What's our bowling selection criteria?

I would love to understand how our selectors select bowlers and the criteria they apply for the said selection. I mean I must be missing something when guys with bowling averages of 23 and 22 in domestic cricket are not selected but a guy with bowling average of 37 is. And yeah the guy with bowling average of 23 also has a batting average pushing 40. Here are the stats and if someone can enlighten me I would be grateful... http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/290727.html http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/438362.html http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/360911.html

Varun Aaron is the bowling equivalent of a slogger. He is a gamble - I think the selectors know it. If he could make it big like Warner then we can thank our stars.
That may be fine but how can the guy who averages 37 at domestic level be expected to perform better at Test level? Praveen Kumar has already proven that the domestic performance does count at Test level with bowling averages in the same ballpark... http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/30732.html If we ignore our top bowling performers at domestic level how the hell will we perform better at intl level?
Lottery
Why? How is selection of bowlers with a bowling averages of 22 and 23 ahead of a guy averaging 37 a lottery? Why even play domestic level if all you want is speed and not performance? Hell, you can set up a speed gun camp and select the fastest bowlers! maybe this is what's happening and that's why we are struggling to pick up wkts. Guys who have managed to average 22 or 23 with the ball must have some skills else how did they pick up wkts? They have to be given a chance else banish Ranji trophy and have a 5 month IPL season.

nothing wrong with varun aaron, he's seen as a genuine threat rather than 130kph cannon fodder. these guys will take time, aaron was impressive in england too while the domestic legend pankaj couldnt buy a wicket. There's a difference between international class and domestic class and aaron is the former I'm more annoyed with shami and karn. Shami just looks so lazy now and non-threatening. He needs to get serious work done.

That may be fine but how can the guy who averages 37 at domestic level be expected to perform better at Test level? Praveen Kumar has already proven that the domestic performance does count at Test level with bowling averages in the same ballpark... http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/30732.html If we ignore our top bowling performers at domestic level how the hell will we perform better at intl level?
Rohit sharma has a FC average of 60 YET HAS NEVER DONE ANYTHING NOTEWORTHY OVERSEAS. This test match we just lost is the best example. He never stands up, yet a guy like Vijay who everyone wrote off fought like a champ.
Aaron had never played matches in continuit. He played an FC match in 2 years last season due to injury. Back then when he played between 2008-2010, he was too young and raw, also was plagued with injuries, the reason could only play 10 matches in 3 years. Only last season, he played a full season and averaged 20. Bowlers averaging 22, 23 plays in North India on green tracks in helpful conditions for swing in winters at Mohali and Dharmshala, Nadaun, etc.
nothing wrong with varun aaron, he's seen as a genuine threat rather than 130kph cannon fodder. these guys will take time, aaron was impressive in england too while the domestic legend pankaj couldnt buy a wicket. There's a difference between international class and domestic class and aaron is the former I'm more annoyed with shami and karn. Shami just looks so lazy now and non-threatening. He needs to get serious work done.
How do you know those guys will be cannon fodder? I saw Sandeep Sharma in Aus at u-19 level and the guy was a revelation. He moved the ball at the last instant both ways and made life hell for batsmen. So far he's averaging 22 with the ball and hasn't gotten a chance in tests so how can he be discounted? Likes of Dhawan and Sandeep deserve a chance ahead of others and their domestic performances say so.
Aaron had never played matches in continuit. He played an FC match in 2 years last season due to injury. Back then when he played between 2008-2010' date=' he was too young and raw, also was plagued with injuries, the reason could only play 10 matches in 3 years. Only last season, he played a full season and averaged 20. Bowlers averaging 22, 23 plays in North India on green tracks in helpful conditions for swing in winters at Mohali and Dharmshala, Nadaun, etc.[/quote'] Wouldn't it stand to reason that the guys averaging 22 or 23 playing in North India will be able to extract more helf from Gabba track than others? At least they have proven they can take wkts. Aaron averages 37 with the ball in FC cricket and to me there's a huge gap between 22 and 37. A difference of 22 and 27 can still be debated but 22 and 37? No way does that happen anywhere in the world.
So did likes of Rishi Dhawan and Sandeep Sharma and guess what? They have done it consistently their entire domestic career till date. They deserve their chance else stop domestic cricket and have a 5 month long IPL.
Bowlers with pace are always preferred at International level. Sandeep is too young at this point to be picked. He is bowling 120-122kph which isnt good enough at test level.
Wouldn't it stand to reason that the guys averaging 22 or 23 playing in North India will be able to extract more helf from Gabba track than others? At least they have proven they can take wkts. Aaron averages 37 with the ball in FC cricket and to me there's a huge gap between 22 and 37. A difference of 22 and 27 can still be debated but 22 and 37? No way does that happen anywhere in the world.
No, they are such bowlers who can be helpful in England where ball swings in the air. At, gabba, you will have to hit the deck. Its Summer in Australia. They are not hit the deck bowlers.
How do you know those guys will be cannon fodder? I saw Sandeep Sharma in Aus at u-19 level and the guy was a revelation. He moved the ball at the last instant both ways and made life hell for batsmen. So far he's averaging 22 with the ball and hasn't gotten a chance in tests so how can he be discounted? Likes of Dhawan and Sandeep deserve a chance ahead of others and their domestic performances say so.
Well: Vinay kumar (tests and odis), zaheer khan, unadkat, even guys like mithun and pankaj singh prove me right. Now a guy like umesh yadav did well last AUS tour.. and he's not even on the team sheet. Fact is, it takes time and patience to build fast bowlers. They will give no balls, they will send bouncers that go past the keeper but they take wickets and keep you in the game. Yadav, aaron and ishant/shami is the best attack. Now sandeep sharma, didnt say anything about him, has good swing but you need more. This isn't england. Need to hit the deck as well. I'm even willing to give a guy like dinda a chance in a 4 pacer unit if he could hit the deck and swing it which it looks like he can.
What really do fans want? When they select Trundlers' date=' then they need Phaaast pacers and when they select Phaaaast pacers then they needs trundlers again ?[/quote'] fans want ready made steyns, johnsons and morkels. Yet they overlook the crap that johnson went through years back and what he did to get to where he is now. It takes time and common indian fans are stupid, end of.
Bowlers with pace are always preferred at International level. Sandeep is too young at this point to be picked.
Why are they preferred when they can't even perform consistently in domestic cricket? And why is Sandeep too young when he has performed consistently throughout? Are we waiting for the time when he gives up seeing the whims of selectors so we can say "He wasn't good anyway." The guy has shown he can take wkts right from u-19 level to FC level. He deserves to get a shot and if he fails then move on. So far he has answered all the questions and checked all the boxes as far as performance is concerned.
Why are they preferred when they can't even perform consistently in domestic cricket? And why is Sandeep too young when he has performed consistently throughout? Are we waiting for the time when he gives up seeing the whims of selectors so we can say "He wasn't good anyway." The guy has shown he can take wkts right from u-19 level to FC level. He deserves to get a shot and if he fails then move on. So far he has answered all the questions and checked all the boxes as far as performance is concerned.
Sandeep is only 20, dont another bowler to be ruined by picking him early. Same thing happened to Irfan, Ishant. Regarding Aaron, he averaged 25 in EPT in 2011, 20 last season, need to exclude before that as it was injury riddeled. No one can really do well when struggling with injuries.
fans want ready made steyns' date=' johnsons and morkels. Yet they overlook the crap that johnson went through years back and what he did to get to where he is now. It takes time and common indian fans are stupid, end of.[/quote'] Exactly. And as RKT said these bowlers will only get help from swing friendly conditions as England. In Australia, you need pace, sheer pace, you hit the deck hard you get wicket. It's not an easy game in Australia.