BBC Greatest ODI XI

bulbul

Kapil dev had the highest average rating among all all rounders. Kapil's peak of 632 has not been attained by any ODI all rounder in history. In fact, he is miles away from any other all rounder in history. Compare this to the peak of other top ODI all rounders: Imran 480 Botham 469 Hadlee 471 Akram 376 Kallis 506 Flintoff 544 Afridi 383 Ashwin 247 Jadeja 378 Shakhib 453 Watson 433 Razzaq 387 Jayasuriya 462 Kapil dev was so good that he remained near his peak rating between 1982-1989. No other ODI all rounder comes even close to Kapil dev. Kapi dev's rating is so good because he was perhaps the only ODI all rounder who was simultaneously a good bowler and a good batsman over a length of time - others were usually good at bowling or batting in a given period. The two skills came together only in Kapil, as proved by his ratings which are heads and shoulders above any other ODI all rounder to play the game. Kapil's peak rating is about 20% more than his nearest rival and Kapil dev maintained his peak much longer than any others.

No one picks Dev in these X1s. In recent days many have picked X1s - its always Kallis or Botham or Imran. Dev was a clever bowler and a good lower order slogger in ODIs. That does not merit a AT X1 place. His batting ave is boosted by 1 knock v an absolute minnow at that time. Minus that he averages sub 20. I'd pick Kallis, Klusener, Cairns, Botham, Flintoff, Imran and probably a few others in ODIs before I picked Dev.

No one picks Dev in these X1s. In recent days many have picked X1s - its always Kallis or Botham or Imran. Dev was a clever bowler and a good lower order slogger in ODIs. That does not merit a AT X1 place. His batting ave is boosted by 1 knock v an absolute minnow at that time. Minus that he averages sub 20. I'd pick Kallis, Klusener, Cairns, Botham, Flintoff, Imran and probably a few others in ODIs before I picked Dev.
Dont generalize what you think about Kapil with everybody else.You will pick Imran because you are a Srilankan. You even wanted Afghanistan to win yesterday. Am I surprised you support Imran?
Rubbish. Kapil's average with 175 is 23.79 and without that knock is 22.84. Average of 23 for a #7 at a S/R of 95 gives you a clear match finisher. In today's equivalent, Kapil would a batsman with average 30 and S/R 125, an Afridi on steroids. Imagine the terror he would cause to modern bowler's on modern phattas. Kapil was one of most miserly bowler of his times, often it was difficult to score 3rpo off him. His ODI rankings reflect all these.
From a country that won 2 world ups, there is only 1 player...what a joke? Surely Kapil and Yuvi needs to be in the team for the list to have any merit.
BCCI is a hated board, people see it is a bully. These lists show anti-bias towards Indians in general. Sachin was so good and influential that they would look like fools omitting him from any list. Apart from that, Indians stand no chance getting into these lists, as we are among the hated nations. Kapil's omission is a clear case in point. Kapil was leading the ODI rankings for most of the 80s, and by a significant margin. Kapil the bowler is also among the most underrated bowlers ever - Kapil was a lone wolf, and never had good support bowlers for most of his career. His stats do not do justice to his abilities as a bowler. Kapil bowled more spells than Imran and Botham as a bowler. Imran would often skip matches, underbowl in many matches, just to be fresh in every match he played. Did Kapil ever have that luxury? Kapil happened to miss one test and a half a dozen ODIs India played during Kapil's period. Imran missed much more than that, may be as much as 30-40% of the games. And Imran was a ball tamperer by his own admission. Botham was good only during his first three or four years, and he usually performed only against weak teams and bowled mostly on friendly English wickets unlike Kapil who toiled and moiled without support bowlers on unfriendly Indian pitches. Botham looked like a club bowler against the best teams like the West Indies while Kapil performed exceptionally well against them. Hadlee is a bowler I admire a lot. He too was a lone wolf like Kapil for most of his career and he did very well inspite of that. But Kapil as a batsman was way ahead of Hadlee, in both tests and ODIs. Kallis was a B grade ODI player for most of his career. As simple as that. No idea how he makes these lists as an all rounder. I would have at least half a dozen players ahead of him.
Dont generalize what you think about Kapil with everybody else.You will pick Imran because you are a Srilankan. You even wanted Afghanistan to win yesterday. Am I surprised you support Imran?
I care not a lick for Imran or Kapil. Just check all the X1s picked by x or y star and tally the names. Imran gets a few, Kallis a few - Dev 1 that I saw. Why blame me?
Rubbish. Kapil's average with 175 is 23.79 and without that knock is 22.84. Average of 23 for a #7 at a S/R of 95 gives you a clear match finisher. In today's equivalent' date=' Kapil would a batsman with average 30 and S/R 125, an Afridi on steroids. Imagine the terror he would cause to modern bowler's on modern phattas. Kapil was one of most miserly bowler of his times, often it was difficult to score 3rpo off him. His ODI rankings reflect all these.[/quote'] Ok, 22 average. That is basically Afridi at a lesser S/R. Congrats to Dev. :hysterical: :finger:
Afridi used to average 22 in the 1990s too but with a much better strike rate.
Kapil averaged 27 between 1978-1985 at a S/R of 103 - the final averages don't reveal you the destructive Kapil at his best. Kapil dev has test centuries in the WI during the 80s - compared to Kapil, Afridi is just a minnow bashing hack, whether it be batting or bowling.

This refers to ODI cricket only. What Dev did in test cricket is not the issue here. Now Dev has 1 ton in 230 odd games. That too against Zimbabwe in 1983. That is not a glittering record. Even Afridi - who is a slogger - has 4 or so tons I think in his 380 odd games? Add to that much more 50's if I am not mistaken. Some of those tons have come against India and ourselves - each better than 1983 Zimbabwe. :giggle: Cut it however you wish. Those are not great stats from the 'great' allrounder. We all laugh at Afridi's batting - swing and a miss :cantstop: - but his returns are akin to Kapil's. I have linked to 20 odd expert/player picks, 1 picks Dev. This notion of him as some sort of superman is pure Indian BS. In tests he was an average bowler and an ok bat - 1 good player when combined. In ODIs - which is the issue at hand - he was a good bowler and a lower order slogger. You forget I am in my mid 40s and saw plenty of Dev. He is correctly placed by neutrals as a solid pro - not equal to Botham or Imran or Hadlee in value to a team in either format. So why do you guys cry and whinge when hardly anyone picks him in their X1?

Russell Arnold's XI has Dev. Small pleasures. I personally would have Dev in my XI. Or maybe Klusener.
That's fine - it's your choice. But the evidence is clear - most people don't pick him. His medium pace is not a better pick that genuine pace offered by others. His lower order slogging is nothing special either.

Kapil Dev is just overshadowed by allrounders you would rather have. You would rather have Kallis, Imran, Flintoff, Botham and even Sobers even if has a horrible ODI track record. Kapil Dev is just lost in time. Some great players are like that, I mean look at Mark Waugh he was the best opening batsman, Dean Jones, Saeed Anwar, Gibbs and so on. These players are great but overshadowed by greater players that followed or were at the same time.