Mallu power! New York Times apologizes for cartoon maligning India

Precambrian

That is a pretty disgusting cartoon. The worst part of the so-called stereotyping exhibited in that cartoon is that is not even effin funny, but just plain insulting. There are so many more funnier, yet non-offensive ways to portray how India is trying to break into an exclusive club.

At least they are patriotic. I don't understand so we have freedom of speech but can't express if you feel it's offensive and also good of generalizing and alienating your fellow country men only few keyboard warriors here have an issue. Keep whining.

I think the cartoon is rather a caricature than being offensive. We are a poor nation, and the majority of Indians look like the one in the cartoon. What's the alternative? Indian farmer in penguin suit? That looks like aping the west. Sometimes we need to embrace the stereotype.

Democrats are equally as racist as the repubs, they are just more sophisticated about it. That is why never understood why FOBs tend to vote for democrats. Particularly the Indian and Chinese variety since they atleast know the pitfalls of big govt first hand. And Republicans are far less anti India than Democrats.

There is an irony. Can someone tell me what exactly is offensive in this. Do we think those who use cows to for their livelihood are low lives?
well, the mass media wanted to promote the rich and colorful India, so tend to willfully ignorant about the poor. The definition of poor is the less westernized villagers and small town fellas. Sadly most Indians (esp the newly rich and middle class) follow that. Many cow owning milkmen are richer than men in suits. :cantstop:

There is an irony. Can someone tell me what exactly is offensive in this. Do we think those who use cows to for their livelihood are low lives?
Yup..when india has 2/3 of the worlds cattle and produces and consumes almost 25.4% of world cattle products,nothing's there to be ashamed of.

Neither it is offensive not it shows poor India..We should stop living in inferiority complex, if at all it shows our culture of hardwork, our respect and love for environment and animals, and our self-sustainability in farming..Why do we have to feel ashamed for a noble profession of farming?

Indians get riled up pretty easily on social media
So true. Oversensitive bunch!!! The cartoon is pretty apt ,considering the humble beginnings of the space pro gramme.How often have we seen pictures of parts being transported on cycles and bullock carts. AppleTransport3.jpg

I am not usually the over-sensitive type, but i really dont see the point of this cartoon. The official explanation was that this cartoon was meant to portray that space exploration was not just a domain of rich, western nations.. What is that even supposed to mean? If i drew a similar cartoon replacing the Western folks in the room with rich looking people and their fancy cars and replaced the farmer and his cow with a homeless looking man and a tata nano and captioned it - 'Look, its not just rich people who can buy cars, even the poor ones can..' would you not think it to be pretty elitist and offensive? And I have to say - It takes tremendous skill to somehow mis-handle what was essentially a huge triumph of Indian innovation and a great leap for mankind in general and make it look like rich v poor thingy. It shows that the cartoonist (and NY times) completely miss the point of space exploration. There's a reason why only 40% of all mars missions have succeeded, despite the fact that those space agencies have access to endlessly more resources than ISRO. Mars exploration is an incredibly difficult thing to do. The more I read about the details of this project, the more i am amazed how we got it right in our first try. This feat needs to be commended, instead of being stereotyped.

I am not usually the over-sensitive type' date=' but i really dont see the point of this cartoon. The official explanation was that this cartoon was meant to portray that space exploration was not just a domain of rich, western nations.. What is that even supposed to mean?[b'] If i drew a similar cartoon replacing the Western folks in the room with rich looking people and their fancy cars and replaced the farmer and his cow with a homeless looking man and a tata nano and captioned it - 'Look, its not just rich people who can buy cars, even the poor ones can..' would you not think it to be pretty elitist and offensive? And I have to say - It takes tremendous skill to somehow mis-handle what was essentially a huge triumph of Indian innovation and a great leap for mankind in general and make it look like rich v poor thingy. It shows that the cartoonist (and NY times) completely miss the point of space exploration.
No ...it would be very apt...though not fully accurate because homeless people can't afford the nano.....replace with a middle class fellow and then it would be apt .