Mindy Kaling - whats your opinion on her?

AmreekanDesi

Quite amazing that somebody who would have never found work in india other than as a unfunny caricature becomes so famous in america. Good on that country' date=' and good for her.[/quote'] Yep. Nina davuluri is a good example, though she never born here, but I think she wouldn't even won Miss Local Street if so.

I think she knows deep down she really isn't considered attractive in a traditional Indian way and that's given her a huge inferiority complex. No doubt she sucks up to goras by trying to act like the assimilated good ole American girl. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Boring and unfunny...but i think she fits the white north american description of Indian girl so they find her oddly soothing. For Indians she looks more african origin for an Indian origin person than they can take. The problem is because of subtle racism in white north Americans and Indians. Many White Amerians think Indians look like this. jarwa-reserve-of-andaman-and-nicobar.jpg But many Indians want to think they look like this. zjd_1.jpg Veramindy Chokalimgam looks like this.. Mindy-Kaling-no-makeup.jpg she probably traces back her lineage to these jolly indian citizens.. probably... FL19DALIT2_1414008g.jpg you can see the problem right there..its perception/reality. i actually like the old ladies from somewhere in Tn they voted, i did not last election, they are better than me...

Good god what a pic. She's clearly not attractive. I agree she makes a living based on what white Americans think Indians look like. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The operative point is she is popular in a field where often people become popular for being attractive, that could be the problem here. But i dont dislike her, just that she wont be considered attractive in any culture, even in her own.. See its got nothing to do with her skin color or face, look at this lady for instance, she looks pretty normal Tamil girl of certain socio-economic subdivision, but she is in a supposedly glamorous presentation, and i know guys in a personal level who might find this girl a 6 on 10. Ramya-Actress-Photos_32477.jpg I think veramindy just wants to pander to her niche,as an outspoken and visually unattractive yet fully naturalised Indian-origin american person.

I think she makes a living as a lot of people like what she does, nobody watches TV with equal opportunity in mind. And yes, most of us have the similar skin color as she does so whats the big deal ?
whhat is your (and other posters) opinion on the fact that some people like her strengthen and promote the stereotypes associated with their ethnicity (Indian in this case) in order to make a living. what i find wrong abt is that many americans who watch her popular show derive their opinions on people from our part of the world through shows like this. i guess its atleast a better image put forward than some from entertainment shows a decade or 2 ago but theres still progress to be made. But actors and actresses like mindy (who conveniently and in her show, pointedly westernises her name to make it sound cool and not lame) play a role in keeping the stereotypes alive and kicking. when was the last time where an indian guy was just a normal guy on a show and his character didnt revolve around humor at the expense of the associated stereotypes