Why does Anil Kumble prefer HS instead of Murali Kartik for the playing 11?

fineleg

• Why does Anil Kumble prefer HS instead of Murali Kartik for the playing 11? or maybe Ramesh Powar should have been in the squad!

Question can also be termed as "How in the whole darn world can Harbhajan Singh get into a Test-11 in today's form"? If this is the way HS is going to bowl in INDIA, forget HS in the Test Squad for Australia tour (TEST matches)

Oh ... and what happened to Piyush chawla? Why wasn't he in the Pak ODI scheme of things?
So you were not aware that he was injured during the whole T20 series as well as series against Australia? He has come back from injury just before a month and is trying to get into rhythm by bowling for UP.
cuz hes a much better wicket taking bowler than karthik....simple
:hysterical: Please explain!!! In ODIs he is effective because he can be tidy because when he fires it in at leg stump its hard to put away. But seriously ... wicket taking? In Tests? Has he ever done anything decent outside the sub-continent in Tests? Id put Kartik and Powar above Harbhajan in Test matches ... I remember Bhajji had a good series in England several years back ... but over the past 2 years all he is doing is firing it into leg stump as fast as he can. Do think thats going to trouble any decent batsman?
Tests inside India are as important' date=' Bharat![/quote'] Well yes but the thing is even reasonable spinners can do well in Indian conditions ... hell even Michael Clarke has 6/9 in Indian conditions. It doesnt say much about the quality of the spinner. So a spinner like Kartik who has done very well in English domestic cricket too should be preferred over Kartik imo.

Doesn't India have selectors ?? I keep reading this stuff about the Indian captain preferring one player to another. Seems strange to me. I can't think of another country where the captain selects the team. Sure, their opinions carry some weight but the captain's job is to work with the XI given to him by the selectors. The Oz selectors may seek Ricky Ponting's opinion but he doesn't sit with them when they're picking a team or squad. Remember Brian Lara constantly complaining about his preferences being ignored by the selectors - notably Sir Viv ? It can vary sometimes on tour where the captain, vice captain and maybe one other senior player selects the team from the squad picked by the selectors but this is an Indian home series. Can someone shed some light please ?

I can't think of another country where the captain selects the team. Sure, their opinions carry some weight but the captain's job is to work with the XI given to him by the selectors.
Pretty amazing that you don't know that the final XI is chosen by the team management in almost all countries, specially overseas. Are you unaware of the famous incident when Waugh (captain) and Marsh (coach) out voted Warne (vice captain) 2-1 for Warne's spot in the side before the final Test in WI during the '99-'00 tour?
Pretty amazing that you don't know that the final XI is chosen by the team management in almost all countries' date=' specially overseas. Are you unaware of the famous incident when Waugh (captain) and Marsh (coach) out voted Warne (vice captain) 2-1 for Warne's spot in the side before the final Test in WI during the '99-'00 tour?[/quote'] Donny has been busy pointing fingers at fans of India, that he has probably forgotten such trivial matters :P
Pretty amazing that you don't know that the final XI is chosen by the team management in almost all countries' date=' specially overseas. Are you unaware of the famous incident when Waugh (captain) and Marsh (coach) out voted Warne (vice captain) 2-1 for Warne's spot in the side before the final Test in WI during the '99-'00 tour?[/quote'] Even more amazing you made such a comment when I clearly covered that aspect in my post: "It can vary sometimes on tour where the captain, vice captain and maybe one other senior player selects the team from the squad picked by the selectors ..." However, ..... this (Ind/Pak) is a home series.