Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

11 hours ago, express bowling said:

We need a couple of tall pacers who have the ability to think and have wicket taking ability.  Their height would mean extra bounce and hence an extra tool to execute plans.

True, we seem to have one but not the other with the current lot except Shami to an extent. Bowlers like Aniket, Rajpoot have to be taken on A tours, also not sure if there is anything new that we will learn about the likes of Dhawal Kulkarni, either he is good enough for the Indian team or he isn't, can't be groomed any longer, would be better to invest in people who have little exposure to the A team but seem promising.

16 hours ago, speedster said:

True, we seem to have one but not the other with the current lot except Shami to an extent. Bowlers like Aniket, Rajpoot have to be taken on A tours, also not sure if there is anything new that we will learn about the likes of Dhawal Kulkarni, either he is good enough for the Indian team or he isn't, can't be groomed any longer, would be better to invest in people who have little exposure to the A team but seem promising.

RED HOT Umesh - umesh burning on all cylinders...Dhwal vinay Praveen kumar should pack his bags and go back to Mumbai and play.

I want to laugh at MSD..he did not play Umesh as a captain even when he had him in his reserves..a captain who would play Praveen Kumar, dhwal and Vk ahead of Umesh and even Varun is like playing an ambati raydu Ahead of Virat Kohli or a Sachin Tendulkar.

even if virat or Sachin score three consecutive ducks in three matches they are much better than Ambati...

exactly like that Umesh is much better than VK/Dhwal/Praveen /trundlers even if he is giving away few runs and some times not taking wickets...understand this dear DHO.... 

My hats Off today to Umesh  Yadav.. I did not see shammi's bowling much so I cant comment.

but Umesh bowling 144 to 148k on a PATTA Wicket and nearly getting Root and Hameed LBW...Serious Sensational deadly Pace. it was Root who could handle him.

148k in Vizag is exciting.. if umesh is that fast then I will fly abroad to see Umesh Shammi IShant fast bowling...

I saw srinath bowling in one test with south Africa when azhar played and I could say through my eyes that Srinath was faster than Allan Donald in that Test and later it was proved that ZULLU( African allrounder) and Srinath Bowled faster than Allan Donald.

its super sensational to see genuine fast bowling and till now I have never flown abroad to see matches live in the stadium. BUt if Umesh Shammi and Ishant start touching 145 to 152k .. I will definitely fly n watch live matches Abroad.

1 hour ago, vishalvirsingh said:

RED HOT Umesh - umesh burning on all cylinders...Dhwal vinay Praveen kumar should pack his bags and go back to Mumbai and play.

I want to laugh at MSD..he did not play Umesh as a captain even when he had him in his reserves..a captain who would play Praveen Kumar, dhwal and Vk ahead of Umesh and even Varun is like playing an ambati raydu Ahead of Virat Kohli or a Sachin Tendulkar.

even if virat or Sachin score three consecutive ducks in three matches they are much better than Ambati...

exactly like that Umesh is much better than VK/Dhwal/Praveen /trundlers even if he is giving away few runs and some times not taking wickets...understand this dear DHO.... 

My hats Off today to Umesh  Yadav.. I did not see shammi's bowling much so I cant comment.

but Umesh bowling 144 to 148k on a PATTA Wicket and nearly getting Root and Hameed LBW...Serious Sensational deadly Pace. it was Root who could handle him.

148k in Vizag is exciting.. if umesh is that fast then I will fly abroad to see Umesh Shammi IShant fast bowling...

I saw srinath bowling in one test with south Africa when azhar played and I could say through my eyes that Srinath was faster than Allan Donald in that Test and later it was proved that ZULLU( African allrounder) and Srinath Bowled faster than Allan Donald.

its super sensational to see genuine fast bowling and till now I have never flown abroad to see matches live in the stadium. BUt if Umesh Shammi and Ishant start touching 145 to 152k .. I will definitely fly n watch live matches Abroad.

Forgot about Aaron,India's quickest bowler and future prospects like Nathu,Rajpoot who are capable of 140-145ks.

I have to say in tests 2 of our best seamers are bowling right now.Umesh and Shami both are quick,

both have a good outswing with the new ball,Shami has seam movement due to his beautiful seam

presentation.Both have a good bouncer,both can be good with the old ball with their reverse swing at pace.

Both can hit the deck so handful on bouncy pitches though their disadvantage is they are not that tall.Avg for

fast bowlers.So if I have to arrange them by rank in test matches it'll look like this:-

Shami

Umesh

Ishant (on bouncy pitches)

BK (in swinging conditions)

Aaron

Shardul

I hope Nathu and Rajpoot progress further and comes in the squad in future.

Edited by ShebbySB
3 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

Umesh and Ishant have bowled consistently around 145-152 in the past. Yadav is exceptional, for sure. Shami is a revelation, he has gained up pace while improving bowling quality. I think these guys are right up there if they are consistent.

I'm really glad VK hasn't succumbed to the temptation of playing just one seamer and Hardik Pandya.  Both fast bowlers have shown great heart and bowled well.   They could easily have set up T1 if the slips weren't all butter-fingers.  Umesh wasn't as good as he was in Rajkot, but was still OK.  

Even poor Ashwin got a lot of stick for Rajkot, but people forget that inspite of all the drops he did his job and had England @ 100/3 on D1.  Its a bit unfair to expect him to be one-man army with the ball even on D1 on flat tracks.  

Test 2 against England

Speeds range of deliveries excluding slower balls

Umesh  140 k  to 148 k

Shami   135 k  to 146 k

Both our fast bowlers bowled really quick on a flat deck today and had  the English batters in all sorts of trouble.  Their intensity in their opening spells was terrific and  the captain kept very aggressive fields to aid them.

Shami bowled to a plan with some excellent sequence of deliveries.  He got Cook bowled with a quick delivery that seamed in to the lefty after the 2 previous deliveries had swung away.  The stump broke in half.    He pushed the batters on the back-foot with liberal use of rising short deliveries and then pitched the others up to trouble them with swing and seam booth ways. It was real high class fast bowling on a patta.

It was good to see  Umesh was going for raw pace today with his average pace around 145 k.    He was less accurate than in the earlier 3 test series he has played but still looked good due to the intensity.  If only he had bowled some more bouncers like Shami had, he would have looked more lethal and  may have picked up  wickets.

Edited by express bowling
Just now, express bowling said:

Test 2 against England

Speeds range of deliveries excluding slower balls

Umesh  140 k  to 148 k

Shami   135 k  to 146 k

Both our fast bowlers bowled really quick on a flat deck today and had  the English batters in all sorts of trouble.  Their intensity in their opening spells was terrific and  the captain kept very aggressive fields to aid them.

Shami bowled to a plan with some excellent sequence of deliveries.  He got Cook bowled with a quick delivery that seamed in to the lefty after the 2 previous deliveries had swung away.  The stump broke in half.    He pushed the batters on the back-foot with liberal use of rising short deliveries and then pitched the others up to trouble them with swing and seam booth ways. It was real high class fast bowling on a patta.

Umesh was going for raw pace today with his average pace around 145 k.  He was less accurate than in the earlier 3 test series he has played but still looked good due to the intensity.  If only he had bowled some more bouncers like Shami had, he would have looked more lethal and  may have picked up  wickets.

Umesh still has opportunities to contribute in this test.  Even if he only takes a couple of wickets, if he keeps the pressure on, that will be good.  Luck and wickets will come his way as long as he is consistent.

Umesh to me looks like he has sorted his action n control n now needs a good bowling coach, Shane Bond, Shoaib, Zak.He needs to start thinking about a batter, formulate his plans per condition n batsmen n bowl accordingly, which he is not doing, needs to start bowling to a plan , he has everything you can hope for as a bowler, raw pace, very good athletic action, can seam, swing, reverse, need to mix his length a bit more and learn to bowl to a plan

7 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Atherton calling Shami and Yadav 8 kph or 10 kph quicker than Anderson. ( in a discussion  explaining the difference in bowling styles between the tall English seamers with high arm actions and the shorter Indian fast-bowlers who skid-on )

Good to see a candid English commentator. Even Hussain has been good.

Hussain said he was very impressed with Shami, n liked alot of things about his bowling, pace, skiddiness and him targeting the stumps n keeping up his pace and his bowling in general

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Atherton calling Shami and Yadav 8 kph or 10 kph quicker than Anderson. ( in a discussion  explaining the difference in bowling styles between the tall English seamers with high arm actions and the shorter Indian fast-bowlers who skid-on )

Good to see a candid English commentator. Even Hussain has been good.

45 minutes ago, Vilander said:

grudging acceptance. quick enough.

I remember in 99 World Cup, David Gower used to keep talking about Srinath's pace. He always used to call him genuine pace.  Also, in the first match against SA, when Graeme Pollock was commentating and he saw Srinath termed as Fast Medium, he specifically said, ' Surely, Srinath is much much faster than ' Fast Medium'.

Btw, today Atherton also said since Indian bowlers were 8-10 k''s quicker, hence they were more difficult to handle.

7 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

I remember in 99 World Cup, David Gower used to keep talking about Srinath's pace. He always used to call him genuine pace.  Also, in the first match against SA, when Graeme Pollock was commentating and he saw Srinath termed as Fast Medium, he specifically said, ' Surely, Srinath is much much faster than ' Fast Medium'.

Btw, today Atherton also said since Indian bowlers were 8-10 k''s quicker, hence they were more difficult to handle.

Srinath was a genuine quick for about 3-4 years and could have been more, if he had played ahead of ageing Kapil and some other trundlers.

17 hours ago, Vijy said:

Srinath was a genuine quick for about 3-4 years and could have been more, if he had played ahead of ageing Kapil and some other trundlers.

I would say, Srinath was genuinely quick between 1991 and early 1997, when he injured his rotator cuff.

He was at his quickest in 1995 and 1996.

Edited by express bowling
3 hours ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Yadav was quick today.

but this is the problem

From Cricinfo:

The follow-up ball

Taking wickets in a Test match is often a result of a nice set-up. The ball that gets you the wicket isn't always the best ball. In fact, very often the preceding few balls lead you to commit the fatal mistake, and that's why it is important to follow up a good ball with an equally good ball. The first bouncer to Hameed, which hit him on the gloves, was followed by a ball that drifted down leg straight to the keeper. The same thing happened in the next over from Umesh. The ball that hit Hameed in the unmentionables was followed by another ball down leg.