got the speed wrong. I think it was Taskin Ahmed who hit 145kph.

Not sure where I got the 146kph for mustafiz, cant remember to be honest. but I have seen him hit 140+ kph on many occusations, also in IPL.

Edited by Shamim.Miah

1 hour ago, Shamim.Miah said:

Mustafizur Rahman hit 146 kph in England recently before he got injured playing for sussex.

How does he do that? I mean he is slim and not so strong. Only turned 21.

Can he reach the 150kph mark? if he puts on bit more muscle?

I am generally interested in repeatable speed ranges for pacers rather than once in a blue moon highest  speed.

Ishant has bowled a few 150 to 152 k deliveries but he is generally a 135 k to 147 k pacer...and that is what is important.

Similarly...Shami bowled a 149 k in the WI ...but he is generally a 135 k to  146 k pacer.

What is good is that both are able to bowl those speeds in tests, even in later sessions, rather than only in T20s.

Mustafizur is a very good bowler...it is immaterial whether he can touch 150 k once or twice..... if he can bowl skillfully at good pace , that is enough.

2 hours ago, Shamim.Miah said:

I think Dale Steyn & some other quality players don't have a CT and World cup trophy under their belt. :)

Mustafizur at such a young age has won many matches for Bangladesh. India, South Africa, Pakistan.. etc..his only 21.

That is exactly the point I am making. Great bowlers with pace can go without a trophy win, because they failed at a crucial stage. Dale did in the WC SF last year and Mustafizur, sorry played just one World tournament and his team performed terribly.

Let Mustafizur win a world title, you can revive this thread. 

From this Duleep Trophy......young bowlers who seem to have the potential to play international cricket, especially the longer version, are.....

Pacers -- Nathu Singh, Pradeep Sangwan, Ankit  Rajpoot.   Pankaj Singh has looked very good too but he is 31 already .

Spinners -- Kuldeep Yadav,  Shreyas Gopal...and maybe Karn Sharma....all wrist spinners.

Edited by express bowling
32 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

What ever happened to Ishwar Pandey? I know he played for CSK in the IPL, but wasn't he being touted as a great test prospect a few seasons ago, around the same time as Shami?

He seems to have good enough Ranji numbers, I wonder why he fell out of favor.

He was selected in the Indian squad but was dropped without playing a single game in any format.  Looks like the team management felt that he was not international material....perhaps because of his speed.  

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

He was selected in the Indian squad but was dropped without playing a single game in any format.  Looks like the team management felt that he was not international material....perhaps because of his speed.  

132-137 more like Mohit sharma pace. Do not remember if he swings.

8 hours ago, express bowling said:

That's a shame, I wanted to see him in a few international matches. He seemed to have good control over line and length. Maybe a bit like Hazlewood for Australia.

10 hours ago, Tibarn said:

What ever happened to Ishwar Pandey? I know he played for CSK in the IPL, but wasn't he being touted as a great test prospect a few seasons ago, around the same time as Shami?

He seems to have good enough Ranji numbers, I wonder why he fell out of favor.

He did play Duleep trophy, didnt do much.

Pankaj Singh's ability to bowl a heavy ball  --  which loses less pace than usual after pitching  --   seems to have increased in the last one year or so.   That is making a big difference to his bowling now.

Looking at  him bowl, he actually deserves another chance.  He is bowling some nasty deliveries on a flat track and is so accurate,

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Pankaj Singh's ability to bowl a heavy ball  --  which loses less pace than usual after pitching  --   seems to have increased in the last one year or so.   That is making a big difference to his bowling now.

Looking him bowl, he actually deserves another chance.  He is bowling some nasty deliveries on a flat track and is so accurate,

Is he from Jharkhand? Whats the kind of speed he is touching? I mean, is he 140+?