Why people think Harsha Bhogle is a poor commentator?

Harsha does Radio commentary on TV. People trying to concentrate on visuals and he continues his non-stop commentary... Sometimes his tone is not right... There comes a time when it gets irritating... I wouldn't like to become a co-passenger with him... He'll bore me to death...

Harsha BhogleVerified account ‏@bhogleharsha as a budding commentator,soon after helmets arrived,i would try to identify batsmen by the brand of bat they used having seen them in photos
this was posted an hr ago by bhogle.. was this in some sort of reply to slickr's tweet of this thread?

Harsha's strength is also his greatest weakness. His commentary is strictly apolitical, non-controversial and as bipartisan as possible. These can make his comments look mundane, but they have also ensured 2 decade plus career in sports broadcasting. Besides, regular people like you and me still cannot fully digest the fact that a non-cricketing member of the public can actually have successful career in cricket commentary and make all the money that he has. Plain ol jealousy at work here..

Harsha's strength is also his greatest weakness. His commentary is strictly apolitical, non-controversial and as bipartisan as possible. These can make his comments look mundane, but they have also ensured 2 decade plus career in sports broadcasting. Besides, regular people like you and me still cannot fully digest the fact that a non-cricketing member of the public can actually have successful career in cricket commentary and make all the money that he has. Plain ol jealousy at work here..
I don't think thats the case here. He was very well liked as a commentator till a few years ago - at least thats the case with a lot of people I know (even many here on ICF) who used to like his commentary earlier but now he just speaks too much and doesn't allow the other commentators to speak - that gets quite irritating so people don't like him now.
I don't think thats the case here. He was very well liked as a commentator till a few years ago - at least thats the case with a lot of people I know (even many here on ICF) who used to like his commentary earlier but now he just speaks too much and doesn't allow the other commentators to speak - that gets quite irritating so people don't like him now.
Do you really think he talks more now than he used to? I think he's been exactly the same, except we as viewers/listeners have grown tired of his voice.
Do you really think he talks more now than he used to? I think he's been exactly the same, except we as viewers/listeners have grown tired of his voice.
I feel he does speak more now. Nowadays they have started having three commentators at one time so many a times he buts in when the other two are speaking or he doesn't give others a chance to speak. The fact that we've been listening to him for many years is also a factor (thats is why people are now tired of Shashtri and Gavaskar) but Harsha has definitely been speaking more than he used to earlier.
No jealousy in my case. For me, he talks lot of irrelevant things and hardly enough technical analysis of the batsman or bowler or on field happenings.

If Harsha stops interrupting others and , when his turn comes, talks more about the cricket match going on... I would like him. I think his main issue is .... he thinks like a compere even when he is commentating and constantly feels the need to keep the show going ... forgetting that unlike a roundtable discussion which he often comperes .... here the main show is the cricket match going on.

Long video but one of the best speeches I have heard...Harsha @ IIM Ahmedabad...Tells us about his values and beliefs, success, life and a host of other things [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaw_bKOkULM]harsha Bhogle at IIM - YouTube[/ame] On his commentary, he should just reduce his talking by about 25% - will help if this fellow Mohandas Menon stops tweeting all kinds of stats during matches that Harsha obviously sees and feels the need to bring up in commentary... Also, we need to remember that he is usually the only non-cricketer in commentary box and it is sort of his job to help the cricketers talk about what they would do....would look odd if Sourav,Dravid,Wasim keep telling what they would have done without someone asking them... Think of him not as a commentator but as a chat show host in a live cricket environment...will be more bearable