Not bad for convicts, hey?

vroomfondel

...to borrow from a banner last seen at the Gabba. Rant Ensues. I am typing while I watch the highlights for today's play at the Gabba. The Aussies look as hungry as ever, but I see sparks of self-belief within the England team. The post-lunch session was one of the best I've seen in a long time, with Hoggard and Flintoff bowling lionhearted spells attempting to bring England back into the match. And then after lunch, Clark's counterattacking smackaround was great to watch. I see the anger and frustration of Flintoff as he screams at Facknor for having his finger up Punter's butt instead of in the air. I see Ponting's mastery of everything, contrasted with Hussey's brilliant understatedness. And I see Hoggard create two great balls from nowhere to take out Punter and Gilly in a single over. And I say to myself, _that_ is cricket. Even in the fragility of that insecure giant, Steve Harmison I see nervousness, development of character -- you can see that he cares. And then there's Mcgrath. And Warne armed with Flipper and Slider yet to come. It's great test cricket, played at a very high level. The atmosphere, the crowd (and the production quality) is brilliant. Sorry Bheem, I think the hype is justified. Point is, I can see that these players give a damn, and that it hurt the Aussies badly to lose the Ashes, and that it meant the world to this English team. It looks like a team game when the Aussies and the English play for the Ashes, and not just a collection of morons trying just enough to ensure that they are not the worst of the 11 players on the team. Who in our team actually cares about how we do? I don't even know anymore, Tendlya, Dravid perhaps, but nobody else. Who do you give the ball to when the opposition is at 300/3? I can think of Anil Kumble, and that's about it. It's painful to watch how we roll over and lube over repeatedly without even a hint of shame or hurt. Meanwhile, their supporters treat them like gods, and would give their collective left nut for a win (heck, even a decent loss at this point). Who the fack cares what we think? It's not like we're going to stop watching India, and drink Coke and not Pepsi cause Tendulkar failed again. We're the victims of a monopoly that we have helped create. I don't have the means or the time to watch all the cricket I would like to, and as a result, have only been watching select India games for the last year or two. You can tell why it's so refreshing to watch quality cricket for a change. For the first time ever, I wonder to myself -- is it worth following my shyte team as it continues to add to its resume of shyte cricket all around the world? I'm trying to find a reason other than blind patriotism to watch our sorry baztards in SA, when I could be watching really good, engaging cricket with players that actually care about their fans and how they play. I have no reasons other than said patriotism. If I had to choose between watching India play or anyone else, I would still watch India. It's a facking addiction -- like being in love with a chick that you know will always treat you like shyte. And it sucks, and I wish I could just stop and not give a crap. ok, all done. pass the tissues.

Re: Not bad for convicts, hey?

If I had to choose between watching India play or anyone else, I would still watch India. It's a facking addiction -- like being in love with a chick that you know will always treat you like shyte. And it sucks, and I wish I could just stop and not give a crap.
:lmao: :lmao: Sums it up. but just like this chick she will very occassionaly give you some good times.

Re: Not bad for convicts, hey? vroom, good post. yes we are sucking at the moment. but this first ashes test has been anything but competitive. pretty poor bowling by eng (bar flintoff) and a couple overs by Hoggard. what exactly do you find so exciting about this test that made you call it "test cricket played at the highest level"?

Re: Not bad for convicts, hey? Vroom.. a lot of good points and I appreciate that you love watching the poms and the Aussies fight it out in the middle. I wonder if you followed England v Sri Lanka? Most of the England players were pretty much the same and they did put in similar efforts. The crowd thronged the grounds and supported them through out even when they were losing pretty much every game. I don't reckon they made a fuss about having to support a losing team then. They still have come out in numbers to Australia to support. They support them not because they win or lose, they support them because it is the team they love. Unfortunately the same passion is not in my countrymen. They want to support our boys when they are winning but when they don't, they don't deserve to be supported??? I appreciate you lauding both the poms and the Aussies for giving their everything but what makes you think our ones don't give everything? This is the same team that beat England, Pakistan and Sri Lanka convincingly. Just that they are losing now they become sorry bastards is it? Sorry I don't get the drift here. :roll:

Just that they are losing now they become sorry bastards is it? Sorry I don't get the drift here.
The common perception is the success went to the heads of youngsters after a few series victories..... They deserve a kick in the backside. Even Dhondy had doubts and I remember a great post whether Indians are playing from Heart. I dont fault vroom for having the doubts

...to borrow from a banner last seen at the Gabba. Rant Ensues. I am typing while I watch the highlights for today's play at the Gabba. The Aussies look as hungry as ever, but I see sparks of self-belief within the England team. The post-lunch session was one of the best I've seen in a long time, with Hoggard and Flintoff bowling lionhearted spells attempting to bring England back into the match. And then after lunch, Clark's counterattacking smackaround was great to watch. I see the anger and frustration of Flintoff as he screams at Facknor for having his finger up Punter's butt instead of in the air. I see Ponting's mastery of everything, contrasted with Hussey's brilliant understatedness. And I see Hoggard create two great balls from nowhere to take out Punter and Gilly in a single over. And I say to myself, _that_ is cricket. Even in the fragility of that insecure giant, Steve Harmison I see nervousness, development of character -- you can see that he cares. And then there's Mcgrath. And Warne armed with Flipper and Slider yet to come. It's great test cricket, played at a very high level. The atmosphere, the crowd (and the production quality) is brilliant. Sorry Bheem, I think the hype is justified. Point is, I can see that these players give a damn, and that it hurt the Aussies badly to lose the Ashes, and that it meant the world to this English team. It looks like a team game when the Aussies and the English play for the Ashes, and not just a collection of morons trying just enough to ensure that they are not the worst of the 11 players on the team. Who in our team actually cares about how we do? I don't even know anymore, Tendlya, Dravid perhaps, but nobody else. Who do you give the ball to when the opposition is at 300/3? I can think of Anil Kumble, and that's about it. It's painful to watch how we roll over and lube over repeatedly without even a hint of shame or hurt. Meanwhile, their supporters treat them like gods, and would give their collective left nut for a win (heck, even a decent loss at this point). Who the fack cares what we think? It's not like we're going to stop watching India, and drink Coke and not Pepsi cause Tendulkar failed again. We're the victims of a monopoly that we have helped create. I don't have the means or the time to watch all the cricket I would like to, and as a result, have only been watching select India games for the last year or two. You can tell why it's so refreshing to watch quality cricket for a change. For the first time ever, I wonder to myself -- is it worth following my shyte team as it continues to add to its resume of shyte cricket all around the world? I'm trying to find a reason other than blind patriotism to watch our sorry baztards in SA, when I could be watching really good, engaging cricket with players that actually care about their fans and how they play. I have no reasons other than said patriotism. If I had to choose between watching India play or anyone else, I would still watch India. It's a facking addiction -- like being in love with a chick that you know will always treat you like shyte. And it sucks, and I wish I could just stop and not give a crap. ok, all done. pass the tissues.
That's the definitive post, folks. Now do you realize why I slate this guy for being a lazy baztard? Once in a while, he writes like this and makes me want to dance for joy or tear out my hair, and then...nothing..he goes back to measuring gamma-radiation or whatever the hell he does for a living. Fukc, fukc, fukc...what a waste!

Re: Not bad for convicts, hey? There's no point, PK. It won't come even remotely close to the quality of this. This thread should become a sticky on how to write a piece and make people feel they are looking through rarefied air at what's going on in your mind. The clarity of thought is stunning. I still can't get over it.

...It's a facking addiction -- like being in love with a chick that you know will always treat you like shyte. And it sucks, and I wish I could just stop and not give a crap. ok, all done. pass the tissues.
LOL, you got that right. For me, supporting India is like having a fantastic one-night stand with some bimbo, only for you to wake up in the morning and realize to your horror that she has a c0ck. :hmph: Still, i feel like the Indian team is a part of my family or something...i have watched the careers of many of these players unfold in front of my eyes, i have been through the times when they did well and when they disappointed me. Shared in their joy and sorrow. That's where the addiction comes from, and you will never be able to just walk away. Totally agree on your thoughts regarding the Ashes. I expressed similar opinions to yours the last time an Ashes bashing thread came up. It's one of the greatest sporting rivalries in the world and embodies all that is good about the sport of cricket. Two fiercely competitive teams playing their hearts out, giving no quarter and asking for none. That's the spirit in which a sport is meant to be played. Unfortunately i haven't had an opportunity to catch some of the action myself, but i will watch at least 1 test.

Re: Not bad for convicts, hey? the post is not great writing. but fine, whatever floats your boat. yoda, bheem-- Aus were 400/3 at some point, I think. I saw Freddie come on and almost take Ponting's head off with a bouncer that rose from length. And Hoggard was swinging it both ways and trying hard to pitch it right. It worked, and fine, Aus still declared at ~600/9. But at least it wasn't 600/5 (which is what I would expect from our test spearheads sreesanth, rp and pathan). That makes a huge difference to morale. I expected them to roll over and die, but at least they fought. compare this to my team India. ravi -- yes, I know we haven't played a test in a while (and the last time we played, we won), and I'm comparing our OD performance to tests. And I know our team isn't as bad as they look right now. And that we had pretty much the equivalent of ZERO practice matches. And this is the same team that beat SL, Pak, England. It was a combination of recent things. BCCI being chewtias: duleep trophy ball shortage, formal dress fiasco, tour management (lack of practice matches), BCCI VP blaming players for non-performance "even after BCCI has done so much to support them" -- that's almost a direct quote. And all this in context of the board bidding for global broadcast rights. And then our team can't get to 100. I saw tendlya, dravid and dhoni apply themselves, and that was it. I can't believe that we let two-bit histrionics driven morons like Nel stomp all over us. And then Dravid says "I think we can play better", a regular sam spade this guy. wTF? Be angry, or slightly unhappy. any emotion? Fack, all will be forgiven if we win the tests...but I don't see HOW.

Re: Not bad for convicts, hey? But Boss, he is not comparing that Indian team to the Aussies...he is comparing the current one. That team had spunk. We all drooled over that one. This one looks like it'd be relieved to get away with anyhing short of a complete humiliation.