Retirements post World Cup 2007 (including other teams)

jf1gp_1

I am talking about ODIs and not tests. I have a feeling both Sachin and Saurav will announce retirement post World Cup. They will be joining Kumble who i have no doubt will retire after world cup infact before if he isnt in WC squad. Not so sure about dravid but if we play bad cricket during WC he also might just hang his power play bat. *** Just thought of adding names of players from other teams. Jayasuriya, Lara, Inzi, Pollock, would have added astle but he is already gone.

Re: Retirements post World Cup 2007 (including other teams) JF, I don't think so. Sachin and Saurabh are multi-million dollar industries in themselves, and will never give up years of earnings for a grand stand retirement. Trust me, they'll eke out every ounce of sponsorship money and other earnings before they hang their boots. There was and always will be, only one Sunil Gavaskar. Maybe Dravid will go his way when the alarm bells start ringing, but not those two.

Re: Retirements post World Cup 2007 (including other teams) I doubt both are concerned about money. Saurav was loaded to begin with, sachin has made a lot over the years and its not as if they wont be playing cricket both will still continue playing test cricket for next 2-3 years its just that i dont see them continue playing ODIs any more.

Re: Retirements post World Cup 2007 (including other teams) none.... saurav jus got back after a year after so much of a fight, not to retire immediately in a couple of months..... Sachin lost 3 yrs to injury and he aint leaving until he gets bak all his records.... and then he has an eye on captaincy too.... Rahul is still in the middle of his huge purple patch and he aint leaving for the next 2-3 years....

Re: Retirements post World Cup 2007 (including other teams) Hopefully SRT, RD and Saurav will retire. There is no point in them playing we need to start building for the future. Most importantly they can concentrate on test cricket instead of rubbish ODIs. There are a few young guys who have played international cricket and can take their places in the ODI team. They need to be given a long run soon, and post WC07 is as good a time as any. Starting with the England tour... Thing is though, WTF is the next captain of the ODI side...?

Re: Retirements post World Cup 2007 (including other teams)

Thing is though, WTF is the next captain of the ODI side...?
good question. obviously they had Veeru in mind which is now gone out of window. SRT is the VC, not sure what's up with that. is it just keeping to WC in mind? If yes, post WC is the tight time to start grooming the next captain by naming as the VC. of the current lot Yuvi would be my pick, though it remains to be seen how much leadership he has in him. I'd certainly prefer Yuvi over someone like Veeru as our next captain.

Re: Retirements post World Cup 2007 (including other teams) I really feel sachin needs to retire. Ganguly said 3 years in his interview i was like wtf. Dravid can play 2 years more, hes still good. Kumble can go. Laxman can stay for Test matches, i feel like this WC should be his farewell to ODI cricket.

Re: Retirements post World Cup 2007 (including other teams) If captaincy changes hands (from Dravid to SRT), SRT cannot retire. At this point in his career, I'd think SRT would have more affinity towards records (tests) than $$$. Ganguly could retire from ODIs (unless he is eyeing captaincy again). Laxman, Kumble will likely retire pre world cup. I'll likely retire from both tests & ODIs as well.

Re: Retirements post World Cup 2007 (including other teams) SRT may retire but I don't think so. Nothing left to prove. RD - no chance unless kicked out as captain (& he should be kicked out). SRG - not until guruji is out of India. He is going to outstay guruji in the Indian team. VVS - he should have retired 5 years ago - sorry Rohan. Anilbhai - he should have retired 5 years ago. Agarker - overrated as a ODI cricketer - he will lose us more games than win us many.