Why people think Harsha Bhogle is a poor commentator?

Actually harsha is good when he tones down his humor and just asks the right questions to the analysts....the problem is when he himself becomes the analyst or asks retarted questions which probably are funny in his mind to try and make the analysts laugh.....in turn they get more annoyed with him. He seems to be a guy I would want to have a conversation over a few beers though :dontknow:

He has not played cricket professionally. Probably that is the reason why he gets overawed easily by the presence of other ex cricketers , some of which are superstar cricketers and hence is always praising them rather than talking more about the match on hand. Then digs out stories about other players that his co-commy has played with. Then asks some quiz questions as if he is doing that Horlicks Quiz contest with kids which he hosted for Zee TV. When he does all that in one session of commentary, his relevant talk regarding match on hand is far too less than other gossiping.

thing is there is only so much you can take of a person. he is been at it for 20 or so years now. with cricket on for 80% of year you get a lot of him all the time. I am sure people liked shastri when he started and harsha was admired lot more before. now he just seems like a parody of himself. his appeal was that he is a normal guy getting to be with these cricket stars. but after so long his awe and talk of romance of cricket feel fake

I used to like listening to him too but now he talks way too much than he should and tries hard to crack a joke which ends up in a disaster. Problem is he tries to crack one too many. Eg: After a batsman hits a 4- M.Holding: 'Runs' 'That's a sweetly timed 4' Harsha: 'ahh...there might be few on this planet earth who could put that away in such fashion, and this guy is a sure candidate. It's a wonderrrrfulllyyy timed shot for 4. It is these kind of shots which makes you wonder why this game of cricket is so beautiful. And with that drive he moves onto a wonderrrrffulll 50'

I used to like listening to him too but now he talks way too much than he should and tries hard to crack a joke which ends up in a disaster. Problem is he tries to crack one too many. Eg: After a batsman hits a 4- M.Holding: 'Runs' 'That's a sweetly timed 4' Harsha: 'ahh...there might be few on this planet earth who could put that away in such fashion, and this guy is a sure candidate. It's a wonderrrrfulllyyy timed shot for 4. It is these kind of shots which makes you wonder why this game of cricket is so beautiful. And with that drive he moves onto a wonderrrrffulll 50'
nailed it.
:haha::haha: So true
he spoils nice banter b/w ex-test player commentators he gets sold out to white people very fast. there was atherton i believe next to him when england's wickets are falling and he kept saying noooooooooo everytime an english wicket fell lol
True. I watched the highlights and I noticed he spoiled the moments a bit with his stupid commentary. He really irritates me when he is on air. He did the same during Champions Trophy final as well. He just gives off a very negative, low confidence vibe. Manjrekar is another one. He was continuously going, "Noooooo, what are you doing England ? What's going on here ? England are just panicking blah blah blah " rather than appreciating the bowlers' effort. If it had been some Eng or Aussie commie talking about their team, they would praise the bowlers and focus less on the other team.