Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

On 17/10/2016 at 5:10 PM, vishalvirsingh said:

Sorry but I don't agree hardik pandya going further than 144 or 145k ..I was seeing the match on HD and had great speakers.. I could hear the grunt he was making.

Because this was his debut match- hardik was bowling his HEART OUT and consistently grunting during his first spell of 7 overs.

I will be really happy if he maintains between 136 to 144k ...can you believe his average pace after 5 overs was around 140.8k

on average kinda equal to Umesh.

only difference is he was grunting hard and Umesh was not.

he has been 135 to 140k all of his years and has suddenly shot up to 136 to 144k. I don't expect him to increase his pace further as he does not look so STRONG as Umesh and Shammi who can get pace through shoulder too..but yes hardik looks faster than BK at present.

Today Pandya bowled at 146 kmph 

2nd  ODI vs NZ

Speed ranges of most deliveries ( excluding slower balls  )  

Umesh       137 k to 147 k    

Pandya      135 k to 146 k   

Bumrah     135 k to 143 k   

Bumrah -  Was superb today.  He was accurate as usual.  Bowled some excellent yorkers and slower deliveries near the end and picked up  3 wickets for only  35 runs.  He  got some seam movement and bowled with good pace.

Umesh- Started the match with a  dream delivery that swung away slightly and bowled  Guptill. His first spell was a mixed bag after that with mostly good balls  bowled but occasional boundary balls in between.  He was very accurate in his later spells and gave away very few runs. He tried a couple of yorkers and I want to see him bowl more of those.  Bowled some good slower deliveries near the end.  Overall...a good day again. Finished with 1 for 42 runs only.

Pandya - Bowled well today again today and kept an average speed of 139 k in his first spell  while maintaining good accuracy. He is not spraying the ball at all.  Tried quite a few slower balls later.   I am very happy to see him bowling his stock delivery,   ball after  ball and not trying too many things.  This is the sign of a proper bowler.

Edited by express bowling

4th  ODI vs NZ

Speed ranges of most deliveries ( excluding slower balls  )  

Umesh       135 k to 145 k    

Pandya      132 k to 142 k   

Dhawal      127 k to 137 k   ....with an one off 141 k.

Umesh  bowled well today in most overs.  This pitch had very little for the fast bowlers in the day time but he looked very quick and straight on a slow pitch.  Bowled quite a few fast rising deliveries and bouncers to trouble the batters and that is good to see.  Generally bowled in good areas and got some reverse swing in the end overs.  He bowled 5 slog overs on the trot but gave away only 31 runs then.  He bowled some yorkers, attempted yorkers, low full tosses and slower deliveries in the end overs and that helped.  Picked up a wicket and had 3 potential and dropped catches off his bowling.

Pandya  bowled only 5 overs today and did not open the bowling. He bowled 8 wides in that but his other deliveries were bowled in good areas and mostly with pace. he hurried the batsmen and picked up a wicket. Bowled 2 good short balls. Was not used in the slog overs at all.

Dhawal had a disappointing first spell, albeit on a slow track, and gave a way 9 runs per over.  It was not his day.  But he came back well in the slog overs and did not give away that many runs.  His speed was generally on the lower side and that is a worry without much swing. I would like to watch him for a few more matches before criticizing him. Anyone can have a bad day.

I am a bit disappointed with the way our bowlers bowled on a flat track with a bit of bounce. This has been our problem for many years....bowling on flat tracks.  Every country has problems while bowling on flat tracks but some do better than others.

The first requirement on a flat pitch is bowling a good line and length ball after ball.  We have sometimes done that in this match and sometimes have not.  There is room for improvement.

The biggest problem was not hitting the deck hard by our pacers and the unwillingness to trouble the batsmen with bounce.  This pitch has bounce even on the 5th day.  The English seamers have got a lot of bounce, especially Woakes.  This has been a problem with our fast bowlers after Srinath. No-one wants to use bounce with any consistency.  Even the susceptible Moeen Ali and the debutant  Hameed were not  attacked with bouncers. It is possible that Shami was affected by the hamstring injury and I  would not be too critical of him based on this match. He has used bounce better than our other fast bowlers in the WI and NZ series.

Our spinners got less spin on the 5th day than the English spinners  got on the 4th day.  This is a  problem we have with our spinners. Not putting enough revs on the ball and not using enough body while bowling. Ashwin used more body in the 2nd innings and bowled a bit faster too to adjust for the pitch...but did not put sufficient revs on the ball.

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

The English seamers have been impressive in terms of  having an effective plan and having the ability to execute that plan.

Our fast bowlers have a lot to  learn in this regard.

Not bowling any short balls to Hameed or Ali is striking. I mean I understand initially you might lose the plot and forget but no short balls to hameed? Come on

2 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

Short balls on patta wickets mean fast bowler gets drained out.

I asked for one. I never said keep bowling short balls. They bowled one short ball to Moeen ali before he got to 99 for someone who is notorious for being inept against short balls.

2 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

1 bouncer on a patta wicket takes double the calories and can cause damage to shoulders too and does not come out that quick too.

So one off as surprise should be used on Indian pitches to push batsmen at back foot.

I see bouncers as short balls and can easily manage to either not play them or hit them if they are not on my helmet..I don't hook well.

10 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

Fast bowlers don't have to bowl that many overs on these pitches.  Spinners do the bulk of the bowling. They can afford to bowl a few bouncers in their short spells and all good ones do.

As Wasim Akram keeps pointing out....pitches in the sub-continent have variable bounce and bouncers end up being very effective here.

Rising short deliveries, used as a surprise weapon. also stop batsmen from camping comfortably on the front foot, even if the bowled bouncer does not end up being a hostile one.

8 minutes ago, laaloo said:

I asked for one. I never said keep bowling short balls. They bowled one short ball to Moeen ali before he got to 99 for someone who is notorious for being inept against short balls.

U r rite...moin is bad against bouncers like me.

But on patta wickets even guys who can't hook well can manage to defend well.

I love dumping down fast bouncers easily for singles n though moin is bad but his defensive technique is good.

I m saying your point is correct about moin but Indian patta in scorching heat .bouncers loose the pace n sting...

I m surprised how vijay got out today ..may be new ball did the trick n vijay defended casually.

Moin shud be attacked with bouncers but not on rajkot patta as he has good defence . .one off shud be tried.

4 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

1 bouncer on a patta wicket takes double the calories and can cause damage to shoulders too and does not come out that quick too.

So one off as surprise should be used on Indian pitches to push batsmen at back foot.

I see bouncers as short balls and can easily manage to either not play them or hit them if they are not on my helmet..I don't hook well.

How do you know it takes double the calories? 

1 hour ago, panther said:

How do you know it takes double the calories? 

i have never bowled on an Australian Pitch or a English wicket but yep I have bowled on a greenish track -one gets the ball to bounce with out pushing hard at all and is more of a simple regular action ball which is just a little shortish...

where as the same action same energy same pitching same ball if bowled similar way  becomes a lowish pacy ball on the pads.

to convert the same ball into a bouncer - the bowler has to use his shoulder and energy and really apply whatever energy he has to get the ball to rise.

do note the bouncers that were bowled by Anderson today and even broad..even the wicket he got on a bouncer ,,,he got bcos Vijay did nt dump that ball on the ground and both these bowlers broad and Anderson are used to bowling 2 to 3 bouncers evry over in England.

I m giving a wild guess that a bouncer in india takes twice the no of calories but I really mean that a bouncer is tuf.

Since I am 95 kg 6ft + now ( not that Slim)I can easily bowl the medium pace bowl with a round off action but when I try bouncer...I am surprised to see that its a joke of a delivery ..kinda shortish ball .. a ball that does reach 5.6 ft but nt too fast....

as I open batting for my corporate team .. I would not mind taking bouncers and wear a chest guard and helmet.

normally a bouncer becomes a JOke on indian patta pitches as pace gets reduced and if batsman is wearing proper chest guard and helmet- he is hardly scared...same ball on English pitches is deadly.