Robin Uthappa

Bumper

An FTB, but a pretty good one at that. Predominantly front footer, but since our entire batting lineup is full of FTBs (barring one or two), i'd take him to the world cup. I'd take Gambhir also, Raina gets the boot. He has been far too many chances and doesnt deserve anymore.

Re: Robin Uthappa ftb maybe, but what he's done with his assertive knock is make sure he gets some chances to show what he's got. the boy's in red hot form, and scored more runs than anyone else from/in India has lately. we can use that, provided he shows consistency in whatever opportunities follow.

Re: Robin Uthappa FTB is a word which is loosely thrown around.... if a guy is strong off the front foot but not as much off the back foot, means he is an FTB??? Then Sehwag is the biggest FTB... Ganguly is another... Tendulkar nowadays is.... It just means, he might have to learn how to counter bouncier tracks, which i am sure, he will learn..... he didnt need to use his backfoot play much today, if he had one.... But his innings reminds me of Sehwag's blitzkrieg when he was given a chance to open..... Not many youngsters around who can go and blitz 70 in 40 balls in an international game..... I say, back that guy...

Re: Robin Uthappa

FTB is a word which is loosely thrown around.... if a guy is strong off the front foot but not as much off the back foot, means he is an FTB??? Then Sehwag is the biggest FTB... Ganguly is another... Tendulkar nowadays is.... It just means, he might have to learn how to counter bouncier tracks, which i am sure, he will learn..... he didnt need to use his backfoot play much today, if he had one.... But his innings reminds me of Sehwag's blitzkrieg when he was given a chance to open..... Not many youngsters around who can go and blitz 70 in 40 balls in an international game..... I say, back that guy...
not right to call this guy a FTB after just 4 odis..btw he played in Australia in the top end series and had couple of decent knocks. Has shades of sehwag from 2001-02 about him, hopefully developes into a smarter version :wtg:

FTB is a word which is loosely thrown around.... if a guy is strong off the front foot but not as much off the back foot, means he is an FTB??? Then Sehwag is the biggest FTB... Ganguly is another... Tendulkar nowadays is.... It just means, he might have to learn how to counter bouncier tracks, which i am sure, he will learn..... he didnt need to use his backfoot play much today, if he had one.... But his innings reminds me of Sehwag's blitzkrieg when he was given a chance to open..... Not many youngsters around who can go and blitz 70 in 40 balls in an international game..... I say, back that guy...
Front footer doesnt auotmatically mean FTB, but many of his on the rise drives, that he authoritatively hit for 4, wont work in different conditions. IIRC, he even pulled a half tracker over mid wicket for 6, from the front foot. That shot is almost impossible to execute on a more bouncy track. Almost all FTBs that i know are front footers (Afridi, Dhoni etc). Sehwag, Tendu on current form are FTBs ofcourse. They never score on bowler friendly pitches. That said, i already acked his splendid performance. He deserves to be picked ahead of the Rainas & Kaifs for sure. Besides his FTB skills might suffice in WI conditions, atleast for some of the games.

Re: Robin Uthappa Way too early to analyze someone or label someone FTB. How does anyone know he is not good enough on pitches that has bounce and pace? It is possible he just gets on the front foot and hammers the ball but maybe he is blessed with timing. Maybe he has more time than the rest to play his shots. I wouldn't label him a FTB till about the time he is tested on different pitches. Even Ponting's first movement is planting the front foot but that doesn't mean he is not a good back foot player. For now he has done what he can do best, score runs. I think he should be appreciated for that and not be doubted upon what he cannot do at present. I'm sure West Indies are not going to dish out bouncy green tops for the World cup fixtures.

Front footer doesnt auotmatically mean FTB, but many of his on the rise drives, that he authoritatively hit for 4, wont work in different conditions. IIRC, he even pulled a half tracker over mid wicket for 6, from the front foot. That shot is almost impossible to execute on a more bouncy track.
all explosive openers hit on the rise on flat pitches.... gayle, gilly, haydos, anwar.... they all used to hit on the rise... infact, sachin of the 90s used to cream bowlers including mcgrath with boomin on the rise drives.... nothing wrong with it in odis..... performance in SA or Aus is over-rated.... how often does one play there.... very small percent compared to playing in SL, home, pak, windies, england in summer...

god this bumper idiot always against india. I really have a sneaky suspicion he is a dumb pakistani acting like indian. GO GET A LIFE. :tired:
Bumper is one of the founders of this website and if he is not an Indian I'm French :lol: :hic:

hes always shined on great indian batting wickets' date=' but if hes gonna play the WC in west indies? how is he goin to do? he hasnt played much cricket outside of India.....[/quote'] he will be fine.... Windies pitches dont have anything infact.... no spin, no bounce, no pace.... we need power players for the WC and he fits the bill to a tee..... we lost in windies odi series earlier, cos of the dearth of power players... kaif, raina, rao formed at any time 2 of the 5 batters.... wat do u expect.... we lost it totally in the middle overs... this time, with sachin, dravid, yuvi and sehwag in the middle..... it will be VASTLY different....

Re: Robin Uthappa I think he sucks a'ss, and i don't rate him at all. But hey; Veeru can't score in a wh0rehouse and Gambhir struggles to get to double figures - whenever he does, he fails to carry on. India aren't spoiled for choice, so picking this kid - as flawed a batsman he may be - is the only option left for the selectors. I can empathise with them and would probably do the same thing myself. Personally - with the WC in mind; i'd go for Ganguly and Tendulkar at the top of the order. Demoting either of them doesn't make sense. As an opening pair, they are as good as India has got. The problem India needs to address first is the one regarding the pivotal #3 batting position. Pathan can't do the job on a regular basis, niether can Raina and Dravid is better suited to batting in the middle order. Good ODI sides have got their best batsmen in that position - Australia got Ponting, SA got either Gibbs or Kallis, WI will have Sarwan or Lara there.

it is ridiculous thought' date=' that if a particular batter has scored really well as an opener, he has to bat there irrespective of the team needs.... Sachin needs to shore up the middle order, and there is no reason he cant....[/quote'] We've had this debate in the past, and Tendulkar has done the "shore up the middle order" thing before too - with mixed results. I'd say your best batsman should be allowed to face as many overs as possible. The team needs Tendulkar at the top of the order.

Re: Robin Uthappa Tendulkar and Dravid were great in the middle order the other day. Something weve been lacking -an accumulator in the middle overs, espeically since Yuvraj has been injured/out of form- else he scores quickly in the middle order. I like SRT/RD at 4 and 5. Ganguly should open, but with whom, is the $456.78 question. No3 is important -true. Dhoni? Gives him overs to bat and once he settles down he will score big and fast. Not technically great, and having him walking in at 3 dosent sound ideal if an early wicket falls. But he has shown an ability to apply himself without going for crazy shots. If he can do more of that, settle down and then accelerate...well you never know. Yuvraj at 3 is probably more realistic. and he is probably technically (more) accomplished enough to bat there. Can he face the newer ball ...??Not great agst swing. If he knows what to leave at the start of his innings it would help. That leaves Kartik at 6. What about Sehwag....??

Yuvraj at 3 is probably more realistic. and he is probably technically (more) accomplished enough to bat there. Can he face the newer ball ...??Not great agst swing. If he knows what to leave at the start of his innings it would help. That leaves Kartik at 6. What about Sehwag....??
Yuvraj is who i want to see at #3 (Pathan can be used up top occasionally). Tendulkar and Ganguly opening, Dravid at #4, Sehwag at #5, Dhoni at #6, Karthik at #7, Pathan at #8. If a few of them are scoring, that makes one mean batting lineup. You need the big hitters lower down for the slog overs, and the accumulators at the top of the order.