BBC Greatest ODI XI

bulbul

Most of his strike rate was achieved on postage stamp sized Indian grounds' date=' you'll find his strike went to **** when in Australia-England, massively overrated cricketer.[/quote'] This is the truth. He is grossly overrated by Indians. I remember when cricinfo had their 'pick the all time test team' feature. The trillion or so Indians all voted for their stars meaning Kapil was picked over Sobers, Miller, Botham or Imran for the all rounder position. :giggle:
Rubbish. May be Australia has the smallest postage stamp sized grounds perhaps? Kapil strike rates in various countries: (ODIs) Australia 92.67 England 107.01 India 98.89 NZ 84.98 Pakistan 112.94 SA 72.86 UAE 89.5 WI 104.06 His strike rates are on the lower side (by his lofty standards) only against SA, whom he played at the end of his career. Kapil test strike rates in various countries: Wi 91.4 Eng 85.27 SL 80.71 Pak 77.39 Aus 77.39 NZ 71.37 SA 65.37 Mind you these are his test batting strike rates in the 80s, most ODI batsmen did not have such strike rates during his time. Kapil was far more destructive than Viv Richards who had a career strike rate of 69 compared to Kapil's 81.
SRs don't mean much unless averages are added. What was his average in Australia? Mid 20s? Whoopty ****ing Doo!!
SRs don't mean much unless averages are added. What was his average in Australia? Mid 20s? Whoopty ****ing Doo!!
Changing goal posts, aren't you? Here's what you said -
Most of his strike rate was achieved on postage stamp sized Indian grounds' date= you'll find his strike went to **** when in Australia-England, massively overrated cricketer.
Have some shame.
stike rate is the prime benchmark of a lower order ODI player. I'd rather have an afridi, with an average of 20-something and strike rate of 100+ coming in at 45th over, over a Bevan, with 50+ average and 70-something strike rate. Given the fact that Kapil was on par with McGrath as an ODI bowler and is the perfect #7 batsman in an ODI team, he is far more deserving on an All-time ODI XI than any Aussie i can think of. The job of a #7 in ODIs is simple: 9 outta 10 times, its to bash a quickfire 20 off of 10 balls, 1 outta 10 times, its to dig in and bring in a big score at an acceptable strike rate. As a bowler, #7 must merit his place in the team as either a top level strike bowler or top level container. Kapil fulfills the batting job of an ODI #7 better than any other player in history of ODIs and is clearly one of the best containment ODI bowlers the world has ever seen, with an economy rate better than Imran Khan, Malcolm Marshall,Ian Botham, etc. despite bowling in much smaller grounds and far less responsive pitches.
Blaming Kapil's moderate returns on being 'over worked' is just silly. Hadlee was a 1 man army and his returns were amazing. Dev just wasn't as good as Indians make out. I know Marut is going to freak but those who saw him and the evidence as shown to the world shows that he a solid bowler and a slugger with the bat. This refers mainly to ODIs. In tests he was clearly the weakest of the 4 great ARs of his time. His bowling S/R is pathetic for a strike bowler. He averages just a shade under 30 with a SR of about 63.
Whats murali's returns in Australia ?? Kapil was a one-man army in conditions that didn't favor him, hadlee was a one man army in the perfect bowling conditions for fast-medium bowling. That, predominantly, is the difference in their stats.
stike rate is the prime benchmark of a lower order ODI player. I'd rather have an afridi, with an average of 20-something and strike rate of 100+ coming in at 45th over, over a Bevan, with 50+ average and 70-something strike rate. Given the fact that Kapil was on par with McGrath as an ODI bowler and is the perfect #7 batsman in an ODI team, he is far more deserving on an All-time ODI XI than any Aussie i can think of. The job of a #7 in ODIs is simple: 9 outta 10 times, its to bash a quickfire 20 off of 10 balls, 1 outta 10 times, its to dig in and bring in a big score at an acceptable strike rate. As a bowler, #7 must merit his place in the team as either a top level strike bowler or top level container. Kapil fulfills the batting job of an ODI #7 better than any other player in history of ODIs and is clearly one of the best containment ODI bowlers the world has ever seen, with an economy rate better than Imran Khan, Malcolm Marshall,Ian Botham, etc. despite bowling in much smaller grounds and far less responsive pitches.
On par with McGrath? :omg: Get ya hand off it daryl.
Whats murali's returns in Australia ?? Kapil was a one-man army in conditions that didn't favor him' date=' hadlee was a one man army in the perfect bowling conditions for fast-medium bowling. That, predominantly, is the difference in their stats.[/quote'] Isolating 1 set of returns but ignoring the bigger picture. :giggle: Murali is about 10 times greater than Kapil as a cricketer in tests or ODIs. Kapil is rated this highly here alone. Rarely does an expert pick him for anything. You are trying to present x or y picture to promote this gentle medium pace bowler who has a test strike rate which is a joke for a strike bowler. As an ODI cricketer he may have been a decent containing bowler but not much more. Oh sorry he scored 1 ton v Zimbabwe a decade or so before they got test status. Must be the best all rounder then. :hysterical:
Team based on reputations , especially the batting . Dhoni , Kapil & Virat should have been there in place of Kallis , Gilly & Lara
Dhoni > Gilly is not my pick but ok, some logic exists. The other 2 are silly statements. Kallis was a proper top order batsman and would be a good 5th bowler. Lara is the best batsman of his era and the best overall since Viv.
Isolating 1 set of returns but ignoring the bigger picture. :giggle: Murali is about 10 times greater than Kapil as a cricketer in tests or ODIs. Kapil is rated this highly here alone. Rarely does an expert pick him for anything. You are trying to present x or y picture to promote this gentle medium pace bowler who has a test strike rate which is a joke for a strike bowler. As an ODI cricketer he may have been a decent containing bowler but not much more. Oh sorry he scored 1 ton v Zimbabwe a decade or so before they got test status. Must be the best all rounder then. :hysterical:
he scored what is rated as one of the top 5 ODI knocks of alltime, coming in at 15/5 against a team that had beaten Australia that had Greg Chappell, Denis Lillee, etc. in the team. As per test strike rates are concerned, thats a different topic, we are talking ODIs here. as an ODI bowler, he was one of the best containment bowler in history. His economy rate is in the same ballpark as Marshall, Pollock and better than that of Imran Khan, McGrath, Botham, Murali, Akram. He was also the record holder for the highest ODI wicket taker for a long time, indicating durability at his craft as well. As i said before, find me one player who is better suited than Kapil to be slotted in at #7 of an ODI side. I can find a replacement for McGrath or Murali in ODIs, but for an alltime ODI list, there are 4 automatic picks : Sachin for opening, Viv for #3, Kapil for #7 and Akram as a bowler. Rest all are matter of opinion, the aboevmentioned 4 pick themselves fairly easily.