Ian Chappel : Open with Rohit and Binny, with Kohli at No. 3

bowl_out

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/823545.html :haha:
India's World Cup defence is looking as shaky as Christchurch in the midst of an earthquake. An opening attack of Stuart Binny and Bhuvneshwar Kumar, which India utilised at the Gabba, is not going to have the opposition batsmen searching for sleeping pills. There might be an argument for fitting Binny into the ODI side as an allrounder who can provide some runs and a few economical overs, but certainly not as a new-ball bowler. If India achieve nothing else in this tri-series - and the way they have started, it's looking ever more doubtful - they need to sort out the make-up of their attack for the World Cup. A good start to a resurgence would be to reinstate Virat Kohli at No. 3, where he previously spent some time in ODIs. With Rohit Sharma and Kohli at the top of the order. As Shikhar Dhawan continues to struggle under Australian conditions, perhaps the time is right to open the batting with Binny. He looks technically capable and this would give Dhoni another bowling option, which appears to be a priority. Despite his batting woes, young Axar Patel looks okay with the ball. A spin combination of Patel and R Ashwin might help give India some much-needed control in those crucial middle-to-late overs and also provide some wicket-taking impetus.
he's got a point.bunny could replace bhuvi and could also be a pinch hitter' date='allow Rohit to bat casually[/quote'] He can be the fifth bowler at best. I don't think Dhoni trusts him enough to remove one of his main bowlers. It might work out, but it is too risky to try it out so close to the WC. I'd instead have Rahane and Rohit open with Dhawan at 4. If they do try it, the line up with look something like : Rohit, Binny, Kohli, Rahane, Dhawan, MSD, Raina, Jadeja (or Ash), Bhuvi, Shami, Ishant

Stop tampering with the team now. You cannot chop and change openers 2 week before world cup. All these things should have done before but we choose to stick with Dhawan then. We must go with the same openers (Dhawan+Rohit) in world cup. They will fail obviously like the team but can't change anything now.

Stop tampering with the team now. You cannot chop and change openers 2 week before world cup. All these things should have done before but we choose to stick with Dhawan then. We must go with the same openers (Dhawan+Rohit) in world cup. They will fail obviously like the team but can't change anything now.
rahane did open before tbh so we need to pick inform one out of three but otherwise agree with your post .
Would have agreed with your post if not for this phrase. I'd have preferred something like, we have invested in them, and believe they will do well.. If you feel they will fail obviously, why persist with them?
He can be the fifth bowler at best. I don't think Dhoni trusts him enough to remove one of his main bowlers. It might work out, but it is too risky to try it out so close to the WC. I'd instead have Rahane and Rohit open with Dhawan at 4. If they do try it, the line up with look something like : Rohit, Binny, Kohli, Rahane, Dhawan, MSD, Raina, Jadeja (or Ash), Bhuvi, Shami, Ishant
If Binny does play and if its a non seaming track, I'll rather have 2 spinners. Since Binny is quite similar to BK, although slightly quicker, would replace BK by Ashwin.
Would have agreed with your post if not for this phrase. I'd have preferred something like, we have invested in them, and believe they will do well.. If you feel they will fail obviously, why persist with them?
Dhawan's overseas batting does not inspire any confidence. So there are 95% chance he will fail. New openers are untested and will be like a gamble. World events are not a place to gamble and try combinations. So you need to stick with openers whom you have persisted with last 2 years. Will they succeed? Looking at the stats I guess no. Do we have time to try a new opener - No.
Dhawan's overseas batting does not inspire any confidence. So there are 95% chance he will fail. New openers are untested and will be like a gamble. World events are not a place to gamble and try combinations. So you need to stick with openers whom you have persisted with last 2 years. Will they succeed? Looking at the stats I guess no. Do we have time to try a new opener - No.
If your answer to the first question is a strong No, I'd answer the second question with a YES
I'd agree. But at this point unproven tampering might be better than carrying a proven failure in these conditions (Dhawan).