US Open - 2014

bones

1. For the nth time, what has playing style got to do with the present wrist injury? 2. "If Federer had chronic knee issue then he would definitely have trouble with it from time to time but less trouble than someone like Nadal would..and that is the whole point!" That is a pure conjecture, not a definitive argument. No one knows how ones body would react to it. Some people might get injured after running 100 miles, some might go on for 500 with similar injuries. That is why your initial objection of using the word "DESPITE" is based on your own hypothesis and not facts. The fact is that Nadal has been able to withstand injury breaks, come back and win slams. So it is indeed amazing that he has won 14 slams despite struggling with so many injuries and breaks in his prime and playing against top players like Novak and Federer almost ALL the time. I still don't see why you would object to that.
I mentioned Nadal's playing style and his training - which apparently is by far more rigorous than pretty much everyone else's and that includes Djokovic. If you are talking about his wrist injury specifically, then it could very well be a result of some extreme work on his backhand. Who knows? As I said, wrist injury is not something that is totally unrelated like genital warts or something like that. What you say is also conjecture, not fact. I'm not claiming I speak nothing but gospel truth nor am I trying to pass off views as facts. Looking at it logically though, it is - at least in my eyes - clear. I find bringing Del Potro and others here into it as irrelevant and frivolous an argument as Bones' claims about Del Potro's recovery time being significantly more which IHO somehow is proof of drug abuse from Nadal. In a nutshell, everyone's body/recovery time/whatever is different. Some people get injured faster and easier, some don't. Playing style and training methods do have a massive influence on frequency of injury and Nadal is definitely more prone to injury because of that. You clearly don't agree and think that he is merely unlucky to get injured every so often. Fine by me :)

Nadals is not unlucky, he is fortunate that he is playing till now despite his style. That extreme grip,shoulder rotation,heavy bulk and running for every ball is just not an effective playing style. Everybody that has played some basic level of tennis knows that a western grip player is susceptible to wrist injuries more so than others. He isn't unlucky.

Nadals is not unlucky' date=' he is fortunate that he is playing till now despite his style.[/quote'] No that was the wish of some people ever since he started beating their hero regularly. He wasn't supposed to last more than 3-4 seasons. If wishes were horses beggars would ride. ;) You do realize that he injured his right wrist not left? Just FYI Nadal's FH grip is semi western most of the time. He rarely uses the extreme grip. There are many players who uses the FW grip more frequently than Nadal, Djokovic being one of them.

If you are talking about his wrist injury specifically' date=' [b']then it could very well be a result of some extreme work on his backhand. Who knows? As I said, wrist injury is not something that is totally unrelated like genital warts or something like that.
Exactly! You don't know. It could be anything. So when you don't know it is better not to pass definitive judgement. When a tennis player gets injured, there is a good chance that it is due something related to his game. The problem is singling out Nadal, as if he was destined to get injured but everyone else is unlucky.
What you say is also conjecture, not fact. I'm not claiming I speak nothing but gospel truth nor am I trying to pass off views as facts. Looking at it logically though, it is - at least in my eyes - clear. I find bringing Del Potro and others here into it as irrelevant and frivolous an argument as Bones' claims about Del Potro's recovery time being significantly more which IHO somehow is proof of drug abuse from Nadal.
It is very relevant. Do you consider Del Potro as unlucky? Answer specifically. Remember his injury might also be due to "some extreme work on his backhand" as you put it.
In a nutshell, everyone's body/recovery time/whatever is different. Some people get injured faster and easier, some don't. Playing style and training methods do have a massive influence on frequency of injury and Nadal is definitely more prone to injury because of that. You clearly don't agree and think that he is merely unlucky to get injured every so often. Fine by me :)
Ha ha you are now repeating the things that I said. Anyone who gets injured for whatever reason is unlucky especially someone who has been struggling with injuries since his teenage years. There could be any number of reason for an injury. To say that someone's playing style is responsible for an injury and therefore he can't be termed as unlucky is pretty cold. It is even more ridiculous when one specific person is the target of that. Not surprisingly most people who think that way are Federer fans. :cantstop:

Exactly! You don't know. It could be anything. So when you don't know it is better not to pass definitive judgement. When a tennis player gets injured, there is a good chance that it is due something related to his game. The problem is singling out Nadal, as if he was destined to get injured but everyone else is unlucky. It is very relevant. Do you consider Del Potro as unlucky? Answer specifically. Remember his injury might also be due to "some extreme work on his backhand" as you put it. Ha ha you are now repeating the things that I said. Anyone who gets injured for whatever reason is unlucky especially someone who has been struggling with injuries since his teenage years. There could be any number of reason for an injury. To say that someone's playing style is responsible for an injury and therefore he can't be termed as unlucky is pretty cold. It is even more ridiculous when one specific person is the target of that. Not surprisingly most people who think that way are Federer fans. :cantstop:
Heh? I've been saying all along that everyone is different. I don't see how Nishikori and Del Potro are at all relevant but since you ask I wouldn't call Del Potro unlucky either. If someone's getting injured too frequently then there's clearly some reason. You are acting like a tennis player injuring his wrist is something that has to have happened due to extenuating circumstances. It is unlikely it is the playing style in DP's case though, in Nadal's case it is. Again, you either seem to be making sweeping generalizations because I am a Federer fan or you've confused me with someone else because I am not "targeting'' anyone. I'd be wary of sweeping generalizations myself. There are people who shift goalposts, have double standards, clutch at strawmen and make retarded arguments and these people also happen to be Nadal fans but I wouldn't say all Nadal fans were like that.

Nadals is not unlucky, he is fortunate that he is playing till now despite his style.
Exactly. It is so blatantly obvious that his playing style and training methods make him more injury prone than perhaps anyone else on the circuit. Nadal wouldn't be Nadal without that and I think Nadal is great enough without us having to try and make out he's "unlucky" to have not won more slams.

Heh? I've been saying all along that everyone is different. I don't see how Nishikori and Del Potro are at all relevant but since you ask I wouldn't call Del Potro unlucky either. If someone's getting injured too frequently then there's clearly some reason.
It is very relevant because it is important to see if there is any double standards. But your answer is fair enough. It seems you don't consider any sports related injury as unlucky. I on the other hand consider every injury as unfortunate, regardless of the cause. When Sampras injured his foot and could not participate in two grand slams in 1999, especially the US open when he was playing some great tennis, I thought he was pretty unlucky. I have similar feelings for both Nadal and Del Potro.

Exactly. It is so blatantly obvious that his playing style and training methods make him more injury prone than perhaps anyone else on the circuit. Nadal wouldn't be Nadal without that and I think Nadal is great enough without us having to try and make out he's "unlucky" to have not won more slams.
No one said he is unlucky to have not won more slams. If you are referring to me I never said that. Besides the guy you are quoting does not even know which wrist of Nadal is injured and giving his expert opinions. Goes to show you the bias of some people. ( with him it's hardly a surprise though, after watching his blind MSD love)

Look as a rule of the thumb if someone's getting injured too often then they're doing something wrong. In Nadal's case, I wouldn't say ''wrong'' because if he changed his playing style or the way he trains he wouldn't be the player he is. In DelPo's case I think he's been guilty of trying to rush back from injury too often. Whether that is because he wants to maximize his earning potential when he still has years ahead of him or something else only he knows, but I definitely wouldn't call it unlucky. If someone slipped off the stairs the night before a big game or tournament then I'd definitely call that unlucky, or cases like Yuvraj's where the illness/injury had nothing to do with his cricket. I'd possibly even be willing to cut some slack if someone got injured once in a blue moon but if it happened with regularity I wouldn't call that unlucky. It has to do with the way I rate players too. I rate longevity more than others do maybe - in all of sport. Longevity gets underrated sometimes. If say, Federer had pulled out in 2013 because of his back injury which had become a real cause for concern then, his stats and records would look better but he would be worse for it in my book. The ability to keep playing day in and day out is criminally underrated(not just Federer but also others). Consistency and longevity (top drawer performances obv) are the two biggest indicators of greatness. Also, it is not a slight on Nadal anyway. Arguably Nadal's biggest strength is his tenacity IMO and the way he comes back from injury all the time is a testament to his great courage and desire to be the best in the business. And while I wasn't referring to you per se(I've come across that argument from fans before elsewhere as well) you did seem to insinuate he would have won more slams by saying he won 14 despite his injuries.

Look as a rule of the thumb if someone's getting injured too often then they're doing something wrong. In Nadal's case' date=' I wouldn't say ''wrong'' because if he changed his playing style or the way he trains he wouldn't be the player he is. In DelPo's case I think he's been guilty of trying to rush back from injury too often. Whether that is because he wants to maximize his earning potential when he still has years ahead of him or something else only he knows, but I definitely wouldn't call it unlucky. If someone slipped off the stairs the night before a big game or tournament then I'd definitely call that unlucky, or cases like Yuvraj's where the illness/injury had nothing to do with his cricket. I'd possibly even be willing to cut some slack if someone got injured once in a blue moon but if it happened with regularity I wouldn't call that unlucky.[/quote'] I get it. Only unrelated injuries are unlucky in your opinion. That is fine by me if you apply that logic uniformly, not just to one player. I think differently, but that's alright. You are entitled to your opinion.

Something for the Federer fans before the USO. pizap_com14085420907161.jpg
Tennis is Federer I remember that when he played his first Cinti final in 2005,the crowd here in the Midwest knew little about him and was mostly Pro-Roddick. By the end of the match,they knew they were watching somebody special. Doubt he can win the USO,Djokovic is top dog .

Tennis is Federer I remember that when he played his first Cinti final in 2005,the crowd here in the Midwest knew little about him and was mostly Pro-Roddick. By the end of the match,they knew they were watching somebody special. Doubt he can win the USO,Djokovic is top dog .
I am not surprised, I've rarely seen any player being so universally liked and supported. The Brit crowd was cheering for Fed against Muray at the 2012 Wimby final! :hysterical: That IS amazing. Djokovic definitely favourite for the USO but I wouldn't write Federer off. Currently he is the one in better form(although some may say Djokovic tanked the Masters events to keep himself fit for the USO) and he is still 3-2 vs Djo at the USO which includes 2 straight sets wins and the two losses were matches in which Federer had match points(and one of those two losses was vs Djo in God mode). I think Stan will do well this time. Djo is always a threat at slams and Federer needs his ageing body to keep up.

Agreed.

Federer vs Nadal/Djokovic Match Played - 68 Federrer won 28 Federer Lost 40. Some thing Federer fans to ponder on :P
The insecurity! :hysterical: How about HTH of Nadal and Fed vs Djo in God mode in 2011? How many matches did he win? Match the following : 1)number of centuries scored by lady jaya outside SC excluding Zimbabwe in tests 2)number of centuries scored by Sanga in SA in tests 3)number of French Open Champions Nadal has beaten at RG 4) Number of non clay slams Nadal has. Match them and come back to me, I have more. Or just look at the picture again and start crying.

The insecurity! :hysterical: How about HTH of Nadal and Fed vs Djo in God mode in 2011? How many matches did he win? Match the following : 1)number of centuries scored by lady jaya outside SC excluding Zimbabwe in tests 2)number of centuries scored by Sanga in SA in tests 3)number of French Open Champions Nadal has beaten at RG 4) Number of non clay slams Nadal has. Match them and come back to me, I have more. Or just look at the picture again and start crying.
You took the bait