Has your regard for Imran as a cricketer changed?

It has been several years since Imran Khan made his self confession that he had tampered with the ball in a county match using bottle cap in the 80s. W.r.t this matter several articles have been published too. If we go thru the internet we can see several topics related to this even in several cricket web forums.that means, ever since he made that admission , it can be easily assumed that a lot of cricket lovers now know about this matter. i am sure this is the case with a lot of members in this forum too. As far as i am concerned he used to be the best all rounder from the 80s in my teens just because of his averages . but the more i got to view cricket , the more i realized that there was much more than mere averages. Kapil became my premeir all rounder from 80s .Now, because of his self confession to tampering, what ever remained in my mind in support of Imran has taken a beating. i place him only some levels below as a pure bowler than what i percieved of the same before.quite naturally he is only 2nd or probably '3rd behind Botham' for me because i can't take the credentials of a tamperor as such. My question is 'how do you view him as a cricketer/all rounder after all these events' ? is he the same number one all rounder from the 80s ? or has he gone down by some yards.?

Well i lost all respect i had for Wasim Akram and Waqar as well as lot of Pak players who were mentioned and fined on basis of Qayyum report. Imran at least was not like them although ball tampering is cheating. Don't hold him in high regards as he cheated by tampering but certainly did not stoop as low as other Pakistani players.

IMO Imran, Wasim and Waqar were much much better than the pace bowlers we ever produced in Tests...In ODIs, our bowlers are closer than an average Pakistani would admit...e.g Kapil was a much better ODI bowler than Imran...as complete package, he was even better... The ball tampering issue of all three definitely tarnishes their image ( and fixing also in case of Wasim ) but they would still be better than our bowlers. No problem in admitting that. So, to the question in OP - the answer is Yes. Imran's image has taken a beating after the confession but kudos to him for atleast coming out openly...

Lost all respect the day I read he refused to accept his daughter out of wedlock .A man who won't accept his child is nothing but a rotten piece of SH*T.The fact that he turned out to be a cheater only reinforces his absolute lack of character.Bloody efffing hypocrite!!!!!!Chala desh sudharne!!!

imran is open about it we don't know how many do it or have done it that aren't open about it though. hadlee, donald and waqar have all said that ball tampering should be legal so it makes you think how many people do/have tampered including the greats.

Lost all respect the day I read he refused to accept his daughter out of wedlock .A man who won't accept his child is nothing but a rotten piece of SH*T.The fact that he turned out to be a cheater only reinforces his absolute lack of character.Bloody efffing hypocrite!!!!!!Chala desh sudharne!!!
Didn't the founder of their nation did something similar? Hypocrisy runs deep in that nation.
imran is open about it we don't know how many do it or have done it that aren't open about it though. hadlee' date=' donald and waqar have all said that ball tampering should be legal so it makes you think how many people do/have tampered including the greats.[/quote'] a lot of them admitted to doing doesn't mean it is illegal. on the contrary , suppose there was some one in all probablity who didn't tamper with the ball in those days. it seems Kapil to me was one. he has thoroughly confirmed, he didn't tamper with ball. also Kapil was only medium pacer as we all know. so in all probablity Kapil was not some one who was involved in tampering.that being the case my opinion is that a person who didn't involve in tampering needs to be given extra points for their over all performance as player. you may doubt as to this as an attempt to place Kapil higher and Imran lower. but then it is quite natural.we all desire players from our nations to be rated better. but if some opposition player thoroughly deserve to be better than our own player we have to accept it. for eg: Kumble & Warne. with over 600 wkts to his name we all know Kumble was an all time successful spin bowler.but we know this too that Warne with such magical action and better records was a better bowler than Kumble. so we just accept this fact because Warne was perfect .But here having known that Imran was a tamperor , i can't take his credentials as such.