Positives for India from the Test series

bowl_out

A fairly good comeback after a shyte 0-4 loss in 2011-12. What do you think are the positives that came from the series. Here are a few:

• Murali Vijay coming across as a solid opener stabilizing one position in the line up
  • Virat Kohli's return to form. Close to 700 runs in the series
  • Ajinkya Rahane's consistency with the bat
  • Ashwin coming across as a fairly decent overseas spinner after his pukeworthy performances earlier
  • Dhoni calling it a day in Test matches. We can finally look at grooming a youngster to keep wickets under a new captain
  • Rahul comes across as a solid opener. His brain-fart in his first match will probably etched in his memory for long, and keep him grounded when he plays in the future
  • Suresh Raina's pair reaffirming that he doesn't belong to this format. Hopefully enough for selectors to realize it too

Apart from VK, Jinks and Vijay, I reckon that Shami was a genuine positive. Highest wicket-taker amongst the pacers and avg 20-odd with the bat. He can walk away quite satisfied, for someone playing his first Oz tour. BK showed that his batting is truly international-level and should bat higher up. At the same time, he really needs to add some extra yards of pace and zip.

Ashwin's performance. It was unfair to drop him after a single bad test in SA. He bowls excellent lines to left handers but has to improve bowling to right handers. Much better than Lyon in this series. Of course his batting is a huge plus Hope we get another spinner so that he can bowl in tandem. Harbhajan was lucky he had kumble

Ashwin's performance. It was unfair to drop him after a single bad test in SA. He bowls excellent lines to left handers but has to improve bowling to right handers. Much better than Lyon in this series. Of course his batting is a huge plus Hope we get another spinner so that he can bowl in tandem. Harbhajan was lucky he had kumble
I don't think he was better than Lyon. Just look at their respective records... and we Indians are supposed to be the champs of spin. If you remove that 4-fer where Oz was always aiming for quick runs, Ashwin's record is quite ordinary. Even his batting in this series, apart from the 50, was not up to his usual standard. Should get a 5.5/10 for his efforts in the series - an improvement but certainly not excellent.

Turn bounce and caught in slips is definitely not the definition of "aiming for quick runs and getting wickets". Batting wise it is the situation that matters. He may have not runs but he had a 2 30 odd scores a test saving partnership with Dhoni a 50 in the 1st innings and played 30odd balls today. Pretty good stats for a no 8

^^ Thought he bowled better than Lyon in the Sydney test. He did not flight the ball much in Melbourne and seemed very defensive bowling flat stump to stump... The last test gives me some level of confidence in him..
I agree on that count. Overall though, he was quite ordinary. Worryingly, his batting regressed (despite the 1st innings 50).

Avoided catastrophic 4-0 defeat on flat friendly pitches offered by Aus this time. Positives : Ashwin managed to get 3 balls to turn at SCG. Rahane's champion resolve and consistency with the bat . KL Rahul . Murali's performance as opener. Kohli's good form. Rohit Sharma's majestic assiduity despite the barbs of jealous inferiors.

Not sure whether Ashwin can be considered a positive. He might be the best spinner in india, but he isn't world class abroad. Other than india, I don't know if he'd make it to the XI of many test playing countries.
If it's a 1-spinner attack, he would not make it to SL (Old Man Ranganna) or Pakistan (Chuckmal or Yasir Shah). On pitches that have bounce, but little turn, Lyon would probably be a better bet too. I think he'd walk into the other teams though.
Avoided catastrophic 4-0 defeat on flat friendly pitches offered by Aus this time. Positives : Rohit Sharma's majestic assiduity despite the barbs of jealous inferiors.
Can you pls quote 3 instances of this happening? Maybe I was watching a different match
If it's a 1-spinner attack' date=' he would not make it to SL (Old Man Ranganna) or Pakistan (Chuckmal or Yasir Shah). On pitches that have bounce, but little turn, Lyon would probably be a better bet too. I think he'd walk into the other teams though.[/quote'] I don't think he'd make it to England (moeen ali, Monty), West Indies (narine, Benn), South Africa (tahir)
I don't think he'd make it to England (moeen ali' date=' Monty), West Indies (narine, Benn), South Africa (tahir)[/quote'] And how many of these spinners would make into Indian team ? None of them is good enough to replace Ashwin in Indian team either . There isnt any stand out spinner in international arena nowadays to talk about world class or walk into one team. Even the best spinner Herath couldn't do anything in NZL.When they needed him to break a partnership
And how many of these spinners would make into Indian team ? None of them is good enough to replace Ashwin in Indian team either . There isnt any stand out spinner in international arena nowadays to talk about world class or walk into one team. Even the best spinner Herath couldn't do anything in NZL.When they needed him to break a partnership
Tahir is utter crap in Tests. Moeen Ali picked up a load of wickets, but I don't think he'll sustain it. Monty is washed out. Narine is a chucker, and not a Test bowler. Benn has heart, but lacks penetration.

the batting in this series was basically Vijay, Rahane and Kohli with the add ons. Kohlis form was a positive for me and throughout this overseas test the emergence of Rahane and Vijay has been gratifying. Lokesh Rahul appears to be a well collected player. Needs more time but has the technique. the bowling i am failing to find a positive. Dont think of anything. Its not just that the Aussies scored runs. The rate at which they scored those runs meant India were constantly on the back foot with the bat. In the 5th test India batted out 253 overs and barely managed to scrape a draw. In most test matches batting this amount of time would have meant a very easy draw when the opposition has batted about 193 overs.