With Asif out of the series should India now prepare seaming tracks?

Most of you would agree that the Indian seamers need helpful conditions to do well. So if they go for spinning pitches then the onus will be on A Kumble who has been below par in the recent series against SA and ENG. The second spinning option will be H Singh or M Kartik and both of them haven't played a test match against a top team for a long time. PAK at the present moment only have Shoaib and Gul that can trouble IND. Gul IMO isn't any better than the Indian pace bowlers while Akhtar's record against India isn't special plus he is the sort of a bowler who when bowling well can take the pitch out of the equation. So if Akhtar is going to have a good series then he will have it even on the spinning tracks. Another reason for IND to think about seaming pitches is because the PAK openers are still very fragile against seam and swing and more importantly for me the lower middle order batsmen(Malik and Misbah) are far better players of spin than pace.

Its a very interesting quandry to be in. Even with Asif in, I would still be tempted to play seaming tracks because it was those very seaming conditions in 2004 that we out-did Pakistan, with Balaji-Nehra-Irfan bowling brilliantly. But spin is our traditional strength and we must fully utilize it. Ideally, I would like a pitch that offers bit for the bowlers in the first hour of every morning, be decent batting surfaces on days 2,3 and assist the spinners on days 4 and 5. That would be our best chance. If we bat first and score 500+ ( which we can) , I think Pakistan's goose is cooked.

Gul IMO isn't any better than the Indian pace bowlers while Akhtar's record against India isn't special plus he is the sort of a bowler who when bowling well can take the pitch out of the equation. So if Akhtar is going to have a good series then he will have it even on the spinning tracks..
Gul will be a handful to handle in seaming tracks. He can quickly take 3 wickets in like 5 overs. Actor if in form, can be devastating - we all know that.
If Shoaib and Gul are fit, Pakistani pace attack minus Asif will still easily better our pace attack. And i'd say currently, PAkistan's middle order ( Yousuf, Younis and Misbah) are stronger than our middle order.
:omg_smile: what exactly younis and Misbah have done recently that you rate them higher than our middle order.. shocking comment i wud say
what exactly younis and Misbah have done recently that you rate them higher than our middle order..
Misbah is a bit of a strech i admit, but i think he will do well given how he is in great touch these days and is a different player than when he played tests last.. As for Younis..i was talking of Younis Khan...who's done EXCELLENTLY against India and in general most oppositions in the last couple of years. Their middle order, at this point of time, is definitely better than our middle order comprising of out-of-form Dravid, a once-great-now-mediocre Tendy and the rest who potter around every now and then for a 50.

Not seaming tracks. Just bouncy ones. Enough to give Kumble and perhaps Kartik/Harbhajan some kick from the surface, and let RP and Zaheer - both 'hit the deck' type bowlers who can also swing/seam/reverse it - be effective. Pakistan's batting can struggle a bit against seam movement, but it is bounce that can destroy them completely. Remember 72 all out in Perth a few years back, or that pitiful collapse in Mohali to Ntini - http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/iccct2006/engine/match/249754.html . India have enough batsmen who can handle bounce in Jaffer, Laxman, Tendulkar and Dravid. Pakistan have Younis at best -Yousuf's too often undone during/after short ball barrages. Even Dhoni's improved a lot against the higher balls. And it'll prepare the side a lot better for the big tour in December.